VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Grinding and Lurching

cculella
    cculella

Number of posts : 110
    Registration date : 2011-02-03

Grinding and Lurching Empty Grinding and Lurching

Post by cculella Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:33 pm

No, I'm not talking about the new Miley Cyrus video, I'm talking about my van. Get your minds out of the gutter.

So tonight when I went to start it up, it would lurch forward, like I didn't have the clutch pedal depressed. After a couple lurches, the shifter was fairly stuck in gear, even with the clutch pedal depressed. I managed to get the shifter into neutral and the engine started. But whenever I would try and put the shifter into gear while the engine was idling, it would grind and not let it connect into gear. It has been sitting for a few weeks with a cover on it. I hope the clutch didn't go out.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

- Charlie
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Grinding and Lurching Empty Re: Grinding and Lurching

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:14 pm

sometimes a clutch will stick to the pressure plate & flywheel. pull the cover off & watch it when a buddy presses in on the clutch. also check all linkages & such??
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:30 pm

There is no cover, however, peek in at the clutch fork, see that it is sitting on its ball joint and when someone steps on the clutch, the clutch arm moves to the rear and the bearing on the inside of the clutch fork, moves forward,,,,,,you should be able to pull the clutch arm to the rear about 1/8" if you have the clutch adjusted correctly

Grinding and Lurching Repair13
    cculella
    cculella

Number of posts : 110
    Registration date : 2011-02-03

Post by cculella Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:21 am

Thanks for the replys. I'm going to have to get my wife to run the shifter while I'm underneath looking at the linkages. She's 5 months pregnant, so we'll see when I can actually get that to happen. I'll post my results.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:47 pm