VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+32
Space Truckin
gfleduc
dutchman101
sweetvan
retrogeek
SteelyVan
OutofSight
divisionbrewing
66BC
GMman
whalemstr
uncle ron
richie61
busman78
kaz
BILLS66
jrdunn96
Zuffen
Seth G
Denton
Rick's 66 Chevy Van
savage
samsvan
Russell
Vantasia
VANagain
vanny
JackeFriend
uante
Digz
Big W
donivan65
36 posters

GMC Jacke's van

JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Number of posts : 940
    Registration date : 2016-05-06

GMC Jacke's van - Page 11 Empty Re: GMC Jacke's van

Post by JackeFriend Wed May 10, 2017 9:22 am

JackeFriend wrote:Well today was dismantle the rear of the inside day! I removed the rear carpet and bench seat.
    In preparation for having the inside painted with Lizard skin. I got 3 gallons in black which should do the entire rear of the van including ceiling, floor, walls and doors. Then the exterior gets a new life with fresh paint. So coming in the next week I should have some very nice pictures detailing the entire process. My paint guy is good about taking photos for projects. I am so excited I can barely
    stop smiling. Very Happy
    I have a very nice bench seat for sale includes hardware for floor. PM offer if interested.SOLD

GMC Jacke's van - Page 11 Bench_10
    GMC Jacke's van - Page 11 Bench_11
    GMC Jacke's van - Page 11 Bench_12
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Thu May 11, 2017 9:36 am

Okay so I had been on two short outings with my van about 2-3 miles or so each trip. Everything was great, no problems.
    So, off to the the painter the van goes, I had my friend follow for a return ride. Got about 5 miles and guess WHAT? Yes the van just died AGAIN!! So I cost down Fletcher Parkway a long straight road luckily... into a large parking lot where I stop. I wait a moment starts right up?? I attempt to move it died? I try again it starts right up and I drive around and around the parking lot for at least twenty circles in a huge lot... no problem? The tow truck arrives, I asked him can he just follow me as the van seems to be running FOR NOW. I proceed on my way got another 1.5 miles same thing it died. I was towed to the paint shop, where again it ran fine. I pulled in and out and backed up into the stall
    no problem?? AAAGGHHHHH Mad
    Anyway it is being painted! Don the magic man says he will do his testing which is far beyond my knowledge and we will get it fixed! He is the one who can do it!! Thank GOD! More to come... if you have read any of my problems with the van dying, you will see I have done/changed/did everything possible?
    ANY IDEAS PLEASE LET ME KNOW... Rolling Eyes
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Thu May 11, 2017 11:27 am

Well,,,,,,,,,next plan is to disconnect the 12 volt wire off the ballast resistor and hook it to a bulb, this will test to see if there is a bad connection or short cutting off the power to the coil while going down the road,,,,,,,,then run a wire from the battery to the 12 volt post on the ballast resistor to power up the coil and distributor so the engine runs,,,,,,and lets see if it dies because of the coil or distributor,,,,,,,or that bulb blinks  meaning you are loosing power in the wiring or ignition switch,,,,,,,,,,,I doubt its a gas problem, but you never know,,,,,,something in the system  could be floating around and get sucked down until engine dies and then it floats away for a while,,,,,,,,,,but right now, I think its sitting in a paint shop getting prettier,,,,,,,,
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Thu May 11, 2017 12:42 pm

Yes, it is getting a facial and a hair-do! New dress, shoes and a purse!! LOL

The little baby is also getting that fancy new green windshield put in after paint!

When I first began this endeavor 1 year ago... Don made a comment which I have always held dear...
    "she gonna make it pretty, whatever it takes!" I have done that and more, I believe I was possessed by the spirit of Vans gone by.... I love my van, and I am a true vanner.

My first 1964 Chevy van had a little plaque on the glove box which said...
    " If you ain't a vanner, you ain't shit"

I think that still holds true! LOL Razz

Love your van it's the best!!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu May 11, 2017 12:54 pm

,,,,and did you just happen to put a prettier coil on after you fixed the ballast resistor?
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Thu May 11, 2017 1:38 pm

donivan65 wrote:,,,,and did you just happen to put a prettier coil on after you fixed the ballast resistor?

