VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+26
3onthetree
Digz
Hellfish
dan nachel
panelmanrd
mbasaraba
Smallblockbug
VanninBlaino
white-lightning
66e100pu
RodStRace
bugman
Stoopid john
bumpbug
austinmodhouse
sasktrini
Twinpilot001
kykayaker37
63falcon757
fmc56
wirepuller
justahobby
Big W
mothradeath
econopoor
Army of Six
30 posters

Mustang II IFS build....

mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Number of posts : 823
    Registration date : 2009-01-08

Build - Mustang II IFS build.... - Page 4 Empty Re: Mustang II IFS build....

Post by mbasaraba Wed May 09, 2012 8:15 am

I have a few buddies that have used similar rack on off road buggies and the reviews I got were the got sloppy fast.

Army question about the setup you bought, I seen a few places offer the rear steer option. Did you look at that or was the front steer a better road to travel? Looks like you found a good supply of parts to go this way, would you suggest the front route?

Army of Six
    Army of Six

Number of posts : 241
    Registration date : 2010-10-02

Post by Army of Six Wed May 09, 2012 6:08 pm

mbasaraba wrote:I have a few buddies that have used similar rack on off road buggies and the reviews I got were the got sloppy fast.

Army question about the setup you bought, I seen a few places offer the rear steer option. Did you look at that or was the front steer a better road to travel? Looks like you found a good supply of parts to go this way, would you suggest the front route?

im not sure i understand your question. the kit was a rear steer as in the input shaft faced towards the rear of the vehicle. i rotated it and re mounted it so the input shaft faces forward because of the unique steering geometry of our early ford econolines. i hope that answers your question
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Number of posts : 823
    Registration date : 2009-01-08

Post by mbasaraba Wed May 09, 2012 6:21 pm

I guess I understood rear steer as the rack was behind the gear box while a front was input same direction as you turn the steering wheel. Maybe clockwise or counter would be a better way for the to describe it. Thank you for the info. Can't wait to see the next phase.

I sent an email to the guy you gave me the link for, hopefully he gets back to me. Thanks again!
    Army of Six
    Army of Six

Post by Army of Six Fri May 25, 2012 6:54 pm

sorry for the silence. it has been slow going but i hope to fire up the new motor tomorrow morning.... finally, everything is hooked up..fuel line, trans lines, radiator hoses, all the wiring. i have to crack out the laptop and re write some for the mega squirt tune. so...hopefully tomorrow i will have good news and have it running. then it will be off to the alignment shop.
    panelmanrd
    panelmanrd

Number of posts : 801
    Registration date : 2009-10-04

Post by panelmanrd Fri May 25, 2012 7:26 pm

front steer is rac or tie rods in front of
    axle center line, rear steer is rac or tie rods
    behind axle center line.
    this set up is front steer.
    I have a mustang 2 set up in my panel truck, I love
    the way it drives, like a go cart.
    has been finished for 10 years nothing sloppy here.

Post by Guest Fri May 25, 2012 9:06 pm

This thread is just plain sick ... the only welding I can do is JB ... and when I tried the real stuff ... I realised that flannel is NOT what one should wear ... lol ... amazing this thread for sure

J=M
    panelmanrd
    panelmanrd

Number of posts : 801
    Registration date : 2009-10-04

Post by panelmanrd Sat May 26, 2012 9:39 pm

flannel and welding is a great spectator sport not
    one to participate in. been there myself.
    Army of Six
    Army of Six

Post by Army of Six Tue May 29, 2012 9:09 pm

well guys...FAIL at starting the new motor. seems im having technical difficulties with my megasquirt...more like mickeymousesquirt. i ordered a new optoisolator for the U3 position...i know..bla bla blaa. anyways, hopefully its that 55 cent piece that is keeping me from getting a tach signal for my ECU. pretty much everything is on hold until i get a tach signal. i ll keep you guys posted.

thanks for the replies and thumbs ups.
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Tue May 29, 2012 9:13 pm

You sure it's not a faulty Bindle rotor...haha, I just had to say that. Good luck, we know you will get her running.
    Army of Six
    Army of Six

Post by Army of Six Wed May 30, 2012 3:55 pm

Big W wrote:You sure it's not a faulty Bindle rotor...haha, I just had to say that. Good luck, we know you will get her running.

like i tell my wife...its nothing time and money cant fix.
    dan nachel
    dan nachel

Number of posts : 394
    Registration date : 2012-01-24

Post by dan nachel Wed May 30, 2012 4:16 pm

MBASARABA, I may have just what you are looking for. It is a rack and pinion out of a golf cart. If you think this might work or are just interested I can get you measurements. Its never been used, I picked it up years ago when I hauled parts to/from ez-go.
    Army of Six
    Army of Six

