VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+26
3onthetree
Digz
Hellfish
dan nachel
panelmanrd
mbasaraba
Smallblockbug
VanninBlaino
white-lightning
66e100pu
RodStRace
bugman
Stoopid john
bumpbug
austinmodhouse
sasktrini
Twinpilot001
kykayaker37
63falcon757
fmc56
wirepuller
justahobby
Big W
mothradeath
econopoor
Army of Six
30 posters

Mustang II IFS build....

austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Number of posts : 575
    Registration date : 2010-07-30

Build - Mustang II IFS build.... - Page 2 Empty Re: Mustang II IFS build....

Post by austinmodhouse Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:51 pm

is this the build thread where you saw the brake booster?

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t2796-my-61-econoline-p-u-in-progress

bumpbug

Number of posts : 147
    Registration date : 2010-01-16

Post by bumpbug Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:21 pm

Army of Six wrote:thanks fellas. hopefully the motor will go in this weekend and i can button up the front end. things went well today. i was able to flip the rack and pinion and fabricate some mounts. they will work but im thinking that i will redo them to cut down on the angle to make life easier on the borgenson joints.

Build - Mustang II IFS build.... - Page 2 Dsc08225

and here it is...the missing link..the piece that green lighted my whole build...without this discovery i would not have attempted this build. its a steering box off of a 80's Volkswagen vanagon. 1:1 ratio. Steering wheel input on the top and the output is a steering shaft back to the rack and pinion.
    AND yes when you turn the steering wheel to the right the wheels turn in the right direction. lol

Build - Mustang II IFS build.... - Page 2 Dsc08226

i cut the steering column shaft off of the old econoline steering box (about the only thing that old worn out steering box was good for) and fabricated a mount to mate up with the VW box

Build - Mustang II IFS build.... - Page 2 Dsc08311

Build - Mustang II IFS build.... - Page 2 Dsc08310

here i a shot of where the VW box will rest. I just started to make the brackets to mount the VW box. once that is done then all i have to do is cut the DD intermediate shaft to length and install it with the brogenson joints. and i will post pics of that later. one of my concerns was that the brake pedal would come down onto the intermediate shaft. but it cuts up underneath nicely and with plenty of clearance.

Build - Mustang II IFS build.... - Page 2 Dsc08312

Nice build, What is that rack and pinon steering out of ? And that reverse joint I seen something like that out of a Mitsubishi or honda or something in the wrecking yards they stopped making not too long ago. Some 4X4 suv.
    Army of Six
    Army of Six

Number of posts : 241
    Registration date : 2010-10-02

Post by Army of Six Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:07 pm

sasktrini wrote:AWESOME VIC!!!

Lemme see if I have this correctly:

VW Vanagon has a device like a steering transfer case that controls linkage under the floor back to the rack.

You had to flip the rack.

The Steering Knuckles on this kit have the arms to the front, rather than the rear as is stock.

That's Crazy!!! Now if I can find a Vanagon in the wreckers! Heck, Big W probably beat me to it!

yes...on the 80s VW vanagons there is simply a shaft that runs back to the front mounted rack and pinion.

yes i flipped the stock mustang II rack and pinion. im not sure if you can do that if you had a power rack and pinion though.

yes the mustang II kits have the racks mounted to the front and the steering knuckels on the spindles are on the front. here is the kit i bought off ebay..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-MUSTANG-2-II-IFS-FRONT-END-SUSPENSION-KIT-/400272257983?hash=item5d3215f3bf&item=400272257983&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Army of Six
    Army of Six

Post by Army of Six Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:13 pm

Twinpilot001 wrote:Thanx Vic= did the unit bolt up directly to the frame or did you have to fabricate a mount ? How does the brake pedal match to origional location?? Yes =i know how field trips are with the Daughters - i do the same also.

if you are referring to the VW unit then no im fabricating brackets but im ising the existing steering boxes holes to bolt the bracket too. i ll post more pics when i finish it.

the brake pedal looks to be an inch or so from the original position. the tab that the pedal bolts to over hangs to the right. i plan on cutting it and flipping it so it over hangs to the left. that should put it closer to the original position.

and we had a great time on our field trip....i got lucky, we went to an amusement park Smile (Knotts Berry Farm)
    Army of Six
    Army of Six

Post by Army of Six Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:15 pm

austinmodhouse wrote:is this the build thread where you saw the brake booster?

