VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+32
Space Truckin
gfleduc
dutchman101
sweetvan
retrogeek
SteelyVan
OutofSight
divisionbrewing
66BC
GMman
whalemstr
uncle ron
richie61
busman78
kaz
BILLS66
jrdunn96
Zuffen
Seth G
Denton
Rick's 66 Chevy Van
savage
samsvan
Russell
Vantasia
VANagain
vanny
JackeFriend
uante
Digz
Big W
donivan65
36 posters

GMC Jacke's van

JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Number of posts : 939
    Registration date : 2016-05-06

GMC Jacke's van - Page 13 Empty Re: GMC Jacke's van

Post by JackeFriend Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:46 am

GMC Jacke's van - Page 13 Van_dw11
    GMC Jacke's van - Page 13 Van_dw10
    GMC Jacke's van - Page 13 1bw_va10
    GMC Jacke's van - Page 13 Van_710

Okay! Work is almost completed on my van! Here are some shots from my visit Saturday... should be painted next week!! WOO-HOOOOO

There was no dents the work here is to ensure a straight side... just dings etc.
    bounce bounce cheers cheers Very Happy
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:22 pm

I'm happy for you, Jacke! Great that it's getting done in pretty short order compared to a LOT of shops! Thanks for sharing and don't forget to post the after pics! Please and Thank You!

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:46 pm

GMC Jacke's van - Page 13 Jak311

GMC Jacke's van - Page 13 Jak211
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:22 am

Went down to inspect the body work yesterday... not everything had be completed, some things were too low to see but my hand felt the imperfections. I found 90% of what I believe was missed perhaps.

You never see the missed dings until it gets painted, then it's too late

So I made them aware of what was missed and they are working on it ... still.

Patience is not my strong trait. It has been there since May 13th Neutral

I will be getting the new CA Van Cover on Wednesday... so my pretty new paint job will always be protected. It is inside a tent as well, but the dust and grime gets in with the breeze.

Hmmm bored... want MY VAN NOW PLEASE!!!!! Rolling Eyes
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:16 pm

Jacke, you crack me up!!! Good for you finding those imperfections. I'm sure they probably figured they're down low, she'll never notice. I hope it turns out Great for you but a little over a month really isn't bad for a paint job nowadays. Keep crackin that whip, girl!!! Twisted Evil Wink

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:44 am

I am a bit of a terror when on a mission! But, I am good  if everything is going as planned.
    How often does that happen though... LOL
    This week I should see completion of the van painting inside SC and outside two tone with pin stripes.
    Then home to install the new pop out windows and get that interior going.
    I sanded down all the wood for the door panels this last weekend. It should be easier since everything is just waiting to be put into the van. IF it ever gets back home... But work is headed my way for sure!! There won't be any excuses once I get her back. JUST WORK BABY WORK! affraid
    richie61
    richie61

Number of posts : 445
    Registration date : 2010-01-04

Post by richie61 Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:41 am

Jacke, a long, long time ago I tried using my hand to feel the "imperfections" of my first girlfriend,,,lets just say it didn't go that well. No
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:22 pm

Well, you can feel "imperfection" on your girlfriend just don't ever "say" they are imperfections! Smile

But, on my vans little ass it was fine to feel her, and all around her edges too! LOL And mention every little one I felt!! And there were at least 7 to 10 I felt big as a fifty cent piece. That is too big maybe smaller than a dime I would miss. No, I wouldn't!! LOL Poor body man!

I guess no van again this week... well what can I do? I can only say it better be very good when I finally get it back painted! I mean I better feel like it is all I asked for, AND more! It will be a full two months since dropped off. That is if it is done? But the last two dates "it would be done" are here and long gone!? So eventually, I THINK I will get it back and it may even be painted!!
    Sad Exclamation Bitch bitch bitch&moan moan moan
    richie61
    richie61

Number of posts : 445
    Registration date : 2010-01-04

Post by richie61 Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:31 pm

If I remember right the body shop Rich used held his hostage for a long time to? His van looks great and I'm sure yours will too!
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:08 am

Yes, but he was making some adjustments to the paint color selection, so it took longer for that process as well. I think it was 1.5 years?!! I could not be that patient. They would have to hire me as I would be at the shop so often, LOL!

I am keeping busy working on the details for the interior... work can be done without the actual van, I suppose... if I have to do it with just my measurements. Doing the door panels. I have an extra set of solid doors I am also having painted and striped... so I must make 6 door panels which match. That way when I get a whim for my solid doors everything will match.

I originally wanted the solid doors because my first '64 van had solid doors. But, then I fell in love with POP out windows for the back doors... bought two sets which were wrong, felt I was never gonna get a pair. So I bought a very nice set of solid doors.