Post by Army of Six Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:23 pm

Oh man.....finally. after weeks of dicking with this damn megasquirt fuel injection i finally got it to run today. turns out the chinese ebay special distributors are crap. i went to the junk yard and pulled an old distributor out of a mini van and dropped it in this morning. the difference between the two distributors is in the VR pickup. two different designs with the stock GM being superior...anyways, earlier today i was trying to get it to start..it would run rough..kick back..back fire..idle for a second and die...on and on. then while going through my setting in my ECU i found out that the ECU thinks my motor is an 8 cylinder...duh, so i changed it to 6 cylinder and everything smoooooothed right out...well a lot smoother than it has been. so next is tuning...getting the fuel and spark tables dialed in..then it will be off to the alignment shop. i just hope that all the gremlins that have plagued this van are behind me now.
    Big W
    Big W

Post by Big W Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:16 pm

Excellent news Army of six. Any pics yet of that engine bay? curious to see how you plumbed everything under that dog house.
    Army of Six
    Army of Six

Post by Army of Six Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:25 pm

what dog house? thats still on my to do list. lol. i ll post some pics of where im at tomorrow
    Army of Six
    Army of Six

Post by Army of Six Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:47 pm

went out there..fired it up..still running a little rough. im having a hard time getting the air fuel ratio correct because my wideband O2 sensor keeps re setting. anyways, i know its a front end build thread but here are some pics of where i am at right now.

Build - Mustang II IFS build.... - Page 4 Dsc09610

Build - Mustang II IFS build.... - Page 4 Dsc09611

Build - Mustang II IFS build.... - Page 4 Dsc09612

Build - Mustang II IFS build.... - Page 4 Dsc09613

Build - Mustang II IFS build.... - Page 4 Dsc09614

Stoopid john
    Stoopid john

Number of posts : 265
    Registration date : 2011-06-03

Post by Stoopid john Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:48 pm

Looks good, are you happy with the ride height?

If you haven't done it, put a brake booster check valve in-line with your PCV valve. Your clean engine will thank you later.
    Big W
    Big W

Post by Big W Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:14 pm

That's look'n mighty fine. So what are your plans for the dog house? Are you wanting to maintain the stock lid with custom side panels or just go for a complete custom look?
    Army of Six
    Army of Six

Post by Army of Six Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:32 pm

Stoopid john wrote:Looks good, are you happy with the ride height?

If you haven't done it, put a brake booster check valve in-line with your PCV valve. Your clean engine will thank you later.

thank you.

that is the ride height with the stock height spindles. tomorrow i plan to put the 2 inch drop spindles on. that should put me right where i want to be.

what is a brake booster check valve? how does it differ from the PCV valve?
    Army of Six
    Army of Six

Post by Army of Six Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:37 pm

Big W wrote:That's look'n mighty fine. So what are your plans for the dog house? Are you wanting to maintain the stock lid with custom side panels or just go for a complete custom look?

thank you. i plan on using the stock hood but i will have to lengthen it about 2 or 3 inches. im planning on hinging it in the front by the radiator so it will open towards the rear. custom side panels with a bunch of insulation. im thinking that i might try to incorporate some of the side walls with the lid. so when you open it more of the motor will be accessible. i ll will post picks as i build it. hopefully i will get off work early tomorrow.
    Stoopid john
    Stoopid john

Post by Stoopid john Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:09 pm

The PCV valve was never meant to have positive (boost) pressure and can leak under boost. That adds pressure in the crank case that can make just about every seal/gasket leak engine oil. My wife's mustang pushed out the back of the intake gasket on the first trip around the block. They are just too cheap, not to use one.

The valve is what you hook the vacuum hose to on the booster.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dorman-80190-Check-Valve-Power-Brake-Booster-Plastic-Black-Each-/370620993149?hash=item564abb8e7d&item=370620993149&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr#ht_1416wt_905

A trip to the junk yard is always good for that, somehow i always seem to leave with one in my pocket. Rolling Eyes
    Army of Six
    Army of Six

Post by Army of Six Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:12 pm

i know the negative side effects of positive crankcase pressure the hard way...lol the first time i got on it with my GTO i squirted half a quart of oil out the dipstick onto my exhaust manifolds.... spyhunter smoke screen style lol.

i checked the PCV valve in this motor and it seals nicely and as a precaution i installed a brake booster valve in the opposite valve cover. so when the crankcase is in vacuum the brake booster valve seals but if pressure in the crank case builds it will blow off the booster valve. i think it should work ok. this motor is a low boost...6 pounds, nothing crazy.

here is a pic of the spy hunter smoke machines motor Wink

Build - Mustang II IFS build.... - Page 4 Photo010
    Stoopid john
    Stoopid john

Post by Stoopid john Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:01 pm

Nice, what turbo is that?
    Army of Six
    Army of Six

Post by Army of Six Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:10 pm

Stoopid john wrote:Nice, what turbo is that?

that is a borg-warner S400
    Stoopid john
    Stoopid john

Post by Stoopid john Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:09 pm

That is a great turbo, we had a S480 on the wife's mustang

Build - Mustang II IFS build.... - Page 4 100_5929
    Army of Six
    Army of Six

Post by Army of Six Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:03 pm

nice! yea, it has been a good turbo. the only drawback is the size and weight. The GTO has been my daily driver for the last couple months since the van has been under the knife.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 4:38 am