VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+11
Space Truckin
G-Man
mikeysly
RipVanArkie
Digz
veefre
pan58head
mbasaraba
Joe Van
donivan65
NEK64
15 posters

Suspension bushings

veefre
    veefre

Number of posts : 424
    Registration date : 2008-09-10

Suspension bushings - Page 4 Empty Re: Suspension bushings

Post by veefre Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:43 am

Squeaking from front end suspension seems to have returned, not as loud as before but still more than I'd like. Now that my other big projects (felling trees and rebuilding car port roof) have pretty much finished, might be time to dive under the van and install those new bushings... except now I gotta remember where I stashed them!
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:02 pm

A new clunk appeared in the general area of the left front wheel, so I decided it was time to repair the front spring bushings.

The good news is that the shackle kit I got fit perfectly. I suspected a shackle bushing might have failed completely, resulting in the new clunk, but I didn't see any complete failed bushing, but maybe one with an ovalized center bore. We'll see.

I was able to replace both shackle kits, left and right. Then I got as far as replacing the right front spring eyelet bushing. The good news there is that the replacement we were discussing, RB99, is also a perfect match for the old bushings. They also went in with just the right amount of interference, also a good sign.

It got too dark to continue so I'll finish off the right hand spring eyelet bushing tomorrow. Then comes the test drive to see if all the squeaking and the new clunk has changed. Hopefully, gone away. If not, maybe I need to investigate the teflon inter-leaf spring pads Doni's been mentioning.

Also did some work on the heat riser valve, I'll post that update over in the right thread for that.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:47 pm

I would disconnect the bottom of each shock absorber and let it hang to see if that makes the clunk go away,,,,,,,

savage likes this post

veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:34 pm

Interesting if a bit risky. I know where the clunk usually occurs, not far from home. In other words, not there all the time.

I was going to retorque upper shock mount bolt. Just in case. Relatively high quality Rancho adjustible compression shocks.

Back to the squeaking... if replacing the bushings all round front end doesn't do the trick, what's the specs on the teflon shims you say belong in the leaf springs? Do they require the leaf springs to be completely disassembled to be installed? I don't believe I've seen anything in print about such an animal.

mark-t
    mark-t

Number of posts : 185
    Registration date : 2013-09-16

Post by mark-t Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:29 am

had a sometimes clunk in the front of my 69, the shackles were hitting the frame because the bushings were oblong
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:44 am

1st Gen springs have a pocket that holds the inserts in,,,,,you spread the leafs with a screwdriver and slide them in after you loosen the rebound clamps a little,,,,,,2nd Gen and aftermarket springs are probably a little bit different,,,,,,,switch the shocks side to side and see if the clunk changes,,,,,,peoples sometimes find loose or wrong size bolts, wallowed out holes, or something wrong with the bushings when they take a closer look at the shocks......  

Suspension bushings - Page 4 Repair64
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:01 am

also,,,,,loosen up each front bushing bolt a little, one at a time, to take the pressure off the bushing,,,,see if the squeeking changes,,,,,,you need to find some clues to point you in the right direction,,,,
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:10 am

Don't see any such inserts in the current springs. And don't recall seeing them illustrated in the '67 service manual, either, but I'll take another look.

I'll be torquing the front bushing bolts to 75 lbs, per the service manual. If the squeaking returns I'll try backing that off.
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:47 pm

Well, finished the front bushings. The high pitched squeaking seems to be greatly reduced. There is still some creaking which I suppose is the inevitable result of rubber bushings rubbing on clean metal (I didn't lube the bushings at all).

The clunk is still there, but I noticed something unusual about the left rear shock today. It's loosed on its lower bolt. The bolt is tight, it's just that there is play between the metal ID of the lower mount and the OD of the mounting bolt. It may be that this is being telegraphed to the driver's position so it sounds like it's coming from under (and behind) the driver's seat.

