VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

hydraulic lifters

hydraulic lifters Empty hydraulic lifters

Post by Guest Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:40 pm

I have been having some problems with my lifters ticking, so today I thought I would take them out and have a look at them. However I didn't know that in order to do this you have to remove the head and I didn't find this out until I had the valve cover and rocker shaft removed, so I removed the head. Its taken me all day to get them out as they would not slide out easily at all.

When they were removed they were rock solid and I could not push them down at all even when I tapped the lifter with a hammer and a bar it would not spring in and squirt any oil out of the hole in the side.

When I disassembled them and cleaned them they spring in and out fine but I know they will harden up when oil is in them.

Do you think they would be fine to put back in now they have been cleaned or should I put new ones in? I am thinking they would be fine they show no signs of wear on them.
    Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

hydraulic lifters Empty Re: hydraulic lifters

Post by Magic Bus Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:58 am

If It were me I would buy new ones if you can afford it. Its a lot of work to put those old ones back in and then if in fact they are not working right..ie not pumping up then you have to tear down and buy another head gasket and lots more labor doing it again.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:46 pm

dont mess with them=REPLACE!!! remember to add the zinc oil additive too in the oil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 7:42 pm