VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+28
JariV
econolineherb
Van crazy
dante81_98
EconoCarl
Seth G
Das Boot
BillyBlaze
EcoPU
Magic Bus
Vannin Ken
Gothboy
G-Man
xjamesx
RipVanArkie
VanninBlaino
back2thewoods
Rayallen
vanny
dix
Digz
Army of Six
mothradeath
Twinpilot001
Lyrad
jimthefred
Big W
3onthetree
32 posters

Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels

3onthetree
    3onthetree

Number of posts : 308
    Registration date : 2012-01-25

Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels - Page 3 Empty Re: Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels

Post by 3onthetree Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:00 am

[img]Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels - Page 3 Image-48_zps832f9c20[/img]

[img]Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels - Page 3 Image-48_zpsdf0a38a1[/img]

Got the van on the ground today. Getting like 14 inches of lift out of her. More than I will ever need. When the air is out of the back, it is only about 4 inches from rocker panel touching the ground. 4 inch body drop should be perfect.
    3onthetree
    3onthetree

Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels - Page 3 Empty Re: Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels

Post by 3onthetree Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:00 am

[img]Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels - Page 3 Image-20_zpscf69c793[/img]

[img]Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels - Page 3 Image-20_zpsa98a6f48[/img]

[img]Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels - Page 3 Image-20_zpsfd7cd566[/img]

Well, no turning back now. I gotta blame this one on Army of Six. Got the motor out of the van today. Beautiful day in New York. Pushed her outside and now she is back in her spot minus one motor. Mustang II IFS going in.
    3onthetree
    3onthetree

Post by 3onthetree Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:56 am

[img]Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels - Page 3 Image-20_zpsf19ef420[/img]

[img]Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels - Page 3 Image-20_zps9fd3ccc0[/img]

Got the air tank mounted today for the air ride.
    3onthetree
    3onthetree

Post by 3onthetree Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:00 am

[img]Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels - Page 3 Image-20_zps40e1c657[/img]

[img]Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels - Page 3 Image-20_zpsde71aa85[/img]

[img]Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels - Page 3 Image-20_zps5904a58b[/img]

[img]Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels - Page 3 Image-20_zpsbd52996a[/img]

Gt the floor cut out and the front axle out of the van. Did a lot of measuring and getting ready for ifs. We are waiting for some parts, and I think Santa is gonna screw up our delivery date, so we are thinking of sorting the body drop.
    3onthetree
    3onthetree

Post by 3onthetree Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:18 pm

Since I am waiting on parts for the ifs, a buddy and I decided to start on the 4 inch body channel. We first welded braces across the bottom of the body 4 inches up to help with keepin the body square, and also a stop to hit the floor at exactly 4 inches.

[img]Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels - Page 3 Image-20_zps6e480516[/img]

[img]Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels - Page 3 Image-20_zpsd97a3502[/img]

3onthetree
    3onthetree

Post by 3onthetree Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:23 pm

Then we started cutting the outside of the body. Jacks and blocks to hold the body square while we cut. Plasma cutter made the job pretty easy. Lucky to have it. There were just a few braces that needed to be cut from the underneath of the van.

[img]Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels - Page 3 Image-20_zps5126f100[/img]
    [img]Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels - Page 3 Image-20_zps1d11fe0d[/img]
    [img]Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels - Page 3 Image-20_zps74b00e13[/img]
    [img]Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels - Page 3 Image-20_zps2d5edcce[/img]
    3onthetree
    3onthetree

Post by 3onthetree Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:27 pm

Se lowered sown nicely, but there was some trimming as we went. Here are the gaps that are left. The front door gap looks a little big, but must be trick photography, all the gaps are right on 4 inches.

[img]Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels - Page 3 Image-20_zpsf2761147[/img]
    [img]Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels - Page 3 Image-20_zps211cab82[/img]
    [img]Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels - Page 3 Image-20_zps9e01020f[/img]
    [img]Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels - Page 3 Image-20_zps2b971276[/img]
    3onthetree
    3onthetree

Post by 3onthetree Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:30 pm

Gaps in the panel side of the van, and the rear wheel wells.

[img]Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels - Page 3 Image-20_zpsfc33d648[/img]
    [img]Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels - Page 3 Image-20_zps1eb4e67f[/img]

Post by Guest Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:32 pm

WOW! That is coming out nice. I like all the detail photos you are taking and posting. Look forward to seeing this sit on all fours and powered with some air!! Great job!!
    3onthetree
    3onthetree

Post by 3onthetree Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:47 pm

Here is the new stance in the rear with the 4 inch channel. Lots of filling and welding for my Christmas weekend.

[img]Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels - Page 3 Image-20_zpsc37355f3[/img]
    [img]Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels - Page 3 Image-20_zps558a8761[/img]
    3onthetree
    3onthetree

Post by 3onthetree Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:59 pm

Thanks very much. I figure that anyone that finds these pictures will either be happy to have them, or realize that it is a ton of work and forget it!

Hansolo99 wrote:WOW! That is coming out nice. I like all the detail photos you are taking and posting. Look forward to seeing this sit on all fours and powered with some air!! Great job!!
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:00 am

I have saved everyone of those pics so please keep the pics comeing, I might do the IFS my self someday. But first I have to see how everybody elses works first..lol. Nice work your doing here, gives the rest of us insperation to try this stuff.
    3onthetree
    3onthetree

Post by 3onthetree Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:19 pm

Well I am back in the garage today. Wife is yelling at me to come help with Christmas dinner, but the van is too cool today.