Guess what... then I saw a few weeks later, from the same guy, restored pop out windows with new green glass, powder coated too. Also had the rubber gaskets which I cleaned and refurbished to use. Hence, my many doors! I have had fun and a bit of frustration in the last year but I am proud I have come this far. I think I am almost done... bounce
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:20 am

OMG STILL GOT NO VAN! WHAT IS A WOMAN TO DO? I am finishing up the interior panels this week have them cut to size, now doing my plans for how to approach the floor wood installation.
    I have read a few posts on how guys have done the floor. I bought the 3/4" #1 plywood, 3 sheets should be enough.
    First, I will be applying the heat shield package I bought from Quiet Ride. Pre cut pieces for the entire rear floor, ceiling & doors. That will be on top of the Lizard skin SC I am having shot in the rear interior.
    My concerns for noise and heat should be at rest. It should be a solid ride with all I will be doing. Currently it is loud going down the road. No interior makes for a loud box! No insulation makes for a hot loud ride!! Soon it should be at least 40% quieter and maybe 50% cooler. I am hoping for those numbers at least!
    I will keep hoping for a faster return of my van... please send good painting vibes my way! Razz
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:08 pm

My van has a layer of bubble foil under custom cut 3/4 plywood over the rear floor, all covered in indoor outdoor carpet.  It stops just short of the seats.  Also added metal carpet edge trim from Lowes at the doors and edges of the wheel wells.  The wheel wells and doghouse can be covered with fuzzy speaker cabinet cover material available on eBay, easy to wrap tight and cuts noise.  Stays on with spray glue.  Walls have a thick carpet underlayment for insulation too.  Ceiling has two layers of foil bubble wrap glued on, plastic wainscott paneling for ceiling.  Even without AC, van is much cooler with hatch, your rear opening windows should give great flow through.   Here's some pics to give you some ideas....
    GMC Jacke's van - Page 13 Dsc03110

GMC Jacke's van - Page 13 Dsc03113l]

GMC Jacke's van - Page 13 Dsc03112
    Paneling has pros and cons, looks great but is easily damaged from cargo, hardwood paneling is better...my van is very quiet inside, running or standing...I'm not in favor of a fixed bed set-up, many are...I like the versatility to carry cargo, use a blow up bed if you need a mattress....other factors, my van had multiple layers of old glues on the walls and roof from previous owners gluing carpet everywhere, it was too far gone to paint or coat with a bedliner so I went with paneling to hide everything...  Have fun with it, takes time, be crafty, I used all sorts of edge trims around the lights, wheel wells, etc..it will come to you as you proceed, another trick, the vertical ribs are usually not wide enough for butt joining panels with screws, you need to add sheet metal "cleats" across the ribs to widen them where you want screws, simply screw the cleats on first, use ductwork or gutter trim for the cleats, they sell patches at home centers. Same for inside corners and joints at floor, I used deck nailing angles for supports. Painting takes time, body shops are always slow with these projects, its not like an insurance company fender bender money maker for them....
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:43 pm

Jacke, you might want to bring a few "treats" from In & Out the next time you visit...seems to work for Doni!!!lol!

JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:53 pm

Vantasia wrote:My van has a layer of bubble foil under custom cut 3/4 plywood over the rear floor, all covered in indoor outdoor carpet.  It stops just short of the seats.  Also added metal carpet edge trim from Lowes at the doors and edges of the wheel wells.  The wheel wells and doghouse can be covered with fuzzy speaker cabinet cover material available on eBay, easy to wrap tight and cuts noise.  Stays on with spray glue.  Walls have a thick carpet underlayment for insulation too.  Ceiling has two layers of foil bubble wrap glued on, plastic wainscott paneling for ceiling.  Even without AC, van is much cooler with hatch, your rear opening windows should give great flow through.   Here's some pics to give you some ideas....
    GMC Jacke's van - Page 13 Dsc03110

GMC Jacke's van - Page 13 Dsc03113l]

GMC Jacke's van - Page 13 Dsc03112
    Paneling has pros and cons, looks great but is easily damaged from cargo, hardwood paneling is better...my van is very quiet inside, running or standing...I'm not in favor of a fixed bed set-up, many are...I like the versatility to carry cargo, use a blow up bed if you need a mattress....other factors, my van had multiple layers of old glues on the walls and roof from previous owners gluing carpet everywhere, it was too far gone to paint or coat with a bedliner so I went with paneling to hide everything...  Have fun with it, takes time, be crafty, I used all sorts of edge trims around the lights, wheel wells, etc..it will come to you as you proceed, another trick, the vertical ribs are usually not wide enough for butt joining panels with screws, you need to add sheet metal "cleats" across the ribs to widen them where you want screws, simply screw the cleats on first, use ductwork or gutter trim for the cleats, they sell patches at home centers. Same for inside corners and joints at floor, I used deck nailing angles for supports.  Painting takes time, body shops are always slow with these projects, its not like an insurance company fender bender money maker for them....
    Really clean look inside and out! I will look into the sheet metal cleats. I was going to run 1x2" wood for attaching, this sounds better, thanks!
    I guess I am just anxious to get my van back. You are right, I had a list of many things for him to complete other than exterior painting. So, I will relax and let him alone... you all seem to understandf the paint jail better than I! LOL Basketball
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:01 pm

vanny wrote:Jacke, you might want to bring a few "treats" from In & Out the next time you visit...seems to work for Doni!!!lol!
    Yes, since it is heating up now. I thought some ice cream or cold drinks? But, maybe I should just stay away from them...LOL I think I scar them, LOL! Evil or Very Mad
    Russell
    Russell

Number of posts : 698
    Registration date : 2015-12-08

Post by Russell Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:07 pm

I have several boxes of laminate flooring you can have for your Van if you want them. I was going to put them together with a chevy emblem in the center using different colors but I like the carpet.
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:50 am

Russell wrote:I have several boxes of laminate flooring you can have for your Van if you want them. I was going to put them together with a chevy emblem in the center using different colors but I like the carpet.

