VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+13
61econoline
EconoUSAparts
Casimier
BloodyKnuckles
DanTheVanMan
RodStRace
chester42
lectricman
Indian640
G-Man
Magic Bus
EconoCarl
thejonathanpaul
17 posters

NORTH FLORIDA NEWBIE here just purchased 63 Falcon van! Couple of questions

thejonathanpaul
    thejonathanpaul

Number of posts : 55
    Registration date : 2010-12-03

NORTH FLORIDA NEWBIE here just purchased 63 Falcon van! Couple of questions Empty NORTH FLORIDA NEWBIE here just purchased 63 Falcon van! Couple of questions

Post by thejonathanpaul Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:18 pm

Hey guys just purchased this 63 ford falcon van. The seller says the heater was bypassed and does not work any insight on how i can fix this? I am in Jacksonville any other members around here? Also I am looking for some new matching front seats and also a rear seat! I have some pics of her I am super stoked to hook her up! I have big plans with some birch wood paneling a foldable seat bed and a surfboard rack.NORTH FLORIDA NEWBIE here just purchased 63 Falcon van! Couple of questions 3k13m53pb5T05P05R0abebc6bfe9719301d29
    NORTH FLORIDA NEWBIE here just purchased 63 Falcon van! Couple of questions -3
    NORTH FLORIDA NEWBIE here just purchased 63 Falcon van! Couple of questions 3k63m33oc5Y25T45S0abg7fc0ef55897316ee

NORTH FLORIDA NEWBIE here just purchased 63 Falcon van! Couple of questions Empty Re: NORTH FLORIDA NEWBIE here just purchased 63 Falcon van! Couple of questions

Post by Guest Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:41 pm

very nice van. Was it on ebay or Craigslist? It looks familiar.
    thejonathanpaul
    thejonathanpaul

NORTH FLORIDA NEWBIE here just purchased 63 Falcon van! Couple of questions Empty Re: NORTH FLORIDA NEWBIE here just purchased 63 Falcon van! Couple of questions

Post by thejonathanpaul Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:46 pm

Craigslist south florida will post more pics once i get them tomorrow morning. Has some minor rust but I got the van for a total of 2.400
    EconoCarl
    EconoCarl

Number of posts : 1109
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by EconoCarl Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:23 pm

Lookin' good, welcome to the site.
    Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

Post by Magic Bus Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:32 pm

Welcome! If that thing looks in person as good as it does in the photos and runs as good as it looks you almost stole it!..Maybe you should go back and give the guy another payment or two after the holidays!...JK... As far as that heater...it just depends on if he blocked off the heater core or where it was disconnected..? Good luck to you...
    thejonathanpaul
    thejonathanpaul

Post by thejonathanpaul Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:44 pm

Yes pictures do make it look better than it actually is. Does have some minor rust and interior is not the best but I LOVE IT! Yes hopefully I can figure this a/c out because its getting coldddddddd!
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:22 am

Welcome to the site!!!! Your in some good company down there, members Danthevanman & chester42 just to name a few
    Indian640
    Indian640

Number of posts : 256
    Registration date : 2010-06-27

Post by Indian640 Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:19 am

Welcome ! I would suggest going on EBay and buying a shop manual. It will answer alot of questions about these vans. They`re simple and a gas to work on. Art
    Here`s one for the 65 manual EBay auction # 170573166236
    lectricman
    lectricman

Number of posts : 339
    Registration date : 2010-04-07

Post by lectricman Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:48 am

Welcome and from one Econo owner to another..... I hope it isn't the little box heater heater core... Surprised(
    chester42
    chester42

Number of posts : 1383
    Registration date : 2009-04-06

Post by chester42 Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:16 am

Welcome JON-PAUL. There are a couple of E's in your area. Danthevan man has met them in his travels around J-ville. I'm on the other coast and am just tring to finish up my 64 Chevy 90". Never a dull moment with these vans!
    thejonathanpaul
    thejonathanpaul

Post by thejonathanpaul Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:52 am

How can I meet these fellow members? I really would like to find a local mechanic and someone to guide me with what do do for my restore.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:31 am

These heaters are pretty simple. You have 2 hoses from the engine carrying hot coolant. There is usually a valve to stop the flow (heater control valve) that is controlled by a cable. Later vehicles use vacuum or an electric motor. This can be bad, leaking or not able to open/close, or the cable can be frozen.
    The hoses are connected to the heater core. It's like a small radiator. This can be plugged or leaking. It's inside the heater box.
    Next, there is a fan that blows air through the heater core. This can be damaged or electrically bad. It is provided power through the switch and a resistor pack that lowers the current flow to change the fan speed. These can be bad, along with the wiring.
    Last, the box that houses the fan and core has various doors that open and close to move the warmed air to different areas. These are also controlled by cables or by hand. They have seals that can rot.
    If the hoses are not connected, you probably will have to take the heater core out for inspection/repair/replacement.
    If the hoses are connected, but not both hot when running, the core and valve must be checked.
    If both hoses are connected and warm, but the fan doesn't blow, check the fan (apply battery + and - to the disconnected 2 fan wires). If the fan works, the switch or the resistor should be checked.
    If there is warm, moving air in the box, the doors need to be checked.
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:47 am

Welcome JP,
    I live just a few minutes north of you in Fernandina Beach (Amelia, Island). I can help you with info repairs if needed. I have Lots of room and a huge shop filled with every tool you can think of.

