VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
savage
acme383
6 posters

Grinding while downshifting into first gear!

acme383
    acme383

Number of posts : 41
    Registration date : 2009-08-25

Grinding while downshifting into first gear! Empty Grinding while downshifting into first gear!

Post by acme383 Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:54 pm

are there syncros on a 3 on the tree manual trans? i have a 66 a-100 w/ a slant 6 and a 3 on the tree. is this normal? or is something very wrong? Question
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2625
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Grinding while downshifting into first gear! Empty Re: Grinding while downshifting into first gear!

Post by savage Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:56 pm

Welcome, Not sure about Dodges , but Chevy didn't put syncros in the Van trans till 66 I think.

Grinding while downshifting into first gear! Empty Re: Grinding while downshifting into first gear!

Post by Guest Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:01 am

I've been driving my '64 A100, slant six with 3 on the tree, had it about a month.
    No syncros on first on it. Have to come to an almost full stop before putting it in first.
    Second and third are fine.
    throttlejunkie
    throttlejunkie

Number of posts : 17
    Registration date : 2009-02-17

Post by throttlejunkie Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:32 pm

^^^^What he said^^^^^

Post by Guest Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:41 pm

no synchro before 1970, and hard to find in scrap yard...i'm on a waiting list
    69 a 100
    69 a 100

Number of posts : 142
    Registration date : 2009-01-03

Post by 69 a 100 Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:10 pm

dodge uses the same gear for 1st and reverse so there are no synchros and i have the 3 speed off my van 2corrosive4u the only thing i dont have is the linkage
    acme383
    acme383

Number of posts : 41
    Registration date : 2009-08-25

Post by acme383 Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:31 pm

thankyou for the info. now i know. so you just come to a stop before putting it in 1st?

Post by Guest Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:13 pm

acme383 wrote:thankyou for the info. now i know. so you just come to a stop before putting it in 1st?

Yeah, that's the best way. It will stop the grinding. I cheat a little, but for all intents and purposes, I'm stopped. You'll get the hang of it.

Ron
    thecruger
    thecruger

Number of posts : 205
    Registration date : 2008-11-27

Post by thecruger Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:15 am

no synchros on first till 69 & 70 (my build date is 10/69) ..
    I'm one of the lucky few that has a 3spd with
    a synchro first gear .. Twisted Evil

Post by Guest Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:15 am

anyone has an exploded view or plans of that fully synchro? i have a A-745, could it be changed to synchro by changing some gears?
    69 a 100
    69 a 100

Number of posts : 142
    Registration date : 2009-01-03

Post by 69 a 100 Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:37 pm

thecruger wrote:no synchros on first till 69 & 70 (my build date is 10/69) ..
    I'm one of the lucky few that has a 3spd with
    a synchro first gear .. Twisted Evil

i have the same build date but mine didnt have a synchro in first
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by jkr Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:23 am

the v-8 trans might have full syncro's. they are called an a-903. you could have either one but i know of the 2 possibilities. i have a spare and never looked to see what it is.

Post by Guest Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:13 pm

the visual diference between the a-745 or the a-903 are the little bump on the 745 door on top of it, but i tought the a-903 was the regualr duty(car ) and the 745 the heavy duty( light truck and taxi and police....) so the a-903 is the synchro one???
    thecruger
    thecruger

Number of posts : 205
    Registration date : 2008-11-27

Post by thecruger Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:27 pm

well i checked the vin plate in the door and mine has a Chrysler
    model A230 transmission .. don't know much about them but it has synchros in first .. and mine is an orig 318 3spd van.

Post by Guest Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:50 pm

i found that i pretty much have to come to a full stop to get first gear with my '62 econo

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:58 am