VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+26
3onthetree
Digz
Hellfish
dan nachel
panelmanrd
mbasaraba
Smallblockbug
VanninBlaino
white-lightning
66e100pu
RodStRace
bugman
Stoopid john
bumpbug
austinmodhouse
sasktrini
Twinpilot001
kykayaker37
63falcon757
fmc56
wirepuller
justahobby
Big W
mothradeath
econopoor
Army of Six
30 posters

Mustang II IFS build....

Army of Six
    Army of Six

Number of posts : 241
    Registration date : 2010-10-02

Build - Mustang II IFS build.... - Page 3 Empty Re: Mustang II IFS build....

Post by Army of Six Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:52 pm

her is a pic of the steering box...i made a bracket that uses the 3 holes where the stock box used to go. on the other side i used the bumper bolts as the mounting point.

Build - Mustang II IFS build.... - Page 3 Dsc08514
    Army of Six
    Army of Six

Post by Army of Six Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:05 pm

Today i got the exhaust welded and bolted up and the cold side...

Build - Mustang II IFS build.... - Page 3 Dsc08515

i also fabricated a bracket for the lower radiator support. It simply bolts onto the crossmember using the original holes for the rack and pinion.

Build - Mustang II IFS build.... - Page 3 Dsc08516

Build - Mustang II IFS build.... - Page 3 Dsc08517

No, its not all tweeked out. its just a bad camera angle.

Army of Six
    Army of Six

Post by Army of Six Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:32 pm

Houston...we have a problem lol. so i finally got the tires on and dropped her down on all 4s to check out the ride height....key word meaning "dropped her down" lol man, she is slammed...too slammed. it looks cool as hell but there is no way to drive it safely. the springs are too soft for the van. it was a concern but the guy at Helix said that the "small block springs" would be fine. he was wrong. the lower a arms are pointed up. they should be level...which would put the ride height right where i wanted it. but also, when i stand on the bumper it drops another couple of inches. sooooo going to order the biggest springs they have which look to be a 450 lb/in. i will post a pic hopefully this weekend.
    white-lightning
    white-lightning

Number of posts : 237
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

Post by white-lightning Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:52 pm

Pics of the "slammed" stance.
    Stoopid john
    Stoopid john

Number of posts : 265
    Registration date : 2011-06-03

Post by Stoopid john Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:37 pm

x2!!
    Army of Six
    Army of Six

Post by Army of Six Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:06 pm

lol..you guys.

Build - Mustang II IFS build.... - Page 3 Dsc08518

Build - Mustang II IFS build.... - Page 3 Dsc08519

im off to order the right parts now. i bought 2 inch drop spindles so i think im going to pull those and go with stock height spindles and heavy coil springs. this is my daily driver and i dont want a high butt hole pucker factor over every dip in the road lol
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:29 pm

SAWEEEET...but ya, a bit low.
    mothradeath
    mothradeath

Number of posts : 217
    Registration date : 2009-06-17

Post by mothradeath Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:02 pm

Nooooooooo! Keep it that height! Haha .....it looks so good. Hey....out of curiosity how is it looking as far as lock to lock turning and the clearance with your wheels? Did you have to hack those inner humps from behind the fenders?
    VanninBlaino
    VanninBlaino

Number of posts : 361
    Registration date : 2011-05-30

Post by VanninBlaino Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:30 pm

I've been watching this come together. Looks great! I wonder how different an A100 is. Does that turbo barely fit in your doghouse, or is it way too big?
    Army of Six
    Army of Six

Post by Army of Six Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:24 pm

mothradeath wrote:Nooooooooo! Keep it that height! Haha .....it looks so good. Hey....out of curiosity how is it looking as far as lock to lock turning and the clearance with your wheels? Did you have to hack those inner humps from behind the fenders?

when its that slammed i cant really turn it lock to lock because it looks like it is rubbing/touching the outside of the tire. plus its so low that i cant really get me fat head under there to really see anything lol.
    Army of Six
    Army of Six

Post by Army of Six Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:26 pm

VanninBlaino wrote:I've been watching this come together. Looks great! I wonder how different an A100 is. Does that turbo barely fit in your doghouse, or is it way too big?

thank you. looks like it will fit ok. i did have to clearance the floorboard to the frame rail to make room for the down pipe. i havent really got down and dirty with fabricating the dog house but preliminary measurements look promising.
    Army of Six
    Army of Six

Post by Army of Six Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:27 pm

today i welded the inner fender wells/interior compartment panels. now time for a crap load of seam-sealer lol

Build - Mustang II IFS build.... - Page 3 Dsc08910

Build - Mustang II IFS build.... - Page 3 Dsc08911
    Big W
    Big W

Post by Big W Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:47 pm

Hey army...how did you make out with finding heavier front springs? any thing happening there with lifting her back up?
    Army of Six
    Army of Six

Post by Army of Six Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:08 pm

Big W wrote:Hey army...how did you make out with finding heavier front springs? any thing happening there with lifting her back up?

i ordered the "big block" springs and spindles...just waiting for them. when I track it it just shows a UPS lable has been created but thats it.
    Army of Six
    Army of Six

