VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+28
JariV
econolineherb
Van crazy
dante81_98
EconoCarl
Seth G
Das Boot
BillyBlaze
EcoPU
Magic Bus
Vannin Ken
Gothboy
G-Man
xjamesx
RipVanArkie
VanninBlaino
back2thewoods
Rayallen
vanny
dix
Digz
Army of Six
mothradeath
Twinpilot001
Lyrad
jimthefred
Big W
3onthetree
32 posters

Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels

3onthetree
    3onthetree

Number of posts : 308
    Registration date : 2012-01-25

Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels Empty Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels

Post by 3onthetree Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:25 pm

Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels 10-2-110

Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels 10-2-111

Decided while she was waiting for some parts, I would start to work on the Woody Panels. I am using 1/4 oak for the trim, and some 3M decals for the base. Here is just the start of mapping it out.

3onthetree
    3onthetree

Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels Empty Re: Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels

Post by 3onthetree Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:31 pm

Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels 10-2-113

Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels 10-2-114

Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels 10-2-115

And she fits nice a tight in the garage space that I have. Love them old bumper jacks, cant use them on too many new cars. And my best helper. Myles from Max and Myles Hot Rods. A buddy is flying in from Arizona to give me hand over the Thanksgiving weekend, but I will get a start over the next week or so. Headed to Carlisle this week to see what I cant live without!
    3onthetree
    3onthetree

Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels Empty Re: Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels

Post by 3onthetree Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:18 pm

Also looking to put wider wheels and tires in the back. Since I have to notch the frame anyway, I'm going to narrow the rear frame a bit and put a Suzuki Samurai rear end in. It is about 9.5 inches more narrow than the factory rear end, kit has 3:73 gears so I can run a bigger tire, and it is 5 x 5.5 lug pattern. I will be able to fit a 15 x 15 wheel back there, but I might stick with a 12 wide and 4 inch back spacing. Still want to run white walls so if I can get a nice big whitewall tire, I will go with the 15 x 15 .
    3onthetree
    3onthetree

Post by 3onthetree Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:53 am

Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels 10-12-10

Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels 10-12-11

Got the floor and the wheel wells cut out and the Suzuki Samurai rear end in place.
    3onthetree
    3onthetree

Post by 3onthetree Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:00 am

Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels 10-12-12

Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels 10-12-13

Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels 10-12-14

Started on the frame notch. Got all the parts cut and welded. Got one side tacked in place. Im gonna wrap the "frame" with 3/16 about a foot in front and back of the notch. Hopefully starting on the 4 link this weekend. Wheels should be here today.
    3onthetree
    3onthetree

Post by 3onthetree Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:21 am

Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels 10-14-14

Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels 10-14-15

Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels 10-14-16

Got the rest of the notches tacked in. Got the rear end in place with the wheels on it. Tires are gonna be tight. After the body drop, she might be tucking all wheel.
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:08 pm

How wide are the new wheels.
    3onthetree
    3onthetree

Post by 3onthetree Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:41 pm

Big W wrote:How wide are the new wheels.

15x12
    Big W
    Big W

Post by Big W Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:06 pm

Hmmmmm....that gives me an idea Idea ...I wanted to widen my inner fenderwell anyway for a littls extra clearence for 10 inch wide mags but looking at the space you have without moving the frame in, I'd have to say those 12's fit really nice. Glad I held back on buying mine this summer. Thanks for the pic and info.
    3onthetree
    3onthetree

Post by 3onthetree Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:33 am

Big W wrote:Hmmmmm....that gives me an idea Idea ...I wanted to widen my inner fenderwell anyway for a littls extra clearence for 10 inch wide mags but looking at the space you have without moving the frame in, I'd have to say those 12's fit really nice. Glad I held back on buying mine this summer. Thanks for the pic and info.

