VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
dix
drc
6 posters

Coleman Stopped Making Classic Green Lanterns?

drc

Number of posts : 298
    Registration date : 2010-09-13

Coleman Stopped Making Classic Green Lanterns? Empty Coleman Stopped Making Classic Green Lanterns?

Post by drc Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:16 pm

I know this is a little off topic, but I haven't seen a new, classic-traditional, Coleman green lantern in any store, or even on the Coleman web page in two or three years. You know... the ones we all have, with two mantles that run off of Coleman fuel?

Anyone know the story about that?
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8726
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Coleman Stopped Making Classic Green Lanterns? Empty Re: Coleman Stopped Making Classic Green Lanterns?

Post by dix Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:31 pm

propane bottles now a days, less maint, and better light, look on craigslist under camping should be a ton of them.

Number of posts : 298
    Registration date : 2010-09-13

Coleman Stopped Making Classic Green Lanterns? Empty Re: Coleman Stopped Making Classic Green Lanterns?

Post by drc Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:55 pm

Yea, I get the ease of propane bottles thing. My issues are:

1. I'm too old school. I like having to fill a lantern, spill that fluid all over, the pumping, checking the fuel level...

2. That fluid is just WAY too much fun on a camp fire. Ever try it?

3. Older is often built better.

I did happen to buy a Coleman 288B (Green classic one) at REI two or three years ago. It was their last one and I haven't seen one for sale in any store or web sight since. I'm just curious as to why they stopped making them. Dual Fuel ones sell better is my guess, along with the propane can models.

If anyone is in the market for one, they are all over ebay. Most at a decent price. I even happened to get one in pretty good shape that was made the year/month I was born. It works great, is simple to work on, and there are tons of parts out there.
    WYO George
    WYO George

Number of posts : 12
    Registration date : 2016-02-14

Post by WYO George Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:43 pm

I have a couple of the old ones, but the last three I bought are all the silver dual fuel models. I normally run white gas in them, but I like having the option to siphon a little out of the truck if I forget to bring along an extra jug of white gas (been there, done that!!)
    ChevyVanMan1

Number of posts : 425
    Registration date : 2009-07-19

Post by ChevyVanMan1 Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:20 pm

I think they are now "collectables".
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:41 pm

I prefer the old model 200 single mantle myself. I have a friend that collects coleman lanterns, you should see some of the one's he has pretty cool. He found me a red 200 like we had when I was a kid. He has one that runs off diesel that is a lamp with a shade. Nickle plated ones etc.
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:04 pm

I just bought a new Luxpro 1000 lumen LED lamp that runs forever (15 Hrs) on 4-D cells (cheaper than fuel or propane canisters per hour), has variable dimmer and is just as bright as the Coleman gas lamps and can be carried into van while lit at night and no mantles to deal with!
    http://www.frys.com/product/8713301?source=google&gclid=CNCOm5_TjM0CFUEfhgodPWUBbA
    Not as cool as the old Colemans, but more practical even for this old schooler from way back!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:58 am