VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

grinding noise

grinding noise Empty grinding noise

Post by Guest Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:18 pm

im back with more questions.. i need some help.
    i was driving today to run some errands and all of a sudden a grinding noise attack. it happens when i push the clutch pedal to put it in gear. only then, not when its on neutral, or engaged in gear.
    i dont know where to start looking to find the part that needs replacing..
    all help is welcomed. thanks
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

grinding noise Empty Re: grinding noise

Post by Twinpilot001 Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:43 pm

Likely - clutch, maybe throw out baering or clutch fork?? Pull the trans & start looking affraid
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:56 pm

throwout bearing

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

Post by Magic Bus Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:45 am

dix wrote:throwout bearing

Ill second that, high percentage based on your symptoms thats what it is, good part, its cheap, bad part...gotta pull the tranny but thats not the worst thing that will ever happen to you, unless you drop it on your head or something... Laughing
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:46 am

Had a truck recently- clutch did same thing & eventually dropped the pedal low in cab?? Found the TO Bearing in clutch fork was badly installed & actually ate the pressure plate area out - allowing the TO bearing to slip inside it . Amazed me it worked ? Thae a look after trans is out. Fotos also !!Happy Vanning = after the Fix!!

Post by Guest Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:17 am

well, good timing. its cold out, family visits, autoparts stores closed. oh well. i got two weeks before i go back to school.

Post by Guest Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:11 pm

Trans is out. TO bearing needs replaced. Also, one of the three levers on the pressure plate is gone. That has got to be replaced as well. All I can do for now is just to clean the trans and the area Where it mounts. Can these trans be painted??
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:27 pm

sure you can paint it. The better you clean it the better it will stick . I used header paint. grinding noise 100_1710
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:32 pm

in side the engine block were the tranny shaft would go in there is a pilot bushing (it's a brass bushing ) should be replaced aswell

Post by Guest Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:47 pm

Nice. Anything else i should replace now that it is out of the van? Somewhere i read that i have to take the flywheel to get resurfaced. Im on a budget and want to save as much as possible.

Post by Guest Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:14 am

Cant find much for a 62 econoline. The engine is out of a 65 ford falcon, the 200. And there is a complete clutch set at autozone. (Includes flywheel)for that vehicle. ¿would it be the same? Or do you guys know of anyother car that would be the same?

Post by Guest Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:56 pm

well, went and got the set from autozone, it reads, "includes flywheel", asked the lady at the counter and she agreed. well i got it today, and no flywheel. so i took it back and now ordered one from an online store. 100 bills less.
    organ grinder

Number of posts : 149
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by organ grinder Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:42 am

Sounds like a typo error in Auto Zones listing. I never heard of a flywheel being included in a kit. Make sure the one you ordered online has a 8 1/2 inch clutch disc and not the 10 inch. A couple years ago I got the set that included the clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, pilot bushing and alignment tool from Auto Zone for my 200 and installed it with no issues - P/N NU72163-1. I'd recommend getting your flywheel resurfaced, it's cheap insurance at this point. NAPA did mine for $35. Good luck with your install.

OG

Post by Guest Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:29 pm

Thanks much. I have a question. What other cars have a flywheel that fits the ford 200? Went to several places to get it resurfaced and they run between 25 and 75.. bad part is I broke two bolts from the plate. And the only shop that said they can do it wants 150 to get em out thats including resurfacing.. is that a good price? Local JY asks 10 for flywheel. I still have to get it resurfaced but with 75 tops for that it sure beats the 150.
    I have not driven my van since last year, i miss it.
    Thanks a bunch

Post by Guest Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:54 pm

Anybody has a picture they want to share with me on how the fork throw out bearing assembly goes... what makes it act as a lever when i press the clutch pedal. I got a manual but cant seem to find it. I think im missing some parts.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:09 pm