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t2796-my-61-econoline-p-u-in-progress

i dont think so. if i remember correctly it was a guy building like a 68 Chevy van...looks like it was being built in an airplane hangar. i remember seeing a video of him doing like a 100 yard burn out in that van lol
    Army of Six
    Army of Six

Post by Army of Six Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:17 pm

bumpbug wrote:

Nice build, What is that rack and pinon steering out of ? And that reverse joint I seen something like that out of a Mitsubishi or honda or something in the wrecking yards they stopped making not too long ago. Some 4X4 suv.
    [/quote]

its just a stock mustang II rack and pinion that came with the Helix kit
    mothradeath
    mothradeath

Number of posts : 217
    Registration date : 2009-06-17

Post by mothradeath Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:54 am

Watching this closely. This may have me diving into finishing the front end setup sooner than I was planning. Bagged front setup of cour se. I need to get less distance wheel to wheel to allow clearance of my wheels in the tubs tho.
    Stoopid john
    Stoopid john

Number of posts : 265
    Registration date : 2011-06-03

Post by Stoopid john Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:57 pm

Army of Six
    Army of Six

Post by Army of Six Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:46 pm

i think if i had to do it again i would choose the Isuzu. Just make sure it has a 1:1 ratio. judging by the shape of the body it might have some kind of gear redustion. still a nice find though. and only 99 bucks. i got my VW used off ebay for 35 bucks but it looked like they are like 800 bucks new from VW when i was searching for one. After i bought the box off ebay i hit the local junk yard and found an 80s vanagon. it still had the box in it. i pulled the intermediate shaft and all the couplers and made a mental note to myself that there was another steering box there if i needed it. i went back a couple weeks later to measure the vanagon rack and pinion to see if that would work on an old econoline but they had just pulled it out and crushed it...damn

well im off to cut and weld on her. my goal is to get the motor mocked up but i think there are too many little things before that that will slow me down....cover me..im going in
    mothradeath
    mothradeath

Number of posts : 217
    Registration date : 2009-06-17

Post by mothradeath Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:13 pm

a few pics of what coby had to do to get van-go sitting on the ground with his IFS. hope he doesnt mind me posting up the pics even tho he posted them about 3 years ago.

Build - Mustang II IFS build.... - Page 2 Ystr

Build - Mustang II IFS build.... - Page 2 Frontupdate
    Army of Six
    Army of Six

Post by Army of Six Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:04 am

nice clean setup. this is my daily driver so i dont really have the time to do what Coby or you did with the com0lete frame rebuild. i just want mine to work and go straight. a bit of bad news, i went to install my 2nd set of rack or tie rod extensions to my rack and pinion and it appears that these wont work either. i cant fins the correct ones. the thread size on the Helix extensions are too small and the threads that Speedway offers are too big. So it looks like i am going to have to but a new rack for 150 bucks from speedway. their instructions say that its for that rack (part no 91034340) oh well...like i always tell my wife...nothing money cant fix
    Army of Six
    Army of Six

Post by Army of Six Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:20 pm

well today i got the motor and trans installed. i was able to get the passenger side shock coil spring and spindle installed.

here are the motor mounts.
    Build - Mustang II IFS build.... - Page 2 Dsc08313

