VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Lifter noise, 240 I6, hyd lifters

sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Lifter noise, 240 I6, hyd lifters - Page 3 Empty Re: Lifter noise, 240 I6, hyd lifters

Post by sasktrini Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:52 pm

I'll try that Vic Laughing It's nice that you do know more about big sixes than I do... what you said about low oil pressure makes sense.

DemonDog, I would be exstatic if you have a 300 for me (mind you, you may still be trying to talk me out of this one, and ultimately the 300 would end up in "your" ambulance).

I thought ATF might be a good idea, but I have already done a couple flushes and used Rislone.

I did the oil change... the 10w30 / Rislone was pretty thin and dirty already... actually, seemed broken down between dirty and clear... used 10w40 today, and on the advice of the parts guy, a litre of Lucas Oil additive. Drove all around town, no oil light! Idle is a little slower though, so I'll fiddle a little, and go driving some more!

Thanks folks!!!
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Lifter noise, 240 I6, hyd lifters - Page 3 Empty Re: Lifter noise, 240 I6, hyd lifters

Post by Old Skool Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:06 pm

ATF is an 0ld trick to clean things, but no good for lubrication, it will grenade later on. Loose bearing clearances can only be brought back with new parts, heavier/thicker oil will temporarily fill those worn clearances, but never like they should be.
    Used car tricks like Bon-Ami down the carb while running, will stop the smoke long enough for them to sell you the car, but will finish off worn rings and cylinders,, on and on..
    vic
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:30 am

Well, went and hopped on the highway out to demondog's after work yesterday... No problem with power and speed on the highway, though it was pretty loud... getting up to 70 mph was easy!

Oil light came on as I slowed to turn off the highway. Also, blow-by gases come through the front, and can be seen coming out of the breather. Fuel consumption is extremely high. As good as the motor feels, boy it needs help!

The drive? The wind was really making me sway across my lane... lots of slop in the steering. Demondog found that the link between the steering gear and steering knuckle was terribly worn or loose, and there was evidence of the tire rubbing on that link when the steering was cranked. So there could be a wheel bearing issue too... or most certainly kingpins. So I have to take it easy with this one still. GEEZ!

Good news... My "trailer" van's front end looks pretty good for the replacement link... hopefully the axle is good too.

Bad news... yeah, the body on the "trailer" is pretty crappy, so it's probably just gonna be good for parts.

Good news... panel doors for the Pink van, sheet metal for all the projects!

Good news... I saw the old 300 that Demondog gave me... what a project that will be. Like to start on that sooner than later though, so can swap out the 240 before it dies in here!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 2:06 pm