VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+26
3onthetree
Digz
Hellfish
dan nachel
panelmanrd
mbasaraba
Smallblockbug
VanninBlaino
white-lightning
66e100pu
RodStRace
bugman
Stoopid john
bumpbug
austinmodhouse
sasktrini
Twinpilot001
kykayaker37
63falcon757
fmc56
wirepuller
justahobby
Big W
mothradeath
econopoor
Army of Six
30 posters

Mustang II IFS build....

Army of Six
    Army of Six

Number of posts : 241
    Registration date : 2010-10-02

Build - Mustang II IFS build.... - Page 6 Empty Re: Mustang II IFS build....

Post by Army of Six Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:58 am

*Que triumphant music*

Ok, been a while. I had to save up some money for phase 2....converting from throttle body injection to multiport fuel injection. i had to buy a carburated intake manifold because no one makes one. i then had to drill the hole for the fuel injection bungs. i ordered some aluminum fuel injection bungs that i trimmed to length and had a friend weld in. the throttle body is off of a 2000 something chevy v8...plenty big enough for this setup. hopefully i can jump into installing it sunday. after that i will be saving up for more than likely an airbag suspension setup for the front and rear end. the coil springs that are on the mustang II front end are the heaviest ones i could find but they still bottom out from time to time, especially with passengers up front...not good.

Build - Mustang II IFS build.... - Page 6 Dsc00610
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:44 pm

You made the fuel rails and mounts also? very slick !
    Army of Six
    Army of Six

Post by Army of Six Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:55 pm

thank you..yes, i had to make a custom adapter plate to mount the throttle body to the intake. i made that out of 1/4 in steel which made the perfect footing for the fuel rail mounts. the fuel rails are simply 3/4in square mild steel. here is a site i used as reference....

http://www.sdsefi.com/techrail.htm

i bought the bungs online (ross machine) and they are mild steel and welded on. steel wasnt my first choice but i think it will hold up fine. the stock ford fuel rail that i used on the 240 was steel. i did buy aluminum fuel rail but was concerned that i wouldnt be able to drill the .531 hole perfectly to accept the injector without leaking.
    Stoopid john
    Stoopid john

Number of posts : 265
    Registration date : 2011-06-03

Post by Stoopid john Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:36 pm

Any updates?
    3onthetree
    3onthetree

Number of posts : 308
    Registration date : 2012-01-25

Post by 3onthetree Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:28 am

Thanks a lot for posting all the pics and your progress. I learned a lot. Awesome job.
    Army of Six
    Army of Six

Post by Army of Six Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:25 pm

thank you. no real updates. I did pull the turbo and slapped in 24lb injectors. I also ran dual exhaust with the pipes exiting in front of the rear tires. i ll post a pic of that later. the tune is pretty good but damn...im missing that turbo already lol. i think im going to shop around for a smaller one.

as for the front end. those springs are still too weak in my opinion. still get that pucker factor when i see a dip at an intersection. I am either going to add air bags or i was even thinking about simply adding airbag helper springs. the ones that go inside the coils. i would have to then re locate the shock absorber and was thinking about fabbing up a bracket and running the shock from the top of the upper A frame to where the stock upper shock mount was located. my only problem is that i no longer have a day off during the week so everything i do to the van i have to squeeze in on the weekend inbetween family functions and soccer games lol. i will be sure to post when i do anything to it.

organ grinder

Number of posts : 149
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by organ grinder Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:23 pm

Vic, I'm surprised you haven't considered going with a set of coilover's for the front end. They're a little pricey but a whole lot cheaper than a air ride system. I've used them in the past on rods with your type of system and they worked out real well plus they're adjustable. Aldin makes a good coilover also Carrera. Just a thought. BTW the work you have accomplished thus far is fantastic.

OG
    Army of Six
    Army of Six

Post by Army of Six Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:54 pm

thank you OG. i did consider coil overs. i guess i like the idea of being able to adjust ride height with a flick of a switch. out here in cali there are alot of parking lots and intersections that dont lend well to a lowered vehicle. if you are looking at a big hump to get into a gas station or parking lot it would be cool to just pump up the bags to get clearance. i already scrape my front bumper way too many times.
    3onthetree
    3onthetree

Post by 3onthetree Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:05 pm

Vic from Gardena, I am very impressed with what you have done here. I am in the middle of slammin my van, and was going to go with the straight axle with some sort of 3 or 4 link and then figure out the steering. You have inspired me to put the IFS clip in. How did the width work out? We're the tires ok when you turned since you lost a few inches? I'm ready to start ordering parts to get this started. Thanks for all the pics, you do very nice work.

Brian
    Saugerties NY
    Army of Six
    Army of Six

Post by Army of Six Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:16 pm

3onthetree wrote:Vic from Gardena, I am very impressed with what you have done here. I am in the middle of slammin my van, and was going to go with the straight axle with some sort of 3 or 4 link and then figure out the steering. You have inspired me to put the IFS clip in. How did the width work out? We're the tires ok when you turned since you lost a few inches? I'm ready to start ordering parts to get this started. Thanks for all the pics, you do very nice work.