We have two other Falcons here on the island and one in St. Augustine; I have done work on all of them for their new owners. If you would like, send me a Private Message with your number and maybe we can arrange a trip up here to the shop and see what you got and what we all here on Vintage-Vans can do to help you with your vision of what you want to do with your van.

Whatever the problem, it can be fixed. If your heater is simply bypassed, it's a 10-minute fix. If your heater core or blower fan is bad then it will take a few hours after you get the parts. And the folks here are your best resource for finding parts for your van. Still not a big project either way. Drop me a line and we can arrange something. We always love meeting new members. Maybe we could get Lester to come up! Lester?

Again, Welcome.

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

NORTH FLORIDA NEWBIE here just purchased 63 Falcon van! Couple of questions Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    thejonathanpaul
    thejonathanpaul

Post by thejonathanpaul Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:33 am

Thanks so much Dan makes me feel much better!
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:01 pm

Jonathan is coming over tomorrow and we're going to check out his van.
    Maybe fix the heater issue if we can. I'll help him start his "Need to / Want to" list and of course we will take a couple of pic!!!

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

NORTH FLORIDA NEWBIE here just purchased 63 Falcon van! Couple of questions Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    BloodyKnuckles
    BloodyKnuckles

Number of posts : 43
    Registration date : 2010-03-14

Post by BloodyKnuckles Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:03 pm

Nice van!

Just a quick run down on how I got my 30 year slumber van's heater working again.

First, replaced or thoroughly flushed the heater hoses. Then pulled the heater core out and flushed the hell out of it with hot water from a hose hooked up to a house spigot. The heater control valve did not work because it had years of gook on it. Sinced I flushed it with hot water the valve now works. The heater core is completely flushed and sparkly. Hooked everything back up and it will blow me out of the van. Be sure the valve is completly open. It may feel like it is but if no heat is coming out turn it clockwise more.

The key is to use HOT water for flushing.

To operate the heater you have to open the flapper to the heater core if not it will not suck air through and seem like it doesn't work.

I love my little heater.

Good luck!

BloodyKnuckles
    BloodyKnuckles
    BloodyKnuckles

Number of posts : 43
    Registration date : 2010-03-14

Post by BloodyKnuckles Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:05 pm

DanTheVanMan wrote:Jonathan is coming over tomorrow and we're going to check out his van.
    Maybe fix the heater issue if we can. I'll help him start his "Need to / Want to" list and of course we will take a couple of pic!!!

Dan

Dan, you are the MAN!

BloodyKnuckles
    Casimier
    Casimier

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-07-26

Post by Casimier Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:31 pm

Welcome John...
    Looks like you have a lot of help in Florida
    Greetings from New Jersey
    thejonathanpaul
    thejonathanpaul

Post by thejonathanpaul Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:08 pm

Yeah thanks for all the help and support dan is the man and radar taking time from his weekend to help me out. Will keep ou guys informed on the progress! I don't have a liscense plate yet but goin to take my chances I guess and hope for the best.
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:28 am

He probably bypassed it due to leaking. Take the heater box apart(remove the knobs first,kinda tricky but really not) and have the core checked by a radiator shop. Once fixed or replaced,just hook the hoses back up and use it. I ve got extra heater parts also if needed.

Ky Tim
    61econoline
    61econoline

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2009-04-16

Post by 61econoline Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:03 am

welcome jp nice looking van. there is a heater set up on ebay right now.
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:14 am

His heater core is shot. Anyone have a spare?

NORTH FLORIDA NEWBIE here just purchased 63 Falcon van! Couple of questions 15667511

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

thejonathanpaul
    thejonathanpaul

Post by thejonathanpaul Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:44 pm

First of all Dan is the man! We spent all day working on my van. We repaired some stuff well actually let me rephrase that he repaired the stuff and I helped all I could ha. We met up with Tom and hung out and I dropped my board off for some ding repair with Tom. Looks like nest weekend we will be getting together again and . Here are some pics of our Sunday funday. I look forward to meeting you all at upcoming meet ups. Like Dan said anyone have a spare heater core please it was a cold ride home from Fernadina last night?!
    NORTH FLORIDA NEWBIE here just purchased 63 Falcon van! Couple of questions IMG_2615
    NORTH FLORIDA NEWBIE here just purchased 63 Falcon van! Couple of questions IMG_2616
    NORTH FLORIDA NEWBIE here just purchased 63 Falcon van! Couple of questions IMG_2617
    NORTH FLORIDA NEWBIE here just purchased 63 Falcon van! Couple of questions IMG_2629
    NORTH FLORIDA NEWBIE here just purchased 63 Falcon van! Couple of questions IMG_2630
    NORTH FLORIDA NEWBIE here just purchased 63 Falcon van! Couple of questions IMG_2634
    NORTH FLORIDA NEWBIE here just purchased 63 Falcon van! Couple of questions IMG_2637
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:47 pm

Vanners helping vanners
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:26 pm

Sorry,,,,, but,,, no heater or water shut of valves external with cables of any sort in an early heater unit,,, LOL......... the shut off valve is inside the floor unit, unlike the 65 to 67's that use an external Bronco type on the front inner right inside of the frame and a cable to the dash control.... If he blocked it off, he simply put one heater hose to the other inside the engine compartment on the engine itself. Also,, if he blocked it off it was for a reason, like perhaps???? it was leaking?? hmmmmmmmm,,,, LOL....nice looking truck!!!
    vic

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:03 pm