VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+21
wideload
Twinpilot001
Vanadian
whopman
Lyrad
panelmanrd
Sporto's 67
ChevyVanMan1
63chevyvan?
BILLS66
xjamesx
gotavan
BvrWally
m1dadio
DanTheVanMan
G-Man
mo_1040
Scott
Digz
donivan65
wdaguy
25 posters

disc brake conversion kits????????????? expert opinions?

wdaguy
    wdaguy

Number of posts : 157
    Registration date : 2009-02-10

disc brake conversion kits????????????? expert opinions? Empty disc brake conversion kits????????????? expert opinions?

Post by wdaguy Wed May 13, 2009 9:34 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am getting very close to the front disc swap out.. I have the M1 brackets already..
    Would I be better off to just get the whole set up from Summit ?? or LMC? Is a 65 nova the same? or is there something closer ? Rather than try to piece everything one at a time? I know I would still need Corvette master and prop valve on top of the kit. But it may be a little more money but maybe a lot less running around for oddball parts ? alhttp://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2DBK1202&N=700+115&autoview=sku
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12227
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

disc brake conversion kits????????????? expert opinions? Empty Re: disc brake conversion kits????????????? expert opinions?

Post by donivan65 Wed May 13, 2009 9:59 am

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

disc brake conversion kits????????????? expert opinions? Empty Re: disc brake conversion kits????????????? expert opinions?

Post by donivan65 Wed May 13, 2009 10:16 am

This kit is for a car,,,,it comes with spindles,,,,,that won't fit a van,,,,the M1 system has specific parts,,,,,brackets that fit the spindles,,,,,,calipers that fit the brackets,,,,rotors that fit the calipers,,,,,,bearings that fit the spindles,,,,and WHEN,,,,,not IF,,,,you need a replacement, you go to any parts store and buy it,,,,,,,it is not some part of a kit that you don't know what it is or if they still make it. And you really want to build your own system so you know what you got and how to work on it. And its not that complicated once you see how it all goes together,,,,,bolt the brackets on,,,,,TransAm rotors fit over your hubs,,,,,,Chevy van calipers,,,,new rubber or braided hoses,,,,,,,same 2nd Gen master cylinder,,,,,,and a proportioning valve,,,,,,thats the basics
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed May 13, 2009 12:51 pm

And the thing is, M1 built the brackets to fit the rear 1979-81 TransAm hat type brake rotor,,,,,the only type that would fit over a Chevy Van front hub,,,,,,thats why they are offset and not flat,,,,,and,,,,as far as I know,,,,,no other rotor will work with his brackets,,,,,,
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Wed May 13, 2009 1:45 pm

At my local Auto Value , the rotors are about 40$ a pop and the calipers {the K5 blazer ones} are like 20$ apiece with a core. One stop shoppin' at a good parts store.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed May 13, 2009 2:33 pm

,,,,so lets tell him about what he calls the odd ball parts,,,,lets clear it up a little so it makes some sense,,,,,what the hell is all this stuff????

disc brake conversion kits????????????? expert opinions? M1_dis10
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed May 13, 2009 2:48 pm

disc brake conversion kits????????????? expert opinions? M1dadi10
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by Scott Wed May 13, 2009 4:38 pm

I used the Proportioning Valve from a 71 Chevy 1/2 Ton Van.

But don't use the Calipers from the 71 1/2 Ton, thats what I bought. They work fine now that I ground off a little of the metal shroud from around where the Banjo Bolt goes. I had to gride off some metal because it was bumping the front axle or shock on tight turns.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed May 13, 2009 4:51 pm

OK,,,,,so the VAN calipers and hoses are good, BUT maybe the BLAZER calipers and hoses are better,,,,so its good to keep updating the information as we find it,,,,,,,so keep it coming,,,,,,
    wdaguy
    wdaguy

disc brake conversion kits????????????? expert opinions? Empty calm down wheres the luv?

Post by wdaguy Wed May 13, 2009 7:17 pm

I am just asking? everytime I ask, someone says not that rotor not that line? so I am looking for a confirmed easly to find part. I dont know where some of you live? But rotors ar e 198 a pair with no core.. calipers 115 each. Carquest yes I own a shop and thats discounted. I was shocked. I just wondered if this was an art or a science? keep the answers comming as you see they are all different. appreciate all the feedback.
    Maybe I should just get a parachute???
    wdaguy
    wdaguy

Post by wdaguy Wed May 13, 2009 7:20 pm

maybe I should move to Michigan? they are giving brake parts away. any way
    donivan did you use the corvett master? did you use a proportioning valve? how was the hook up? did you change all your lines as m1 suggests to?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed May 13, 2009 8:34 pm

I did my disk brake conversion when M1Dadio was still in grade school,,,,,well,,,,really 7 years ago,,,,,I have the 1st edition, the Nova rotor type and different brackets. And I had to convert my 1 line master cylinder on my 65 Chevy Van to a 2 line, which is what the 2nd Gen, 67-70, Chevy Vans with drum brakes use. I used a 1971 Chevy Van master cylinder and its combination valve with the Nova rotors and the Blazer calipers and hoses. But then probably because he could not find any of those brackets for sale, and because he likes to improve everything he touches, M1 designs the TransAm brackets,,,,and thats what's available now. But aside from the brackets and the rotors, the systems are the same,,,,you still have to cut down the pressure to the rear drums to keep them from locking up. So bring on the questions,,,,,we can come up with the answers,,,,,Here is a Kragen/checker/shuck/oreilly/murray/advance price for the TransAm rotors,,,,Napa probably has better quality at a bigger price, but this ad should cheer you up a little,,,,

disc brake conversion kits????????????? expert opinions? Transa10
    mo_1040
    mo_1040