Brian
    Saugerties NY

Thank you. as you know i went with the 60" width mustang II. i have no problem with turning or maneuvering the van. every now and then it will rub if im really cranking on it in a parking lot or something. it rubs on the back part of the tire. i think it rubs on the bracket that sticks out a little bit where the engine crossmember bolts onto the frame. i havent noticed it rubbing on the front. but all in all the turning radius is fine.
    3onthetree
    3onthetree

Post by 3onthetree Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:23 am

Thanks for taking the time to answer. That is very cool. I was going to get a narrowed axle if I did the straight axle, but this will be sweet. I am looking bag my van so that it will sit on the ground when the air is out. Do you see any problems with not adding the second sub frame like you did so that I can get the extra 4 inches of drop. Do you think that the spring hats will sit too high if I do that? Judgin by your pics, it looks like it would work, just wondered what you thought since you have been there.

Thanks again, and I use your line on my wife now...nothing money can't fix...
    Army of Six
    Army of Six

Post by Army of Six Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:18 pm

i think the hats will be fine. the first thing that comes to mind is clearance of the steering shaft. Im not sure how or what kind of master cylinder..power or manual but if i didnt use the extra sub frame then the steering shaft from the VW box to the rack and pinion would go right through my power brake booster. look at the pic and imagine if the rack and pinion was 4 inches higher.

Build - Mustang II IFS build.... - Page 6 Dsc08520

even with my current setup if i had it bagged i think i could get that front end on the ground aired out....or pretty close.

just something to think about...plan it all out and if you do get into a jamb just remember...its nothing money cant fix Wink lol
    3onthetree
    3onthetree

Post by 3onthetree Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:35 am

Sorry, thought I was posting to my thread.

Last edited by 3onthetree on Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:55 am; edited 1 time in total
    3onthetree
    3onthetree

Post by 3onthetree Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:37 am

Sorry.

Last edited by 3onthetree on Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:39 am; edited 2 times in total
    3onthetree
    3onthetree

Post by 3onthetree Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:39 am

Sorry wrong thread.
    Army of Six
    Army of Six

Post by Army of Six Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:19 pm

lol
    mothradeath
    mothradeath

Number of posts : 217
    Registration date : 2009-06-17

Post by mothradeath Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:05 pm

dumb question....you said you went with the 60" mustang II clip....what is that measurement.....from spindle end to spindle end? i am planning on getting mine shortly after the beginning of the year. sux that i know so little about them.
    3onthetree
    3onthetree

Post by 3onthetree Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:29 pm

I was just going over this thread one more time to make sure that I had a good idea of what I am about to jump into. I am about to order the Mustang II crossmember and hats. From what I understand, the widest track width you can get is 60.5.

Here I go.

Wish me luck.
    mothradeath
    mothradeath

Post by mothradeath Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:55 am

I would definitely do alot if thinking before you rush into that purchase. Alot o of stuff to consider and I doubt once you buy one if anybody will take it ba k. You have seen all that stuff around the inner arches that needs cut out for clearance? Depending on what kinda dish and offset on the wheels you wanna rock will determine if you have the clearance. You of course need turn to turn out clearance and you may possibly even run into your tire hitting the engine cradle brackets. Just throwing it out there.
    3onthetree
    3onthetree

Post by 3onthetree Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:49 am

fmc56 wrote:Check with FatMan Fabrictaions. They make a Mustang II crossmember for a 66 F-100 that is the same hub-to-hub width as the Econoline and they make a special extended rack that keeps the steering geometry correct. I was going to fit the F-100 crossmember to my 63 pickup but the frame rail width on the F-100 is much narrower than the Econoline and I didn't want to cut up my frame rails to narrow them.
    Fred

If you do check with FatMan, don't tell them it is for an Econoline. I just got off the phone with a guy named Brent. And his exact world were, "if you are doing an Econoline, you are doing it without our help". Said he had done a Dodge A100 that was a nightmare. Never drove well even when done. All I wanted was the dimensions of his widest crossmember and rack kit. Didn't feel like asking after that.
    mothradeath
    mothradeath

Post by mothradeath Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:14 pm

Hehe. That's kinda funny. Maybe they don't want to be responsible for any liability or something. Im guessing if they told you one that would work the best and it was messed up and unable to go in they might be liable legally to replace it with another unit.
    clinsenbarh
    clinsenbarh

Number of posts : 14
    Registration date : 2011-12-14

Post by clinsenbarh Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:49 pm

Great post guys!
    Charley
    homebrew
    homebrew

Number of posts : 70
    Registration date : 2013-04-02

Post by homebrew Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:01 am

Great Thread!
    FCC
    FCC

Number of posts : 295
    Registration date : 2014-04-29

Post by FCC Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:31 am

So how did this play out? How are things now!!??
    Army of Six
    Army of Six

Post by Army of Six Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:21 pm

FCC wrote:So how did this play out?  How are things now!!??

If you are asking me all is good. I drive it everyday. it drives well, rides well, tracks well, the disc brakes kick ass, no slop in the steering. the only problem i have had is with the inner tie rod on the passenger side. Im having a hard time getting a very small amount of slop or play out of it. still drives good but it isnt perfect. I dont know if the inner tie rod is just defective or if the nut is backing off. I have too many other projects going on to mess with it right now.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 3:49 am