VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Will a '66 Mustang 200 and C4 bolt in?

crayform
    crayform

Number of posts : 24
    Registration date : 2010-06-18

Will a '66 Mustang 200 and C4 bolt in? Empty Will a '66 Mustang 200 and C4 bolt in?

Post by crayform Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:35 am

Will they bolt into my '64 panel? Will I have to get a shorter tailpiece or driveshaft? I have a 170 and a 4 speed in there now.

Will a '66 Mustang 200 and C4 bolt in? Empty Re: Will a '66 Mustang 200 and C4 bolt in?

Post by Guest Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:30 am

In the thread below "replacing the motor" they have been discussing the C4 swap and the different C4 tailshafts. If you end up selling the 4 speed let me know I would definitely want it!
    Mike/Denver/62Econopickup
    crayform
    crayform

Will a '66 Mustang 200 and C4 bolt in? Empty Re: Will a '66 Mustang 200 and C4 bolt in?

Post by crayform Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:39 am

Thanks Mike! I'll let you know...
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:43 am

The answer would be yes and yes. The 2nd yes has variables.
    1963_econoline
    1963_econoline

Number of posts : 8
    Registration date : 2010-10-07

Post by 1963_econoline Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:21 pm

im going to play Devil's advacate and say no... even thow i know that would totally work...

Post by Guest Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:26 pm

yes they will bolt in and yes you will need a shorter tail shaft and housing and a shorter drive shaft.
    crayform
    crayform

Post by crayform Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:29 pm

I ended up just getting a different 200 with no trans and keeping the 4 speed in there for now...
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:37 pm

The Dag is well known for being a very weak trans, as well as a poor shift/gearing pattern. You can, take a later synchro 3 spd and exchange THAT early donout tail onto the later 3spd,, However, I don't think the dag tail stock is the same as the 3spd donout tail stock ?????? IF it is, then exchange the dag tail onto a normal 3spd and gain a stronger tranny as well as a better gearing setup. I am using two of the four speed columns right now for an over drive setup on a 300, in a 64. That column will make it real kleen!!!! If you were close I have got a few of the 3spds would sell cheap.
    As far as a C4 goes,, all the tail stocks interchange regardless of a pan fill or case fill. Ford used the stronger short/solid output yoke tails on all H/D applications like trucks, a real ball bearing to support the drive shaft. I have short solid yoke tail stocks to replace the car sliding yoke tail stocks, and uses an under tranny cross member, which gets rid of using the weak donout mount, and the RARE 64 only tail stock. Drive shaft lengths are able to be longer this way, and easier on your drive line alignment issues go.
    vic

Post by Guest Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:04 pm

Old Skool wrote:The Dag is well known for being a very weak trans, as well as a poor shift/gearing pattern. You can, take a later synchro 3 spd and exchange THAT early donout tail onto the later 3spd,, However, I don't think the dag tail stock is the same as the 3spd donout tail stock ?????? IF it is, then exchange the dag tail onto a normal 3spd and gain a stronger tranny as well as a better gearing setup. I am using two of the four speed columns right now for an over drive setup on a 300, in a 64. That column will make it real kleen!!!! If you were close I have got a few of the 3spds would sell cheap.
    As far as a C4 goes,, all the tail stocks interchange regardless of a pan fill or case fill. Ford used the stronger short/solid output yoke tails on all H/D applications like trucks, a real ball bearing to support the drive shaft. I have short solid yoke tail stocks to replace the car sliding yoke tail stocks, and uses an under tranny cross member, which gets rid of using the weak donout mount, and the RARE 64 only tail stock. Drive shaft lengths are able to be longer this way, and easier on your drive line alignment issues go.
    vic
    Wow I am putting an AOD in one of my vehicles and a four speed column would be bitchen.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:12 pm

The columns are hard to find, and IF YOU DIDN'T know how to look at some of the special parts, you would never know. It took a LOT of time for me to know the exact differences. I have two here,,, one for a 64 of course, and also, one that I made into a 65--67, with the E flashers option put into both of them.
    I am building the 300, with a 240 head, and VERY PICKY about my tolerances, balanced, etc,,, the torque of that 300 and the overdrive will be a sweet machine, right now looking into a cable setup to replace the shift rods in one of the 64's, of course will have to use my trannny cross member on it, as no such thing as over head mount overdrive. Eugene Phillips had made a custom one years ago, but VERY, VERY expensive. The other 64 will be using a 300 also, however an AOD
    vic

Post by Guest Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:49 pm

guess I'll stick to a B&M four speed auto shifter for my 61 then.
    ditdater
    ditdater

Number of posts : 590
    Registration date : 2010-11-06

Will a '66 Mustang 200 and C4 bolt in? Empty so a 66 mustang 200 will bolt in?

Post by ditdater Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:10 pm

i /m thinking of buying a 63 econo w/stock 170 3 sp. needing to know for sure if the 66 mustang 200 will bolt up to stock econo 3 sp set up , and still bolt both straight up to truck , same driveshaft etc. the van engine is questionable to the point money will be MAJOR issue ,so have a turn key garenteed rebuilt engine ready to buy , now i have bottom line price on van and engine , and needing a little assurance on any obvious issues on the change . also , would the stock mustang starter still blot up w/ econo 3 speed, and while i/m at it any special make header to look for ,that will clear all. thanks dudes

Post by Guest Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:42 pm

ditdater wrote:i /m thinking of buying a 63 econo w/stock 170 3 sp. needing to know for sure if the 66 mustang 200 will bolt up to stock econo 3 sp set up , and still bolt both straight up to truck , same driveshaft etc. the van engine is questionable to the point money will be MAJOR issue ,so have a turn key garenteed rebuilt engine ready to buy , now i have bottom line price on van and engine , and needing a little assurance on any obvious issues on the change . also , would the stock mustang starter still blot up w/ econo 3 speed, and while i/m at it any special make header to look for ,that will clear all. thanks dudes
    The answer to your question is a big YES. Clifford Performance has the headers. I did the 170 -200 Mustang swap with Clifford headers, no problem at all. Most of the parts on the 200 are virtually the same as the 170. I suggest adding a Clifford cam while you are at it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 7:09 am