VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+13
Digz
Nightmoves
RodStRace
savage
itruns
Kakster
ViewMaster
BvrWally
m1dadio
donivan65
mo_1040
sasktrini
Scott
17 posters

All Systems STOPPED...

All Systems STOPPED... - Page 3 Empty Re: All Systems STOPPED...

Post by Guest Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:32 pm

The PINK wire is a 12 gauge wire that goes to the ignition switch. Mine recently had a short, so I pulled a fuse from the fuse box and the short went away. Now I have to find out what circuit that fuse belongs to. The words on my fuse box are almost worn off. You're not the only one with a wiring harness that has some issues.
    Scott - what year is your van? Mine is a '69 (built Nov. '68) that has 2 wires in the factory harness that don't show up in any book or schematic on this site. They are coming out from the dash and go down along the doghouse. They were cut at one time and I have no idea of where they originally went. Both are brown 18 or 20 guage and one has a white tracer on it. I guess all our vans have a mystery to them.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:52 pm

So what do you mean by a short,,,,,,,That pink wire probably powers the fuse box. So take a 12 volt test light, hook it in place of the fuse and if it lights, something is draining the battery,,,,,,start disconnecting things and connectors until the light goes out. Dome lights, radio, wipers, blower and lights are some of the suspects,,,,,,,unplug the connector off the headlight switch,,,,
    ViewMaster
    ViewMaster

Number of posts : 117
    Registration date : 2008-05-26

Post by ViewMaster Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:02 am

KC, below is the fuse panel with the labels. You can view the entire wiring diagram by clicking here and then click on the picture to open it in a window by itself and then you can click on it again to see it full size and you'll probally have to scroll around to view it.
    The pink wire is fed at the ignition switch in the run position and it feeds the coil in the doghouse and it also has a splice that feeds the (only one on the circiut) fuse for the instrument panel cluster lights and the 2 ignition unfused taps beside it.
    The brown wires coming from the dash are spliced in the harness going to the doghouse where it connects to the voltage regulator, the 24 gauge with the white stripe goes to the ignition switch and the 16 gauge goes to the generator light in the dash (where it is mislabeled a 20 gauge). They may have been cut if you no longer have a voltage regulator and/or have a 1 wire alternator.
    All Systems STOPPED... - Page 3 Fusebox-page-pic
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by Scott Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:19 am

Yeah, my van lost its fuse panel long before I got it..

I finally finished the front springs last night, and am back to wiring. I am upgrading the 12 gauge pink, red, and purple, wires to 10 gauge. The red was easy to find, and NAPA had the purple in marine wire. But I couldn't find 10 gauge pink anywhere. I settled on 10 gauge orange marine wire from NAPA.

KC, my van is a 68, so we probably have the same harness.

I started sorting out the wire in my van by using the color wire diagram floating around the site. As I was tracing each wire I found a difference in the diagram then what the service manual was showing. So I pulled some of the diagrams found here, http://vintage-vans.com/chevy_parts_dept.html (at the bottom of the page). I would have to check again to be sure, but I think an extra brown wire was pulled from the ignition over to the heater, instead of another pink running to the heater. I also found a few wires that list different gauges on the same wire. I can understand how that can happen since looking at that thing to long tends to make everything blur together.

I know great effort went into creating the color diagram, and its been a big help, but I have found it easier to use the black and white ones at the bottom of that page.
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:52 pm

The diagram calls for 20 gauge wire for the Water Tempature and Oil Pressure sensors. How specific does this need to be? I can't find 20 gauge in the right colors, but plenty of 18 gauge.

Post by Guest Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:38 pm

Donivan - I was checking my 12 gauge pink with a continuity tester and it looked like my battery had a slow drain on it. I ended up pulling the fuse for "cluster feed" - Thanks Viewmaster for the photo post. I now have no cluster lights until I find the reason for the drain. I need to make a new harness for under the dash. Everything from the doghouse entrance to the rear doors has been replaced with a scratch-built harness.
    Scott - my advice is to replace each circuit completely instead of patching it and leaving anything old for a future date.
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:30 pm

Like you I am replacing the patch jobs with entire circuits. My biggest hang-up is finding the right gauges in the right colors.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:08 pm

Unplug the headlight switch and see if the drain goes away,,,,,,
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:17 am

Scott wrote:The diagram calls for 20 gauge wire for the Water Tempature and Oil Pressure sensors. How specific does this need to be? I can't find 20 gauge in the right colors, but plenty of 18 gauge.

Alright, I'm guessing that the way these sensors work is by feeding different voltage based on the temperature or pressure. So, will changing the wire size to a thicker wire effect the voltage, especially when the wire is about 16 feet long?
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:53 pm

I doubt that going with a thicker gauge will decrease the resistance much if at all. There is no "Load" being placed on it that would cause the 18 gauge to heat up and create more resistance. There is less than a 4 ohm difference over 1000 feet of wire (6.385 for 18 gauge, 10.15 for 20 guage)
    http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

FYI to the Dodge guys - Our Dodges have a stainless steel resistance wire in there somewhere for the factory temperature gauge to function correctly.
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:41 am

This weekend I finished replacing all the wires coming off the engine, pulled them under the van and through the floor about an inch to the right of where the brake wires come through. It happened to be next to where the old harness rested against the hump. Since I wanted to get it started yesterday I decided to just splice into the old harness from there, figured I would finish pulling the wire to it final destination later.

I got it all spliced back in and it was just like before, just a click from someplace near the rear of the engine, starter wouldn’t even spin.