Merry Christmas everyone from Saugerties NY.
    3onthetree
    3onthetree

Post by 3onthetree Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:36 pm

Got some welding done on the floor today.

[img]Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels - Page 3 Image-20_zpsc54886af[/img]
    [img]Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels - Page 3 Image-20_zps17c06d13[/img]
    [img]Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels - Page 3 Image-20_zps1658e8cb[/img]
    [img]Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels - Page 3 Image-20_zps5027313a[/img]
    [img]Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels - Page 3 Image-20_zps3b42d837[/img]
    3onthetree
    3onthetree

Post by 3onthetree Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:38 pm

Ad started working on the front body mounts.

[img]Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels - Page 3 Image-20_zpsaf462216[/img]
    [img]Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels - Page 3 Image-20_zpse8a4eafb[/img]
    3onthetree
    3onthetree

Post by 3onthetree Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:12 am

Still waiting on ups.....holiday pickle.....oh we'll, started working on some of the sheet metal inside. I'm going to build a 2 section box over the rear suspension to make it easier to handle. Used 1x1 for the frame and 16 guage sheet metal. Bent the one big section so I only have to weld on one end cap.

[img]Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels - Page 3 Image-20_zps3e932933[/img][img]Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels - Page 3 Image-20_zps64eab1b8[/img]
    [img]Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels - Page 3 Image-20_zps8dffedce[/img]
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:16 am

This is pretty amazing to me. I know it's the magic of pictures , but it looks like you are breezing through this! I have only seen the end results of channeling and drops, thanks for all the pics.
    3onthetree
    3onthetree

Post by 3onthetree Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:37 am

Also did some work on the tubs. My poor little shop struggles with a full sheet of 16 gauge, but I got it all cut up and ready for the tubs and covers. I am using a roller that is from the 1890s, and it is well built, but it takes a workout to get a few tubs rolled.

[img]Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels - Page 3 Image-20_zps8dffedce[/img]
    [img]Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels - Page 3 Image-20_zps2553dade[/img]
    [img]Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels - Page 3 Image-20_zps55641a77[/img]

[img]Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels - Page 3 Image-20_zps7fed21e1[/img]
    3onthetree
    3onthetree

Post by 3onthetree Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:41 am

Good morning, and thanks. I am fortunate enough to have some time off right now, so I am working hard on the van, and I have a great helper who is smart and a good worker. I am dying to get the IFS corssmember, once I get the front wheels and tires on, I can start on the front floor and body mounts, and get the thing on the ground.

Digz wrote:This is pretty amazing to me. I know it's the magic of pictures , but it looks like you are breezing through this! I have only seen the end results of channeling and drops, thanks for all the pics.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8731
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:54 am

you sure do some nice work.

Post by 3onthetree Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:09 am

dix wrote:you sure do some nice work.

Thanks a lot. I really enjoy it, not like work.
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:44 pm

Looks Fantastic. Love all the pics. It's really amazing what you're doing with this van. Keep it going, you've got the rest of us drooling over what's coming next. Can't wait to see it rolling again... Thanks again for sharing. cheers

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    3onthetree
    3onthetree

Post by 3onthetree Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:00 am

Thanks for the nice compliments. I enjoy working with metal, and I am very lucky to be able to do this kind of stuff. I don't take any time in the garage for granted.

When I was about to dive into this project, I'm not sure if I would have wanted pictures before hand....ignorance is bliss, and I just figured I would dive in and set the van where I wanted it, and then make it steer and roll.

I have to give a lot of the credit to Army of Six. He inspired me to do what most of the hot rod companies would not even talk to me about....the IFS in the front. When I called FatMan Fabs, he said he would not even sell the parts to me, thought it was a bad idea to put Mustang II suspension intros particular van.. Well that sealed it for me....I had to.

Happy New Year guys.

vanny wrote:Looks Fantastic. Love all the pics. It's really amazing what you're doing with this van. Keep it going, you've got the rest of us drooling over what's coming next. Can't wait to see it rolling again... Thanks again for sharing. cheers
    3onthetree
    3onthetree

Post by 3onthetree Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:05 pm

Got the original section of frame cut out of the van today to get ready to install the IFS crossmember. Then tacked the crossmember to what will be the new frame section.

[img]Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels - Page 3 Image-20_zpsb50c912e[/img]
    [img]Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels - Page 3 Image-20_zpse70c5793[/img]
    [img]Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels - Page 3 Image-20_zps2401df2b[/img]
    3onthetree
    3onthetree

Post by 3onthetree Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:18 pm

First I had to cut out the brackets that would lower the crossmember and narrow the frame rails. I used 1/4 plate and cut them out with the plasma cutter. Then I raised the new frame section into place and tacked it to the old frame rails. It sounds like it happened quick, but the was a lot of measuring, leveling and degreeing, and then measuring , leveling and degreeing again before the tacks went in. (Is degreeing a word?). Anyway, now I have to box the frame a few feet in front and behind the new section. Then I will gusset the drop brackets to the newly boxed frame.

[img]Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels - Page 3 Image-20_zpsb4ded8c1[/img]
    [img]Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels - Page 3 Image-20_zps407a0ad9[/img]
    [img]Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels - Page 3 Image-20_zpscb4f5731[/img]
    [img]Got the 66 in her spot for the Winter....Body Drop and Air Ride Woody Panels - Page 3 Image-20_zps56855972[/img]

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 9:16 pm