VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+32
Space Truckin
gfleduc
dutchman101
sweetvan
retrogeek
SteelyVan
OutofSight
divisionbrewing
66BC
GMman
whalemstr
uncle ron
richie61
busman78
kaz
BILLS66
jrdunn96
Zuffen
Seth G
Denton
Rick's 66 Chevy Van
savage
samsvan
Russell
Vantasia
VANagain
vanny
JackeFriend
uante
Digz
Big W
donivan65
36 posters

GMC Jacke's van

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

GMC Jacke's van - Page 12 Empty Re: GMC Jacke's van

Post by donivan65 Fri May 19, 2017 9:56 pm

keep the old coil on it,,,,,,,see what the light does when it dies,,,,,,then we will have an idea of where to look instead of just throwing parts at it,,,,,,,,I need evidence,,,,,,,,,,or you will never be able to trust it,,,,,,you dont want it to break down in the middle of the Freeway,,,,,,,you would end up on the evening news,,,,,,,,,and the van sure would not be pretty anymore,,,,,,,
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Number of posts : 940
    Registration date : 2016-05-06

Post by JackeFriend Mon May 22, 2017 7:49 am

donivan65 wrote:keep the old coil on it,,,,,,,see what the light does when it dies,,,,,,then we will have an idea of where to look instead of just throwing parts at it,,,,,,,,I need evidence,,,,,,,,,,or you will never be able to trust it,,,,,,you dont want it to break down in the middle of the Freeway,,,,,,,you would end up on the evening news,,,,,,,,,and the van sure would not be pretty anymore,,,,,,,

Nope not gonna put the new one on UNTIL we find out A-B-C... but when ready, I have it in the wings. bounce
    One step forward at a time. Shocked
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Mon May 22, 2017 7:58 am

GMC Jacke's van - Page 12 Fan_co10
    I did not want to cut any holes in my van, but man that V-8 puts off some heat in the summer.
    So I saw the Cooler Fan idea on the web... I made one that will fit behind the driver seat out of the way. I will see how it keeps the air cooled soon. It blows nice and I put two ports that can be adjusted up/down and around. LOL It was fun!
    Here is a picture of the fan on top and the coolerGMC Jacke's van - Page 12 Air_co10
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Mon May 22, 2017 8:32 am

JackeFriend wrote:GMC Jacke's van - Page 12 Fan_co10
    I did not want to cut any holes in my van, but man that V-8 puts off some heat in the summer.
    So I saw the Cooler Fan idea on the web... I made one that will fit behind the driver seat out of the way. I will see how it keeps the air cooled soon. It blows nice and I put two ports that can be adjusted up/down and around. LOL It was fun!
    Here is a picture of the fan on top and the coolerGMC Jacke's van - Page 12 Air_co10

Cool, pun intended, seen many vids on youtube on how to make these....several say to use frozen gallon water bottles for the "ice" lasts all day.....good for overnight camping in sweltering high humidity....
    VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Post by VANagain Tue May 23, 2017 10:59 pm

I've wondered how those cooler things would work too. I guess we'll find out!

I say, add a couple more pipe ports and paint the whole thing yellow with red trim!!

GMC Jacke's van - Page 12 Img_5110
    kaz
    kaz

Number of posts : 114
    Registration date : 2012-07-28

Post by kaz Wed May 24, 2017 1:19 am

Frozen gallon of water will last maybe an hour and a half here
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:23 am

GMC Jacke's van - Page 12 Air_co11

Got the 12v battery and the cooler-air going here is a picture of the breeze it creates! Really happy with it...
    Today, I am going to see what the HELL is going on with my van. I am really anxious to get my van back!!! It's like my foot is missing and each time I try to walk I notice it! VERY OFTEN LOL
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:40 pm

So, is the cooler to keep passengers cool or the engine cool? Will the air be blown into the doghouse or into the cab? Or both?

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:22 pm

vanny wrote:So, is the cooler to keep passengers cool or the engine cool? Will the air be blown into the doghouse or into the cab? Or both?
    Mostly the driver & passengers. But, it can be a dual purpose, I thought about having a hose blowing into the doghouse... hopefully my new 4 core will keep the engine good and cool, and of coarse, I have the belly fan for traffic snarls that gives a good blast. It is a 14" fan, so it works good at moving some air about. But, I am just speculating because I have not gotten the van back and I have only driven it three miles before... it died on my way to the paint shop. But, Don gave me a tester for the darn thing, soon as I get it back from the painter, I have to figure that problem out. I want to attend the Fiesta Island event and the show in late June... I have faith in the VAN GOD's!
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:44 pm

Sounds like you've got a good plan in place! Can't wait to see how the paint job turns out!