Number of posts : 645
    Registration date : 2008-07-04

Post by mo_1040 Wed May 13, 2009 8:50 pm

So I am still a little confused scratch I have a 2nd Gen van... When I do this disk brake conversion...I don't have to do anything with my master cylinder? Just bolt on and go... or does something still have to be altered or changed?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed May 13, 2009 9:13 pm

The corvette and 2nd Gen are the same master cylinder, a plain old 1 inch bore dual line master cylinder,,,the difference on a REAL disk brake master cylinder is that the reservoir on the disk brake line is a little larger for those people that never check their fluid level. (Pads wear faster so the level drops faster.) I would say most people use the original master cylinder,,,,,,You definately need an adjustable proportioning valve in the line to the rear drums,,,,,and the check valves won't hurt but not everyone uses them,,,,,,,,or get a combination valve with all that stuff built in it and put it in place of that brake warning light junction block that is hanging on your master cylinder,,,,,,
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by Scott Wed May 13, 2009 9:28 pm

I just finished my conversion, and will eventually be able to post a list of what I used and worked, and what I bought and took back. But it might a couple of weeks before I'm home again.

The brake conversion isn't just a bolt on solution; part of what complicates things is all the choices. When I first started I wished it was just a shopping list, not my having to research everything, but now that its over I'm glad I learned so much. I have to thank Donivan for all the direction; I think he probably cringes a little when he gets a message from me now.

With the M1 (AKA TransAM) brackets you have you don't have a choice for rotors, only where you buy them. You do have a choice on Proportioning Valves, you can buy an adjustable one, pull one from a vehicle, or order a new one. New ones are pricy, but I wanted a new one in hopes that I won't ever have to replace it.

I'll try to add more later, but you might check out this old thread.

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/vintage-vans-general-discussion-f1/disk-brake-kits-2nd-run-3rd-t956.htm

This is where I ordered my proportioning valve from: www.inlinetube.com

Also dig around the old forum, there’s a lot of good information buried there. More then a few of us were posting as we were going through this, so spend a little time learning from our mistakes.

What helped me was breaking down the entire project into little projects, working the whole thing out in my head at once made my head spin.

If you have 14” rims they probably won’t fit over those calipers either.

You don’t need to replace all the lines under your van for this conversion, but if your still running all the original brake lines you need to replace them. Remember that brake lines corrode form the inside out.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed May 13, 2009 9:47 pm

And what about brake hoses Scott????? M1 says drill out the Van type,,,,my Blazer ones fit and then you go get the universal steel braided ones??? explain that process,,,,,,,,
    wdaguy
    wdaguy

Post by wdaguy Thu May 14, 2009 7:18 am

Scott that would be great if you posted up what you used and steps you took. I am learning a lot. this site seems a little more friendly than VCVC, about this subject..
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Thu May 14, 2009 7:39 am

wdaguy, I have the M1 disc also and yes it's not a cheap mod to your van, but I feel M1 really did a find job in research of the best parts to do this. Here something to remember since your van has no disc's you have to add on the cost of the core charges because you have no cores. Cost me a extra 90 bucks. Wasn't happy at the time, but getting over it now. (I think)
    wdaguy
    wdaguy

Post by wdaguy Thu May 14, 2009 8:06 am

I dont doubt the Dadio dude, I just wanto get all the gossip before opening the can o worms.. Mostly fuzzy on plumbing mounting and use of prop valves reidual valves?? It has been a long time since I ve seen photos of your lowered bagged frenched van? Whats new on it now?
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Thu May 14, 2009 9:17 am

I understand your questions about the fuzzy for sure. I still have to run my brake lines and add the valves also, but waiting till I get a motor in for any issues where to put the lines.

On the 64 I'm saving cash right now for all the motor parts I need and I also need a 700 R4 trans so things are going a little slow right now. Mostly lately I have been working on small parts in the mean time.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu May 14, 2009 6:36 pm

You got options on what parts to use with your brackets,,,,,and it depends on how much you want to spend and if they are available to you,,,,,,And you really need to hear how everybody actually did the conversion,,,,,not everyone will understand all the directions the same,,,,,,(and those directions are in Canadian anyways,,,,) M1 did a great job on those brackets and now he is doing Power Steering, so have we got plans for your van or what?????
    wdaguy
    wdaguy

Post by wdaguy Thu May 14, 2009 6:41 pm

I am trying to stop the thing!!
    thought I d do at leastt the fronts for now.

79 trans am rotors (rear)
    19 inch lines
    86 blazer calipers
    68 corvette master
    bearings, seals, bolts, longer lugs.........

I am not sure on proportion valves and lines????????
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Thu May 14, 2009 7:28 pm

Wdaguy, I got mine @ Jegs
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu May 14, 2009 8:15 pm

Either you get a Combination valve, new or used, that has all the valves in it, or get an adjustable one like this,,,,,,,and then you need new metal brake lines to be safe anyways AND some rubber hoses to connect those metal lines to the calipers,,,,,,,,,,and you got 3 choices of those,,,,,,

disc brake conversion kits????????????? expert opinions? Adj_pr10
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu May 14, 2009 8:28 pm

Well here is my system,,,,,,,,,before we had Uncle M1 to research it all out,,,,,,,mine has no parts that he used,,,,,,,,,I got different brackets, rotors, master cylinder, combination valve and hoses.........I have a 1 1/8" bore master cylinder and Combination valve off a 71 Chevy van,,,,,,,,,,so this is one version of front disk brakes,,,,,,,,there are others,,,,,,,,

disc brake conversion kits????????????? expert opinions? Vv_dis10

Last edited by donivan65 on Thu May 14, 2009 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 11:03 am