Post by Army of Six Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:56 pm

Day 49
    Dear Journal,

Somedays i feel as if the universe is against me. lol I got the new Big Block springs and stock spindles installed, ran the brake lines. dropped her down to see the new and improved ride height...damn, its way to high now. i alread cut 1/2 a coil just to get the damn things on there. now it looks like i get to take it all apart again and cut another 1/4 coil or so. i know that the ride will settle a little bit after driving it for a while but i dont think it will settle that much. lol . 2 steps forward, 1 step back. also, the drivers side spring isnt seated right, i thought that if i gott it on the ground and jumped up and down on it that it should pop into place but it didnt. so anyways, i threw in the towel today. i ll take a fresh look at it tomorrow and try to post some pics.
    Smallblockbug
    Smallblockbug

Number of posts : 233
    Registration date : 2011-01-27

Post by Smallblockbug Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:09 pm

Should have tried to lowered spindles with the big block springs.
    Army of Six
    Army of Six

Post by Army of Six Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:24 pm

yes, i might wind up doing that. but i know that the big block springs are too stiff because my lower A arms are supposed to be parallel to the ground. my first goal is to get the ride height (as far as the A arms being parallel) then decide which spindles to use....and if all else fails...i ll just save up and throw some air bags on it Smile
    Big W
    Big W

Post by Big W Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:03 pm

Ya no I was going to ask if you thought of using air bags...guess that answers that question. Laughing
    Stoopid john
    Stoopid john

Number of posts : 265
    Registration date : 2011-06-03

Post by Stoopid john Thu May 03, 2012 4:18 pm

This has gone way too long, any updates?
    Army of Six
    Army of Six

Post by Army of Six Thu May 03, 2012 4:41 pm

lol..sorry. ive been working on the stupid little things like shifter linkages, throttle linkages, running heater hose, i welded in the base of the engine compartment (1 inch square tubing with 3/8th inch nuts welded into them so i can bolt the sides of the engine compartment to it. i remounted the battery box behind the passenger seat. i have been working on the wiring. thats a mess. did Ford really make the main positive wire that powers the van a black wire? lol, that seems so backwards. anyways, im looking at putting the fuel injection ECU behind the drivers seat. i plan on running ALL the wiring under the engine compartment sheet metal. if i have to work ont eh motor or do a tune up i want to be able to easily remove the engine compartment. before that was hard to do because there was alot of wiring going through the sheet metal walls.
    with the new master cylinder i now have no brake lights. i bought an inline pressure switch but have to figure out the wiring for that and the wiring for the neutral safety switch. i also have to redo the cover at the base of the steering column. it is barely hitting the bolts to the coupler when you turn the wheel... anyways, just a bunch of boring stuff like that.
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Number of posts : 823
    Registration date : 2009-01-08

Post by mbasaraba Tue May 08, 2012 8:21 am

Nice build thread!

I been doing searches on the net for a IFS setup premade for my 3 wheel car project I have at home. These are way too heavy duty for what I want but Helix has some nice setups. I might end up having to make one myself but the Geometry of the mounting is what gets me a bit off, would rather a pro that has been building em for years make it for me.
    Army of Six
    Army of Six

Post by Army of Six Tue May 08, 2012 5:58 pm

thank you.

i bought these plans. there is alot of good info, dimensions, and measurements. it might be worth the 15 bucks to you.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/18-Mustang-II-Front-Suspension-Plans-streetrod-hotrod-/261019083895?hash=item3cc5f32477&item=261019083895&vxp=mtr

wait...did you say 3 wheeler?
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Tue May 08, 2012 6:17 pm

Yes 2 wheel front with single in the rear with a swing arm. I already have an RPM FNR I bought a couple years ago.
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Wed May 09, 2012 7:03 am

This is something I had thrown together in Sketchup about 2 years ago. Since then the design has changed from side by side to front and back, narrowed by 30 inches and 1 swingarm.

Big issue is finding a Rack and Pinion with a center input. It doesnt absolutely need to be a center input but would be nice. I want the narrowest IFS I can find or make.

I seen the plans in your link (thank you!!) and am going to try getting a hold of the guy to see what he can offer in the way of a super lightweight version. I want this vehicle to weigh less that 500lbs.

All my updated versions are on my home PC which I usually do all my designing on since it has 2 30 inch monitor and a spaceball which makes it a lot faster. Lol

**Didnt mean to highjack your thread, just very interested in all the info you have for both my van AND my other projects.**

Build - Mustang II IFS build.... - Page 3 Frame110

**EDIT**

Just wanted to add, someone asked me what the FNR is, "Forward/Neutral/Reverse" transfer case. This is required since I am using a GSXR 1000 motor and motorcycle motors do not have reverse. This has an input and an output with a FNR selector. I bought ($2200) this unit a while back to be used in a buggy or car project and havent gotten around to it yet.

The motor is coming off of one of my 3 bikes.(No way am I cutting up my Ducati, Lol) Since I cant ride all 3 at one time on a track day I am going to just hack up my 2006 GSXR. I rebuilt it from a wreck anyways so it isnt like I have a ton of money invested in it.
    66e100pu
    66e100pu

Number of posts : 199
    Registration date : 2011-04-02

Post by 66e100pu Wed May 09, 2012 8:05 am

I don't want this thread highjacked either, but that rack and pinion you are looking for is an easy one to find:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Small-Rack-and-Pinion-Fast-Ratio-Steering-Box,3692.html

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 5:30 am