VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Ask Tons of Questions Before Purchase

Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

Ask Tons of Questions Before Purchase Empty Ask Tons of Questions Before Purchase

Post by Lazarusvan Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:36 am

I know this sounds like the obvious, but if you are considering purchasing any van and you can't put your hands on it in person, ask a million questions. I asked basic questions about rust, etc before purchase but there have been surprises I didn't expect that are going to add up.

I asked if there was any rust. There isn't, but it has a good bit of bondo work along the bottom that will require money to correct during a repaint to do it the right way. I just assumed that no rust means no bondo or rust repair, not the non-existence of rust.

Simple things like an E-brake not being attached (it may an easy repair if you can work on it or have access to a lift), the speedo not working properly, leaks in 3 places, doors that close O.K., multiple rust holes in the exhaust, turn signal issues, fuel gauge that floats, bent bumpers, new shifter cable, new shifter cover thats not worn, etc.

I know these sound trivial and I'm glad to have a driver, but this stuff adds up really fast when you don't do the work yourself. No complaints, just not places I was looking to spend money. Eventually, I will learn to do this stuff myself, but some of this just needs immediate attention.

To be clear, I love my van, have no regrets. None of this ultimately would have likely changed my decision. It just needs more little things than I expected. I was focussed on the big things and it's the little things that are going to add up. Be sure to ask a million and one questions about every square inch of the vehicle and then make your decision.

I think a great sticky in the For Sale section would be a checklist of questions to ask about for all models and specific items related to that vehicle before purchase.

Last edited by Lazarusvan on Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Ask Tons of Questions Before Purchase Empty Re: Ask Tons of Questions Before Purchase

Post by itruns Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:06 am

As simple as these vans are, they are going to require attention on a regular basis. My 1997 Honda Accord gets an oil change and new tires every so often, but other than that I can't seem to kill it. With old technology and the elements eating away at things, some vans just seem to have one issue after another.

Thing is that working on them and accomplishing your goal of making them road worthy can be half the fun.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Ask Tons of Questions Before Purchase Empty Re: Ask Tons of Questions Before Purchase

Post by G-Man Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:26 am

Even my low miles 69, needs stuff all the time it seems. Most of my parts are 42 years old so I alway will have to fix something
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:16 pm

G-Man wrote:Even my low miles 69, needs stuff all the time it seems. Most of my parts are 42 years old so I alway will have to fix something

I love when people ask how many miles mine has. The odometer reads over 90,000, but I have no clue if it's knocking on 100k, 200k or if it's even the original odometer!
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Number of posts : 890
    Registration date : 2011-03-10

Post by jrinaman Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:29 pm

after 40 or 50 years, anything can be a potential problem. all original could mean everything is shot, and a big list of everything replaced just makes you wonder if all the parts not listed are next and if replacement parts are quality and installed correctly. one of the deciding factors in purchasing my van was it being simple to work on and parts are cheap. i can do my own work and have the time so its more of a hobby/project for me. for someone without the skill or the time, i would suggest buying one in the best condition you can. as g-man stated, low milage doesnt mean maintenance free. rubber dry rots, wires corrode, seals leak, brake lines rust and the list goes on. a well maintained and regularly driven van is your best bet.the cost of fixing a cheap van (or any vehicle) will almost always exceed the cost of buying one needing nothing. lazurusvan, yours looks to be in better shape than mine, so dont take this the wrong way, but if you are planning to have everything fixed at a local garage, your maintenance could easily exceed a new car payment. if your willing to do the work, everyone here can help with advice. if thats not your thing, thats o.k. too but you need to get a realistic look at what needs done, what it will cost and either bite the bullet and get it to the condition you want or sell and buy one in excelent shape. i have over $12000.00 in a car that might bring half that if i ever finish it! kinda takes all the fun out of it. maybe someone in our group is close enough to look at it and maybe evan do repairs for a reasonable fee. maybe only a few minor items that all hit at once but better to know going in than to look back 6 monthes later regreting it and missing all the fun these vans can be.
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:46 pm

Lazarus all I can tell you is go to Northern tool and get yourself the basics and you can do some small stuff yourself.

I probably have $1500 invested in just doing long neglected maintenance and getting things the way I wanted them. Fluids and filters, leaky gaskets, leaky seals, shocks, bushings, wiring repair, grease fittings, all that stuff adds up as you see. They just wear out, now you know why the *really* nice cars at the car show have over $10 invested typically.

After all that I still have a "need to do" list of things I know need attention (like rebuilding all 4 wheel cylinders and checking pads and drums).

I figure just the rubber window and door seals for my van at paint time will be about $600-$800. Paying someone with skills to do the body and paint will probably run me another $2-3k, mostly in labor.

Make the most of it Smile
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:51 pm

Sadly our vans aren't worth the Big $$$$, but restoration and repair are about the same as other car restoration. Once you get caught up on your repairs the fun things you want to do will be next. Some of those repairs I believe you can do yourself. These vans are not to hard to work on.

Post by Guest Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:17 pm

Read through this thread, we all know it is alot of work, but we also know that it is part of what makes owning these vans worth while. I bought my van to have something to tinker with besides a racecar. It has been way more fun than I thought - was going to work on it "now and then" but can't seem to get away from doing something or buying the next "replacement part" for it. Looking forward to the day I can drive it, since it sat 14 years in a field before I bought it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 2:13 pm