VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+21
wideload
Twinpilot001
Vanadian
whopman
Lyrad
panelmanrd
Sporto's 67
ChevyVanMan1
63chevyvan?
BILLS66
xjamesx
gotavan
BvrWally
m1dadio
DanTheVanMan
G-Man
mo_1040
Scott
Digz
donivan65
wdaguy
25 posters

disc brake conversion kits????????????? expert opinions?

DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7902
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

disc brake conversion kits????????????? expert opinions? - Page 3 Empty Re: disc brake conversion kits????????????? expert opinions?

Post by DanTheVanMan Sun May 31, 2009 11:20 am

wdaguy wrote:looking forward to the list its not an exact science??

Started on mine as well. The list would be more of "What doen't work" and " Things to watch out for" kind of a list. Most will always some trial and error no matter what... scratch

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

disc brake conversion kits????????????? expert opinions? - Page 3 Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

disc brake conversion kits????????????? expert opinions? - Page 3 Empty Re: disc brake conversion kits????????????? expert opinions?

Post by Scott Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:42 pm

Sorry about the hold-up, I have been traveling a lot and havent been able to have time to focus on anything but work. I put the van rewire on hold until I get this list together, shouldnt take much longer. I entered all my receipts into the computer to help me figure out what all I bought, from where, how much I paid, and what I returned. I think I have most of them, and what I dont I should be able to fill. Part of why my list is so long is because I did the entire brake system at once.
    wdaguy
    wdaguy

Number of posts : 157
    Registration date : 2009-02-10

disc brake conversion kits????????????? expert opinions? - Page 3 Empty 1959 Chevy truck??

Post by wdaguy Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:14 pm

Did you ever notice the front axle 59 p/u is so close to an Original (1st gen ) van axle?
    ?
    I would like to do the rears with discs but I want to change the whole differential to better gears and wider than the one I have which is not stock.. ANY reccomendations on a transplant? its 53 incheswide, I have 51x10s and hardly stick out.
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:57 pm

I used this kit on my stock 12 bolt, It uses the 79-81 firebird rear rotors and the caddy style calipers. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370177604475&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3AFSEL%3AUS%3A1123&viewitem=
    comes with some shims to adjust the plate bracket and also a weld on flange for a custom set up, the E brake cables are for a car but it sounds like the original cables if you have them will work by what the guys are saying on the caddy set up. 15x10's with a 4" backspace stick out a couple inches with a stock axle.
    disc brake conversion kits????????????? expert opinions? - Page 3 Db10
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12230
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:14 pm

I guess you would have more of a chance for rubbing,,,,,,IF you REALLY are using the 11" TransAm rotors,,,,,the Caddie/S10 rotors are 10 1/2".
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:55 pm

Thats what I had thought to Don, but B.W was running into it with the caddy brackets wasn't he? I'm thinkin' it may have more to do with Old School Custom wheel designs that liked rear drums. I did try on a 1975 15x7 Pontiac rally and that cleared everything no problem being a steel wheel designed for disc and that rim had a 4"backspace
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:12 pm

We need all the information we can get,,,,,,you go buy a store bought rear disk brake kit for a Chevelle and put it on your van,,,,now thats front page news in my book! Are those rotors really 11"? Can you measure how high those calipers sit, like from the axle tube? We just need to like establish some specifications for these rear disk set ups for the future,,,,,,,,
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:51 pm

yes 11", they are the exact same rotor we are using for the front M1 conversion. you even have to file or cut off that ridge on the rear axle like on the front hubs. there isnt quite enough chamfer on the rotors to clear it all the way. I'll get a measurement on the 2 next time I get the wheels off. What I'm checking out next is the fact that a 1979 firebird was available with manual disc brakes, wanna see if the M/C and plumbing will work out.
    wdaguy
    wdaguy

disc brake conversion kits????????????? expert opinions? - Page 3 Empty I am really diggin the Digz!!

Post by wdaguy Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:13 pm

I know there is a kit form for this front end , even though we are turning into Canada by the minute.
    somewhre in America there is a box of parts with everything in it and instructions in 5 languages.