Actually, NO because that pretty one I bought for top dollar $$, which was not to be used with a ballast resistor. So, next paycheck... tomorrow I could get a pretty one... but instead I am gonna wait until we really know whats wrong... then I will buy the pretty coil... again. I have wasted my money enough being stupid or anxious to get parts! I am starting to realize how right you have been... Don says:"ONE STEP AT A TIME, JACKE".... when all I do is jump in a big hole to see what's in there!! LOL Now I look before I leap!

I am learning Surprised
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu May 11, 2017 4:43 pm

,,,,,,and now it appears that the right rear outer bumper brace is not up to Jackes standards  (its not pretty enough),,,,,,so,,,,,,how does  this dilemma get solved,,,,,,,,,,, do I,,,,,,,adjust,,,,,,,,,,it with my wrenches,,,,,,,,,does Jacke drop the tank to remove it  and put one of my spares on,,,,,,,,,,,,,,stay tuned for the exciting conclusion,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

GMC Jacke's van - Page 11 Dscn9915
    Russell
    Russell

Number of posts : 698
    Registration date : 2015-12-08

Post by Russell Thu May 11, 2017 11:02 pm

Is it possibly the key switch? does she have a lot of keys hanging on it?
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Fri May 12, 2017 11:48 am

You can fish those brackets into the frame rail with a few long box wrenches and the nuts, lock washers and bolts taped onto the ends of the wrenches with duct tape until you get the thread started without dropping the tank, did both sides on mine that way. I custom bent an old open end wrench to reach the bolt heads between the tank and frame to turn it tightly into the nut, sorta like the way you got the bolt out of your tank. Make a few extensions for the wrenches to reach into the frame rail too, but a long style double end box wrench reached them both fine.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri May 12, 2017 11:55 am

could be,,,,,,,but I need to nail it down a little bit better,,,,,,the coil needs a positive and negative signal to fire the spark plugs,,,,,,,so by disconnecting the positive wire off it and letting it just power a light bulb,,,,we can see if it looses power while she drives around,,,,,we hook up power to the coil right from the battery so the engine can run,,,,,,and now that NEGATIVE signal,,,,the vacuum advance rotates the points constantly,,,,,and that signal has to go through a spring to get to the coil,,,,,so that pivot point wears out and all it takes is for the vacuum advance to find that one spot and if that breaker plate looses contact, the coil dont get its signal to fire the spark plugs,,,,,,,,I just dont want to start wiggling wires,,,,,,,

GMC Jacke's van - Page 11 Dscn9916
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun May 14, 2017 2:43 pm

,,,so lady,,,,,,you tell me sometimes when driving around engine just dies for no reason,,,,,,,,well lets see if we can find a reason,,,,,,,here is a back up light I wired up with some clips,,,,,plan is to clip it onto the ballast resistor, (not the side with the wire that goes to the coil),,,,,and it should come on when you turn the key on,,,,,,this will test the vans wiring,,,,,,showing that power is going to the coil,,,,,,,,,lets see if that light blinks or dies,,,,could it be happening when you step on the clutch,,,,,brake,,,gas,,,,,,,shifting gears,,,,,turning  left,,,right,,,,,,,,,,,,,,we are looking for evidence at the scene of the crime,,,,,,,,,,

GMC Jacke's van - Page 11 Dscn9917
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Sun May 14, 2017 3:30 pm

Sounds like the problem will soon be figured out.
    I cannot wait to get the van back from the paint shop.
    Need to be finishing up the running problem before too much more time gets away. I will contact you as soon as I get the van back! Thanks Don! I am hoping to finally have this issue figured out and repaired.
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Sun May 14, 2017 4:19 pm

CSI: San Diego

Starring Donivan65
    CoStarrng JackeFriend
    Up and Rising Star 65 GMC Handivan

What is killing this innocent 65 GMC Handivan???
    With Don on the job, crime scene investigator extraordinaire, he'll solve the mystery by using his cunning and experience. No detail too small, no stone left unturned, the culprit will be brought to justice! There's no need to fear, Donivan is here... What a Face