Thanks very much! That's very nice of you to offer!!

But, I too like carpet on the floor. I already have all the carpet, pad, paneling etc., just waiting to install! I am going to put the Quiet Ride down on the floor then the 3/4" plywood covered by the carpet padding and the carpet.

That should bring down the noise along with the sound coating beneath it all! Hoping to have a nicer ride. That 350 sings a bit loud but it is sitting right next to me... I bought a Bose Mini II blue tooth speaker for some good noise. I have not tried it yet in the van with the engine going. Not sure if it will be loud enough while driving. It is only 3" x 7". Really nice sound though. We will see! Bluetooth is great, no wires just music!

bounce Basketball
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Post by Vantasia Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:09 pm

JackeFriend wrote:
    Russell wrote:I have several boxes of laminate flooring you can have for your Van if you want them. I was going to put them together with a chevy emblem in the center using different colors but I like the carpet.

Thanks very much! That's very nice of you to offer!!

But, I too like carpet on the floor. I already have all the carpet, pad, paneling etc., just waiting to install! I am going to put the Quiet Ride down on the floor then the 3/4" plywood covered by the carpet padding and the carpet.

That should bring down the noise along with the sound coating beneath it all! Hoping to have a nicer ride. That 350 sings a bit loud but it is sitting right next to me... I bought a Bose Mini II blue tooth speaker for some good noise. I have not tried it yet in the van with the engine going. Not sure if it will be loud enough while driving. It is only 3" x 7". Really nice sound though. We will see! Bluetooth is great, no wires just music!

bounce Basketball

In addition to the interior, have you lined the doghouse with good stick on insulation materials? Really makes a difference, Jeg's, eBay, lots of choices for heat and sound padding.  Yes, if you want to get the paneling in close to the ribs, add cleats, about 2" x 4" size to each rib at the bottom and middle, the top screws to the channel, just watch the wires along the drivers side going to the rear lights and gas sender.  At the mid points between the ribs, add L brackets from the deck department at home center, they have nice sized 2" x 3" ones, screw to the floor to support the bottom of the paneling.  The rear inside corners are tricky if the curved factory corner braces that protect the tail lights are still there, mine were cut away by a previous owner. Don't worry about joints, there are all kinds of edge strips in the panel department and I used caulk to fill seams, looks great and seals it all off.
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:15 am

GMC Jacke's van - Page 13 Van_ro10
    GMC Jacke's van - Page 13 Inside10
    GMC Jacke's van - Page 13 Van_fr10
    GMC Jacke's van - Page 13 Inside11
    GMC Jacke's van - Page 13 Side_d10

Finally feeling good... here are some pictures of the VAN PROGRESS. I should actually have my van back by next week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Inside pictures of the Lizard skin sound coating. Roof pictures of the roof LOL...
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:37 pm

It won't be long now...it's really taking shape, can't wait to see how it turns out. So far, soooooo GOOOOD! cheers

JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:47 am

I am so excited!! I haven't felt this good in a very long while. I have been axious to say the least, I hate waiting. But, I have learned through the comments I have read, I am not alone in this waiting game or "Paint Shop Jail". Just another lesson I was needing to learn.

Now for the FUN... been working on some additions to the van made of wood. I will be adding some personal touches to the interior. I will be posting some pictures of the whole process as soon as possible.

Thanks for the support!
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:13 am

GMC Jacke's van - Page 13 Bear_h10
    GMC Jacke's van - Page 13 Bearha10
    GMC Jacke's van - Page 13 Bearha11
    GMC Jacke's van - Page 13 Bearha12

I mentioned I was doing some speacial wood projects for the upcoming van interior.
    My van side door had the inside handle shaved off(Creeper van) so I wanted a handle to at least be able to grab the door. It is Buckeye burl wood. I will secure it from the back side. I did a Tung oil rub finish.
    I am an artist and this is my version of a door pull... what do you think? Very Happy
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:37 pm

Burl wood has a ton of character so why not put it in a van with character owned by a character...LOL! I want to see it installed...gonna look Great! cheers

Vantasia
    Vantasia

Post by Vantasia Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:00 pm

Pretty wild, my first thought was that its a custom shift knob! cool....
    JackeFriend
    JackeFriend

Post by JackeFriend Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:34 pm

Oh yes, I have many wooden pieces from Burl going into my van... handmade by a little character! ME!! It resembles a bear kinda? Huh??
    I have also made a table out of some really beautiful wood called Parota, for the rear infront of my custom reclining sofa bed... oh ya babay!
    I will have everything installed sooner than not! I also made a really cool Burl cup holder for my Doghouse. Razz .. but not like you have ever seen my dears... bounce bounce clown

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:19 pm