Cool. The only thing you will have to change the location of the leaf springs. I don't see why you just could not move them to the frame rails if you want to keep the leaf springs. Then 10's would fit easily. I did not try with the factory rear end in it, but with the right back spacing I am sure they would fit nice.
    3onthetree
    3onthetree

Post by 3onthetree Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:26 am

Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels 10-15-10

Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels 10-15-11

Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels 10-15-12

Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels 10-15-13

Got started on the crossmember for the 4 link today. Got the hole cut in the floor, and all the parts cut and capped.
    3onthetree
    3onthetree

Post by 3onthetree Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:19 am

Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels 10-16-10

Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels 10-16-11

Got the front crossmember tacked in. Ran out of welding gas and wire. Bedtime.
    3onthetree
    3onthetree

Post by 3onthetree Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:31 am

[img]https://i.servimg.com/u/f33/17/83/08/60/10-17-10.jpg[/img

Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels 10-17-11

Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels 10-17-12

Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels 10-17-13

Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels 10-17-14

Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels 10-17-15

Started on one side of the trailing arm. Semi mocked into place, I am going to mount the bag on the trailing arm instead of the axle to save some room.

jimthefred
    jimthefred

Number of posts : 326
    Registration date : 2012-01-15

Post by jimthefred Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:48 pm

this is getting good!
    3onthetree
    3onthetree

Post by 3onthetree Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:41 am

Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels 10-20-10

Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels 10-20-12

Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels 10-20-13

Well I am taking a break from the van for a few days. My chick wants some night stands for the kid. I had 2 smoothie wheels left over from the Econoline, and an extra steering wheel. I used a 59 Cadillac tail light lens that will act as a night light, that he will be able to turn on and off using the gear selector. I have not figured that part out, but I will. I used 1 1/4 conduit for the shaft so I could run some lamp wire safely.
    Lyrad
    Lyrad

Number of posts : 277
    Registration date : 2011-01-20

Post by Lyrad Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:02 am

Very Cool......keep the great pics coming.
    3onthetree
    3onthetree

Post by 3onthetree Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:58 am

Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels Image15

Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels Image16

Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels Image17

Got the tires mounted and under the van. They are just about an inch too wide. Bummer. Gonna have to get wheels with an inch more back spacing. They fit under enough to get the suspension set, but not to drive.
    3onthetree
    3onthetree

Post by 3onthetree Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:04 am

Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels Image18

Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels Image19

Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels Image20

Got the bushings for the bottom 4 link bars. Rounding off the ends.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:43 am

what size are those tires & wheels back spacing as used -on THOSE?
    Big W
    Big W

Post by Big W Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:57 am

Could you also post a pic of the tires from the inside, at ride height and lowerd...plz and thx.
    3onthetree
    3onthetree

Post by 3onthetree Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:43 am

Twinpilot001 wrote:what size are those tires & wheels back spacing as used -on THOSE?

The wheels are 15x12 with 4.25 back spacing. I need at least 5.25, and wouldn't hurt if it was a little more. I have some room between he inside of the wheel and the frame. The tires are 325 50 15. I could only get that size in drag radials. A little much for my 200 straight 6, but fit the wheel just right.
    3onthetree
    3onthetree

Post by 3onthetree Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:46 am

Big W wrote:Could you also post a pic of the tires from the inside, at ride height and lowerd...plz and thx.

I will do that once I get the suspension in place. I am just finishing the lower bars, and I have the material for the upper bars, so it should only be a couple of days before I have the rear end swinging. I will have to get the new wheels before I can show you exactly what you are looking for, and I still have to do the 4 inch body drop.
    3onthetree
    3onthetree

Post by 3onthetree Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:00 am

Big W wrote:Could you also post a pic of the tires from the inside, at ride height and lowerd...plz and thx.

[img]Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels Image_zpsd8e798c8[/img]
    Big W
    Big W

Post by Big W Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:17 pm

OH MAN!!!...I'm liken this look. What are you thinking for tubs? Will you re-use and widen the original wheel well or go with larger tubs with bigger diameter.
    3onthetree
    3onthetree

Post by 3onthetree Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:27 pm

[quote="Big W"]OH MAN!!!...I'm liken this look. What are you thinking for tubs? Will you re-use and widen the original wheel well or go with larger tubs with bigger diameter.[/quote

I'm gonna go with new tubs. Gonna make my own. Then a box to cover the axle and front cross member. Still a ton to do, but I am moving along.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:41 am