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun May 14, 2017 6:59 pm

I sure like all the NCIS programs and Elementary,,,,,,,,but putting that big V8 engine in a 1st Gen surely causes some carb linkage, cooling and wiring problems,,,,,,lots of things happened to these vans in the past 50 years,,,,,so we are in for some surprises as we find out just what we got ourselves into,,,,,,
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Wed May 17, 2017 10:30 am

GMC Jacke's van - Page 11 Wheel_14
    GMC Jacke's van - Page 11 Horn_r11

So, I have been searching for a horn ring for my steering wheel. I bought this one which I think looked pretty close in style to my wheel? It may not be an actual correct horn ring but it may juts work!! Looks like the correct style. I get it today... so we will see! If it works and is not pot metal, maybe I can get it chromed and be all that! Cost $15 for a chance it may fit bounce
    Russell
    Russell

Post by Russell Wed May 17, 2017 12:48 pm

Let me know if it does not fit your wheel, I think the deluxe wheel might be slightly different?
    I have a deluxe wheel you can try it on or ?
    Russell
    Russell

Post by Russell Wed May 17, 2017 12:51 pm

Here is a picture of the one that came on the Delxe, it looks a little bit different than the one your getting?????????

GMC Jacke's van - Page 11 Dscn0111
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Wed May 17, 2017 1:13 pm

Russell wrote:Here is a picture of the one that came on the Delxe, it looks a little bit different than the one your getting?????????

GMC Jacke's van - Page 11 Dscn0111

Yes, I thought it may not be the same... but it looked so similar to my wheel, I thought it was worth a try... also not sure if it is pot metal or steel? Would need to be re chromed if it fit.
    It is a '67 Mopar horn ring? But maybe with some imagineering I can retro fit the little bugger if it is not really fitting Laughing
    $15 dollars was worth it! I have never seen one that is shaped so close to the wheel I have, even the lines are similar. I have seen the Chevy ones for Bel Air etc. not the same shape. Same with the Impala half rings... this maybe not correct, but it was a good find just to see if maybe...!
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Thu May 18, 2017 6:13 am

vanny wrote:CSI: San Diego

Starring Donivan65
    CoStarrng JackeFriend
    Up and Rising Star 65 GMC Handivan

What is killing this innocent 65 GMC Handivan???
    With Don on the job, crime scene investigator extraordinaire, he'll solve the mystery by using his cunning and experience. No detail too small, no stone left unturned, the culprit will be brought to justice! There's no need to fear, Donivan is here... What a Face

Sounds more like Columbo to me....
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Thu May 18, 2017 10:09 am

GMC Jacke's van - Page 11 Cigar10

Hmmm... Jacke as Columbo Razz Laughing
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu May 18, 2017 11:21 am

(I got longer hair and am way more raggedy,,,,,,,)    the younger people here probably dont know what we are talking about,,,,,,,,,
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Thu May 18, 2017 11:59 am

They just need to watch MEtv to find out!

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Thu May 18, 2017 12:33 pm

Pot metal can be chromed, all the emblems and horn rings are pot metal on Fords.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri May 19, 2017 5:33 pm

Ok lady,,,,,,,,,I left the light and a  jumper wire under your tree this afternoon when I went past your house,,,,,,,plan is to hook the red clip from the light onto the wire that powers up the ballast resistor and the other clip to a ground on something metal,,,,,bulb should light when you turn on the key,,,,,,you dont want to put the red clip on the ballast resistor wire that goes to the coil,,,,,,now IF that bulb goes out,,,,which means you lost power,  take the red jumper wire and steal power  from the output wire on the back of the alternator and put it on that red clip from the bulb,,,,,,see if that puts the bulb back on,,,,,,,this could get you back on the road if the engine died,,,,,,so this is just some tests you can  do  if I am not around,,,,,,,,since you HATE sitting around doing nothing,,,,,,,

GMC Jacke's van - Page 11 05181710
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Fri May 19, 2017 7:59 pm

Okay, I will try to see what I can find out with the test kit. I just need the van so I can get to testing... maybe if you are around when it returns, I could get you to go on a little ride with me in my pretty van!? I will also change out the old dirty coil with the correct Pretty New one. Maybe it was that old coil just giving me trouble? I will see what I can find out. Thanks for the testing equipment. Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 8:14 pm