Last edited by wdaguy on Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:08 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spellin)
    wdaguy
    wdaguy

Post by wdaguy Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:12 am

[i]Thats what I was thinking Firebird -posi with discs??
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:08 am

Somebody here or in VCVC has done that, maybe Scott or Don can remember who it was or they'll see this. A firebird rear end anyway.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:19 am

That would be on M1Dadio's list of modifications to his van,,,,,,,

"I have 1988 Trans am GTA engine, trany, wireing, electric cooling fans and seats.
    1980 camaro 10 bolt rear end.
    front disc brake mod, rear 1988 camaro disc brakes. "Tuff Stuff" brake booster and master cylinder, same as 70 corvette.
    1979 trans-am brake rotors 74 chev van/nova callipers.
    1957 chev belair spring shackles.
    69 GMC van dog house, 4 core V8 automatic rad.
    1988 Chev Van FI gas tank.
    will be all autometer gauges.
    69 mercury cougar PS valve and cylinder.
    64 corvair car park brake handle.
    will be getting a rear seat from a 90's dodge van that folds down into a 6' bed.
    tons of other little parts from I don't know how many different vehicles and
    after market manufacturues.
    Oh ya, plenty of scavenged aircraft parts and hardware as well "
    wdaguy
    wdaguy

Post by wdaguy Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:14 pm

how easy or hard was that rear kit to install? With those brackets was itnecessary to pull the axles and or have them machined as others have
    had to do?
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:31 pm

yes you have to pull the axles and machine them just like GM did.

https://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o122/m1dadio/?start=al

Scroll through here, theres about 8 or so pics.

M1D
    wdaguy
    wdaguy

disc brake conversion kits????????????? expert opinions? - Page 3 Empty axle problem???

Post by wdaguy Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:46 am

why do you need to machine the axle??
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:05 am

Because you are taking off the drum and replacing it with a hat type rotor. The axle, as well as the front hubs, are just a little too big for the rotor to slide over so you need to reduce the diameter of the flange.......
    wdaguy
    wdaguy

disc brake conversion kits????????????? expert opinions? - Page 3 Empty axle

Post by wdaguy Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:18 am

The guy on Ebay says no machining is necessary is he nutts?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:37 am

Which disk brake system are you talking about? We got 2 different front and 2 different rear systems that people have adapted over to the Chevy Vans. The Ebay one, rear disks, is for a Chevelle. The other rear one, is just the parts off a Cadlilac,,,,,,,,,and all 4 systems parts, depend on which bracket you use to hang the caliper on.
    wdaguy
    wdaguy

Post by wdaguy Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:40 am

CHEVELLE.. I was hoping for some more deatails from Digz?? oni ssues
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:48 am

Digz went out on a limb and bought a Chevelle kit to put on his Chevy,,,,,,and we are not really talking machining as much grinding a little metal to get some clearance.

Digz wrote:yes 11", they are the exact same rotor we are using for the front M1 conversion. you even have to file or cut off that ridge on the rear axle like on the front hubs. there isnt quite enough chamfer on the rotors to clear it all the way. I'll get a measurement on the 2 next time I get the wheels off. What I'm checking out next is the fact that a 1979 firebird was available with manual disc brakes, wanna see if the M/C and plumbing will work out.
    wdaguy
    wdaguy

Post by wdaguy Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:51 am

Well I think I understand...but I didnt grind or file anything on the front... I used 77 nova rotors..
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:08 am

Its good that you bring this up,,,,,4 systems,,,,,,and you would of had the 1st Edition,,,,,like I do, the Nova type,,,,,,,which is the only one that does not use the original hubs or axles,,,,,you take everything off, and use a Nova front rotor, bearings and all. The other 3 types, you install longer wheel studs and slip the rotor OVER the hub or axles,,,,,,,,
    wdaguy
    wdaguy

Post by wdaguy Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:35 am

Thats right.. But I saw that photo of the rear kit and said nows the time
    I hate bleeding brakes. so just checking on the idea
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:03 am

Then you will REALLY hate bleeding a system of made up parts,,,,,and you kind of got 3 versions of rear disks,,,,,RipVanArkie put Cadillacs, with power, on his, I think M1Dadio just used the whole Camaro axle with power on his and Digz bought that Chevelle kit. And I am sure there are more coming,,,,,,,,,
    BvrWally
    BvrWally

Number of posts : 946
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by BvrWally Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:07 am

I myself just have not been able to get the time to finish my rear disc upgrade as of late????? Sad
    B.W.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 07, 2024 9:53 pm