Since I have spent the last several weeks pouring over the wire diagram I knew where to start troubleshooting. I made a patch wire that ran to the horn and started checking the harness. It turned out to be the Neutral Safety Switch on the PowerGlide. I bypassed that switch and it fired right up, pulled it out of the garage for the first time in about a year. I pumped the gas four or five times and it fired right up.

I took plenty of pictures, but one of my kids took off with the camera before I could pull them off.

So now I’ve got to fix or replace that switch on the PowerGlide..

Anyone have a part number?
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:14 am

Glad to hear you got it stared. Cool I think the NSS is only a van thing?? So might be hard to find?? I found one on a van in the JY for the 68 with the PG
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067

Post by sasktrini Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:21 am

That's great news! I'm going to try that on my brother's Fargo A100!
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:06 am

First a picture of the bracket I made to hold the new wire harness away from moving parts under the van. I just used some spare parts around the garage. Some galvanized steel, aluminum floor molding, rubber grommets, and a couple of stainless steel bolts. I just bolted it up using the Brake Switch bolts.

All Systems STOPPED... - Page 3 Pictur14

Here's a picture of that Neutral Safety Switch on the side of my PowerGlide. It didn't take long to figure out that the small shaft that moves the switch fell off. The bottom yellow arrow is pointing at the hanging shaft, the top left yellow arrow points to the switch.

All Systems STOPPED... - Page 3 Pictur15
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:24 am

You know what? My brother and I pulled a P/N switch at the boneyard, and tried to crank the Fargo using the jumper to ground from the relay connection first... it moved about 15 degrees! Success! Thanks for the idea!

When I pulled the switch from the tranny in the Fargo, it was seized. No wonder it was always open and current couldn't flow. So we'll be good to go with that too! Hopefully I'll finish stripping my Ford and get it picked up in the next month, then my brother and I can drive the Fargo the six blocks over to my garage for the winter resto!!!

Thanks again for the tip!
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:54 pm

So I go out to the van yesterday and it wont start..

It spins, but nothing..

I figure out pretty quick that pouring a little gas in the carb fires it right off, so I checked the fuel filter, looks clean. But it was the kind inside the carb, so I pulled it out and put in a clear one in the line.

Another try and no fuel pumping into the clear filter, so I swapped in a different fuel pump, still nothing.

Then I used my air compressor to blow air into the line coming from the gas tank. (Tip: Make sure you remove the gas cap because I didnt, and blowing your tank up like a ballon makes a fountian of gas when you stop the pressure.)

I also pushed a wire through the line going down to the pump.

All that and still nothing going into the filter.

Then I pulled the line off at the carb and shoved it into a mason jar, hit the key and gas starts filling jar.

So I can pour gas in the carb and it fires right off, but gas won't get into the carb.

I don't know how it could have since it did have a filter, but something is plugging the carb. I tried carb cleaner on the little sprayer, and inside where original filter was located.

I'm afraid a rebuild is in order, but that gets a little deeper then I'm comfortable with doing.

The side says that its a "GM Mono Jet".

Any ideas?
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:35 pm

Sounds like your float might be stuck??
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:49 pm

Do I need to take it apart to un stuck a float, or is there a trick to it?

I guess it needs to be removed from the engine to work on it, to many small parts..

Last edited by Scott on Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:51 am; edited 1 time in total
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:06 pm

So you got fuel at the carb and you have the same problem if you take the filter out of the carb and try it. Has this been sitting a long time?
    Then tap on the carb while cranking or shoot some air into the carb fitting,,,,,,the rubber tip on the needle is probably stuck,,,,,air wont hurt it any,,,,,might splash you a little,,,,
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:49 pm

Rebuild kit should run $25-40. Can of carb cleaner, goggles, gloves, butcher paper, and a razor blade should put it right. Should be simple and easy to rebuild, just take your time and be careful.
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:25 pm

Don, it sat for a year, ran great last weekend, this weekend nothing.

Doesn't run without filter either.

Air into the carb fitting, where the fuel goes in right?

Itruns, thanks for confidence, hopefully it won't come to that..

Last edited by Scott on Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:50 am; edited 1 time in total
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:44 pm

The fuel pump is probably putting 3 lbs of pressure into the carb so shove 50 lbs of air in there and see how that needle and seat like it,,,,and you can have dead animals in there clogging up the passages also,,,,,,,just use a lot of air,,,,,,even take the mixture screw out and blast in there,,,,,you got nothing to lose,,,,,you can take the top off the carb and see how clean it is in there,,,,,that carb is not hard to rebuild,,,,,,
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:00 pm

I hit it this morning and got it running..

I started by pointing the straw for my Carb Cleaner can down the throat and into the jet. Then I did the same with compressed air, then compressed air into where the fuel line connects. Then thumped the side of the Carb with a screwdriver.

After all that it fired right up.. Very Happy

The back-up plan was to run down for a Carb rebuild kit..

Thanks for all the help, I'd be lost without this site..
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:31 am

This is more great news... I think that is also a step we need to take with the Fargo! No "first fire" this weekend... squirted some oil around the piston rings through the spark plug holes, also dripped some oil down the pushrods. Haven't looked at the carb as a problem at all so far, but I'm sure it's crusty like the rest of this engine!

Good job Scott! I'm glad I'm not the only one walking this path right now!
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:25 am

Found these Neutral Safety Switches online the other day.

I wrote him and he replied that he still has them, but I don't usually use Craigslist, and don't know that I want to chance sending $50.

He close to any of you?

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pml/pts/1337554570.html

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 6:22 am