VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

newbie with purchase questions?

newbie with purchase questions? Empty newbie with purchase questions?

Post by Guest Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:26 pm

Greetings from the desert,

I have been wanting to get a camper van. As I have owned VW's for more than half my life and I did start looking there. Short story is I'm kinda sick of VW/aircooled stuff. I want a/c. I started looking for 60's vans. No preference. I had given up on water pumpers and was on my way to look at a 74 Westy VW when the gods smacked me. Not more than 3 blocks away was a Ford econoline super on four flat tires in this companies utility yard. I go asking and the second thing out of the owners mouth is $500 buck and its yours. Its a 1964 Ford Econo Super, windows around, 240, clutch. Awnings on both side (shot). Shag interior(shot), panelling headliner and sides(sagging). Has bed in back no bench, looks like ice box cabinet behind driver. Not moved in years. A little rust thru in rear corners otherwise no where else. I need this rigs to seat 5 (driver included) and maybe go camping (no bump in roof).

Here is the question: What type of camper is this and how hard would it be to add benches? Needs windshield. I know the engine and drive train are easy. How hard is it to get window seals? New correct seat covers?

Pics would require another visit.

TIA,
    ed
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

newbie with purchase questions? Empty Re: newbie with purchase questions?

Post by G-Man Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:35 pm

There were many styles of camper vans, quite a few aftermarket companies did them. I know seals and glass is still out there, but not sure on the covers. Camper vans you can get deals on and from the sounds of this van maybe spending about $1200- $1500 would get you something nicer to start with. Welcome to the site
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:48 pm

Fred Carello here on site can do the seats up right for you. He knows a source for the material. The vans probably a Travelwagon conversion. Its got to be at least a 65 though since the Supervans werent made in 65. Adding a bench is a piece of cake. I ve got an original here and know a source for another or you can adapt one from a newer vehicle if thats what you want. I can get you most any used part you would need as I have a lot of parts vans.
    Lyrad
    Lyrad

Number of posts : 277
    Registration date : 2011-01-20

Post by Lyrad Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:11 pm

I don't know much about campers but some one here will be able to help you. Welcome to the site......enjoy.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 3:15 am