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:59 pm

So, I went down to the paint shop today... unfortunately. Mad
    Yes indeed they are behind by two weeks. Just the inside sanded, mind you there is no dents! Just a ding here and there... I am sad I really had high hopes. Crying or Very sad
    They have had the van for three weeks... now starting to work since my visit today, LOL Evil or Very Mad
    I will not be taking the van to the Fiesta Island event on the 17th... but I will attend to see all the vans that can make it! Very Happy bounce bounce
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:00 am

So I received my license plates back from Brushworx by Buzz. Fabulous job! The plates from 1963
    are now like brand spankin' new. No cracks or dents he did a bit of repair and you cannot even see anything on inspection! Harley Satin Black B/g looks sooo great!! That is one really good thing that happened. I am trying to feel better about the delay of the van paint job.
    I have heard other stories about paint jobs that went on and on... I assume all paint shops are flakey!

PLEASE-Tell me your stories to make me feel better and not so alone in my dilemma! Sad
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:17 pm

Hey,,,,,Earl ripped me off when I first got my van and wanted one of his 29.95 paint jobs that he kept bragging about,,,,,,,,,,,,,tells me red is extra and that the the price is for CARS ONLY,,,,,,,,

GMC Jacke's van - Page 12 Earl_212

GMC Jacke's van - Page 12 Earl_111
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:26 pm

PERFECT!!! Now I feel worse!
    I paid slightly more...LOL Embarassed affraid
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:57 pm

Well Lady,,,,,,,you wanted to know about other sad paint job stories,,,,,this was mine,,,,,,,,,,,
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:03 pm

How about Rich's story on his 2 year wait...although, I think I remember someone not being able to decide on a color...just saying... What a Face

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:27 pm

I wonder how that van is doing after all these years?            

GMC Jacke's van - Page 12 Vanaga12
    busman78
    busman78

Number of posts : 483
    Registration date : 2012-07-11

Post by busman78 Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:58 pm

Yea it is a Dodge but this is what $5,200 will get you, van had no major body damage, so basically all dents, ladder & roof rack holes welded, minor filling and first sanding done, there were five small rust spots of which they got three cut out and fixed, there is two coats of Z-Chrome primer. Pulled the van out early for the hot rod shop doing the work had two big jobs coming in, my hourly rate was $40 per hour plus material, the jobs coming in were at a higher hourly rate, did not want my van rolled into a corner for six months or a year, they have a side job vehicle at the shop now that has been there three years, in primer for two and still no schedule to paint it. Saving a few bucks at a pro hot rod shop does have pitfalls.
    GMC Jacke's van - Page 12 Exteri10
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:38 pm

,,,,thats the kind of answers we need,,,,,,,,,,how things REALLY are and how they turn out,,,,,,
    jrdunn96
    jrdunn96

Number of posts : 690
    Registration date : 2016-01-01

Post by jrdunn96 Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:23 am

Busman,
    Who did you use? I am not far away and will be looking into paint eventually.
    Thanks,
    Jim
    busman78
    busman78

Post by busman78 Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:01 am

It was a hot rod shop in OKC, notice the was, the owner retired last December. The work they did was three years prior, since then I have been doing all the mechanical work, sorry.
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:14 am

donivan65 wrote:I wonder how that van  is doing after all these years?            

GMC Jacke's van - Page 12 Vanaga12

Wow I recognize that area! I believe the interior is on it's way to completion. Production Jacke was over and got some beautiful wall panels out of hiding, cleaned and installed!You know how I love a production line! I can't help it, from years of making missiles. You get a roll going and want to continue to completion. I helped get it going took about 4 hours to clean replace all the interior panels. Looked very nice and all original correct color!
    cheers
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:18 am

busman78 wrote:Yea it is a Dodge but this is what $5,200 will get you, van had no major body damage, so basically all dents, ladder & roof rack holes welded, minor filling and first sanding done, there were five small rust spots of which they got three cut out and fixed, there is two coats of Z-Chrome primer. Pulled the van out early for the hot rod shop doing the work had two big jobs coming in, my hourly rate was $40 per hour plus material, the jobs coming in were at a higher hourly rate, did not want my van rolled into a corner for six months or a year, they have a side job vehicle at the shop now that has been there three years, in primer for two and still no schedule to paint it. Saving a few bucks at a pro hot rod shop does have pitfalls.
    GMC Jacke's van - Page 12 Exteri10

Sounds like my van was that one rolled into that corner for sure! But, not my choice!! I went by to see what was going on a day after my VISIT... Hmmm funny, half the work was completed! So maybe it will be done before the end of time?
    I guess a mean bitchy woman ragging your ass works! I am that mean woman - when I have too be. Twisted Evil
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:23 am

donivan65 wrote:Well Lady,,,,,,,you wanted to know about other sad paint job stories,,,,,this  was mine,,,,,,,,,,,

I sure wish prices were like the old days! But, that is a long time ago, it seems!
    busman78
    busman78

Post by busman78 Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:51 am

I did a lot of electrical work for that shop, mechanical to, so my reduced rate was revenue till other projects came in, I knew better than to leave it there, known the shop for thirty plus years and my van was not going to be a storage shed dust collector till fuel was no longer available.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:02 pm