Build - Mustang II IFS build.... - Page 2 Dsc08410

Build - Mustang II IFS build.... - Page 2 Dsc08314
    bugman
    bugman

Number of posts : 72
    Registration date : 2011-12-17

Post by bugman Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:36 pm

I think you'll need a bigger doghouse...
    Army of Six
    Army of Six

Post by Army of Six Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:43 am

for sure.
    Army of Six
    Army of Six

Post by Army of Six Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:49 pm

well vacation is over and im back to work now so things are happening a little slower. plus i just found out that i have to work my day off next week. anyways, i uploaded all the pictures i have taken to this point to my shutter fly account. i will continue to update and add pics to this thread.

here is the link..

http://1966gto.shutterfly.com/pictures/571
    Stoopid john
    Stoopid john

Number of posts : 265
    Registration date : 2011-06-03

Post by Stoopid john Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:30 pm

Looking good, what size turbo is that?
    Army of Six
    Army of Six

Post by Army of Six Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:46 pm

i cant remember the specs on the turbo. its an ebay special....thats why i have it mounted like that...so if it loses a turbine wheel and explodes the shrapnel wont fly into me lol. im not planning on more than like 6 pounds of boost. just enough to get us up a hill Wink If i come across the specs i ll let you know. if i remember correctly it has like an 1.10 AR exhaust housing. i cant remember the compressor size or housing AR.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:02 am

One minor suggestion; The mounts are soild boxes with no escape for water. I'd at least drill a hole at a corner so it can drain. Sure most of what you will end up trapping is oil, grease and dirt. I'd still do it to prevent rusting.
    Army of Six
    Army of Six

Post by Army of Six Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:51 pm

no, its hard to tell but i cut the the side gussets on both sides so that nothing would get trapped in that little tub on top of the motor mounts. you can kind of see some of the sharpie lines i drew on one of them. there is like a 1/4 inch tall triangle of clearance. the water would simply run out the sides off of that top horizontal bead. the box part is sealed..completely welded up.

i was only concerned about water because the mounts will be holding up a chevy V6 and they neeeever leak oil Wink lol
    66e100pu
    66e100pu

Number of posts : 199
    Registration date : 2011-04-02

Post by 66e100pu Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:15 pm

Thanks for sharing the progress, but I'd rather see you guys keep it to yourself. Now I have to tear the whole front-end out of my truck! I love my truck, but with the front suspension of a Roman chariot driving it is always an adventure. I picked up one of the Isuzu boxes, and it is a 1:1 ratio for anyone contemplating using it. Thanks again for posting your progress, and I'm on the edge of my seat for the first driving impressions - 'til then I'm going to keep the plasma cutter at bay, but at the ready.
    Jim
    So-Cal
    Army of Six
    Army of Six

Post by Army of Six Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:06 pm

good to know that the Isuzu boxes are 1 to 1. im sure it is but just to make sure... when you turn the top input shaft clockwise does the bottom output turn counter clockwise?
    66e100pu
    66e100pu

Number of posts : 199
    Registration date : 2011-04-02

Post by 66e100pu Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:39 am

It's a CW:CCW box so you won't have to learn any new wild driving techniques.
    Army of Six
    Army of Six

Post by Army of Six Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:33 pm

perfect.
    Army of Six
    Army of Six

Post by Army of Six Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:26 pm

getting closer....

today i finished mounting the steering box and running the shaft and borgeson joints. im pleased with the fit.

Build - Mustang II IFS build.... - Page 2 Dsc08510

Build - Mustang II IFS build.... - Page 2 Dsc08511

quick pic of the suspension..

Build - Mustang II IFS build.... - Page 2 Dsc08512

a pic of the 700r4 crossmember..
    Build - Mustang II IFS build.... - Page 2 Dsc08513

thats if for now... look for an update this weekend.

sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:14 pm

That's all ya did, huh? Geez lol! I freakin LOVE IT!

Keep lots of pics! I'd be curious to see the work you have to do at the floor, and if the belly pan needs mods. Maybe more detail of the front steering gear how it mounted.

I'm droolin on my keyboard here! Hurry up Spring! (Well, most of our snow is gone, just a matter of who up here is willing to get cold and muddy to find the parts in the salvage yard, right Big W?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 3:08 am