I also discovered the cause of the low power... will discuss in a new thread.
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:00 pm

Also, I checked the service manual - no mention of interleaf spring pads. Also don't see any dimples and such on the springs that would accept them.
    panelmanrd
    panelmanrd

Number of posts : 801
    Registration date : 2009-10-04

Post by panelmanrd Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:04 am

second gen springs don't have the Teflon glide pads
    like the first gens, I smeared some wheel brng grease
    between the springs at front and at the rear where
    the ends of the springs ride, also installed the bushing kit
    that don recommends, that with some new front shocks
    this thing rides like a new car. no noises from the front end
    at all.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:04 am

summit has the cut & do it urself teflon spring between the leaf stuff!! cheers 
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:58 am

I would give those thin 12" square plastic cutting boards at the 99 cents store a try to see if they work and how long they last,,,,,
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:17 am

panelmanrd wrote:second gen springs don't have the Teflon glide pads
    like the first gens, I smeared some wheel brng grease
    between the springs at front and at the rear where
    the ends of the springs ride, also installed the bushing kit
    that don recommends, that with some new front shocks
    this thing rides like a new car. no noises from the front end
    at all.

Thanks.

Some years back (around 2009, probably) I brushed some anti-seize onto the exposed areas of the leaves when the van was jacked up with the weight off the wheels. I notice that it's still there so it might not be necessary to renew that. Although I might try removing the hold-down clamps at the rear of each spring, near the shackles, to see if some anti-seize or lube can be added there. I know from leafing through my old car manuals that some leaf springs used to have covers to hold in lubricant. Although I don't think I've ever seen one in person.

I used the anti-seize because it's extremely tenacious and difficult to remove. A mechanic friend of mine once called it "Never Clean"... LOL...
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:19 am

donivan65 wrote:I would give those thin 12" square plastic cutting boards at the 99 cents store a try to see if they work  and how long they last,,,,,

What color works best? Suspension bushings - Page 4 Icon_lol

I do have some of that thin cutting board material, not being used, so it's certainly worth a try. I think the material is high denisty polypropylene. Not sure how long it will last, although it may have more structural integrity than teflon anyway.
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:20 am

Twinpilot001 wrote:summit has the cut & do it urself  teflon spring between the leaf  stuff!! cheers 

I'll check that out as well, thanks.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:47 pm

veefre wrote:
    donivan65 wrote:I would give those thin 12" square plastic cutting boards at the 99 cents store a try to see if they work  and how long they last,,,,,

What color works best? Suspension bushings - Page 4 Icon_lol

I do have some of that thin cutting board material, not being used, so it's certainly worth a try. I think the material is high denisty polypropylene. Not sure how long it will last, although it may have more structural integrity than teflon anyway.

,,,,it is a test,,,,,,,see if it works or how long it lasts,,,,,,you run tests to try and eliminate some of the 100 guesses,,,,,,,,,,
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:52 pm

Well, I found and fixed one souce of rattle/clunk.

Turns out the passenger door receiver portion of the latch was loose. The flathead screws had actually abraded away the mounting area on the door, which is countersunk (by pressing). The screws wound up floating past the sheet metal. I fixed that by using some large washers to spread the load over the surrounding sheet metal. Also went all around and tightened up all the door latch and hinge mounting bolts. Nothing too surprising there; there is a still a rattle/clunk under the driver seat area, which will take some more time to track down. It's possible it's just some of the long ass linkage rods rattling in their tracks. 

Also I can tell the rear end bushings probably could use replacement as well. All the springs probably need to be dipped in teflon as well. Come to think of it, I've got a can of teflon spray in the shop. Probably dates back to the 1970's.
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:02 pm

Squeaks returned in force today... detailed it in another thread... here...

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t40343-more-fun-with-squeaks
    DanInWNY
    DanInWNY

Number of posts : 9
    Registration date : 2020-07-23

Post by DanInWNY Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:06 am

G-Man wrote:Has anyone else have different size eyelet hole on there front 1st gen springs???

YES!!! Are you still here G-Man?!

So I got my first gen a decade ago, at least, and have just now got back to reassembling it. I was just finishing up the task of rebuilding the leaf springs. I bought the leaf spring bushing years and years ago.

I break out the bushings from the stack of parts boxes, and go to fit them, and come to find the front springs, front eyes aren't the 1.125"(?) ID, but instead, somewhere around 1 5/8 ID!!

In the thread, I've seen pics of the 2056's (ES 4.2126/Prothane 4063) at the 1.125"(?) OD, the ES 2073 bushings at 1.49" OD, but nothing any 1.625" OD.

Do you have any further info?!

TIA.

Dan

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:35 am