VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
Sy Hollinshead
Smallblockbug
SuperJason
7 posters

Newbie with Newbie Questions

SuperJason
    SuperJason

Number of posts : 95
    Registration date : 2011-10-03

Newbie with Newbie Questions Empty Newbie with Newbie Questions

Post by SuperJason Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:08 am

Hello, All.

I don't have a van yet, but I'm looking to join the early Econoline scene, and I've been snooping and researching here for a few weeks. We've found a couple of vans locally that we've driven, and everytime we drive a van we come up with more questions about these vans. You seem like a good bunch of people, so I thought I'd ask you a pile of questions. Thanks in advance for your help and patience with some of my remedial questions.

What is the stock tire size for the various years of Econolines? Particularly, I'm looking at a '63 and a '66. If I need to buy tires, I want to make sure I keep the speedometer in mind.

Is there a way to identify the rear end size visually (any letters cast/stamped in)? Or do I have to lift the tires in the air?

I assume these are aftermarket shocks,with extra springs. Right? If I replace them with springless shocks, logically the van will be lower? Right?
    Newbie with Newbie Questions DSCN3863
    Newbie with Newbie Questions DSCN3855

What years and trim levels had the stainless side trim? This one is a '63. Would the same trim fit on a '66?
    Also,I heard that the early Econolines only came in this light blue color. Is that right? For any particular years?
    Newbie with Newbie Questions DSCN3846

It's missing in this pic. But what is in the box that usually sits here?
    Newbie with Newbie Questions DSCN3843

What's the black part with the painted numbers toward the top of the pic? It looks new.
    Newbie with Newbie Questions DSCN3857

In general, how to the early vans run on the highway? Can they cruise at 65mph comfortably? 70? 75? We're looking for something that can carry the family and a couple friends around town and on occasional short trips on the highway to the zoo or something (30 - 50 miles).

Also, in general, how hard is it to mount rear bench seats? Are brackets readily available for stock seats? Easily fabricated? How about for other seats, like Aerostar or Caravan seats? Ummm, are the bench seats and brackets the same for the 61-64 and 65-67?

Again, thanks for the help. In a few months I hope to be asking more intelligent questions (and perhaps contributing some answers).

- jason
    Smallblockbug
    Smallblockbug

Number of posts : 233
    Registration date : 2011-01-27

Newbie with Newbie Questions Empty Re: Newbie with Newbie Questions

Post by Smallblockbug Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:17 am

The last pic kind of seems to be the dog ear that the engine mount bolts into. They are like that in my econo truck 62.

Post by Guest Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:32 am

Some had 13" tires, some 14" and some 15". The vans came in various colors and the trim will fit any year. The trim came on some Falcon vans. As far as speed is concerned it depends on the size of the motor since there were four sizes. Generally 55mph to 65mph. As far as the "missing box" is concerned there wasn't one. They either had a 9" rear or a peanut rear.
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by Sy Hollinshead Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:48 pm

And those spring shocks are designed to maintain ride height with a bigger than normal load. They are very weak springs, and make very little (if any) difference to normal ride height.
    They are often fitted when the leaf springs are a little past their best.
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:26 pm

If you meen the box on driver rear corner of van...is for your filler neck to the gas tank which is hidden inside as well as the vent hose that comes off the top of the tank and is looped up inside this box. Is that pic of the driver rear corner? it kinda looks like it to me with the bottom of a bench seat showing. The box is flush with the rear door post and should not be in the door way. It looks like it's still there from what I see.
    EconoCarl
    EconoCarl

Number of posts : 1109
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by EconoCarl Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:40 pm

If you are looking at a both a '63 and a '66 and all things being equal, the '66 is a better choice for quite a few reasons. Biggest reason is a better frame and motor mounting, also the doghouse is a little bigger. There are many other minor differences that other may chime in about.

Also, if you get 5 owners together you'll more than likely have five different opinions! Wink
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:51 pm

I don't have the depth of knowledge on these like some here do, especially Es and Gs.
    However, I will say something that needs to be said to anyone looking at 40+ year-old vehicles, especially vans:

What you are looking at is NOT stock, not as it came from the factory and has various parts swapped, changed, added, removed and patched. That rear axle may or may not be original, same for the gears. The wheels are probably not, and the tires they made back then are not the tires you can buy now, unless you are going to Coker for old style bias-plys.
    You will have to spend a good deal of time figuring out what you have and what you want to end up with. The speedo question is an example. It's easier to get the gears you want and tires you want, and then select the correct speedo drive for your application.
    For trim and option questions, read posts here, study original brouchures and manuals (see EBay) and haunt places on the web and in person that sell parts.

Post by Guest Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:35 pm

Big W wrote:If you meen the box on driver rear corner of van...is for your filler neck to the gas tank which is hidden inside as well as the vent hose that comes off the top of the tank and is looped up inside this box. Is that pic of the driver rear corner? it kinda looks like it to me with the bottom of a bench seat showing. The box is flush with the rear door post and should not be in the door way. It looks like it's still there from what I see.
    I think he is assuming a box went next to that filler neck box in the spot where the cancer is.
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:19 pm

ah ok...wasn't sure, but ya I am thinking the same thing now.

Post by Guest Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:54 pm

It is rusted pretty bad, almost like a battery was placed there.
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:34 pm

Mike thats just typical Michigan rot. The van in the picture belongs to a member here althoufgh I havent heard from him lately. It's the 4 speed van, swapped over to a 3 speed, that never got swapped over(long expensive story). I sold the guy the 3 speed parts off my pickup I bought out of Michigan.
    SuperJason
    SuperJason

Number of posts : 95
    Registration date : 2011-10-03

Post by SuperJason Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:57 pm

Hey, Everyone!

Thanks for all the great feedback!

Yes, the "box" in question would be inside the drivers rear door.

Tim, that is the car that had a 3-speed, then a 4-speed. He bought the 3-speed from you, but it has yet to make it into the van. He rebuilt the 4-speed.

There is a lot of non-stock work done to this van. A lot of it I like. Other parts were done well, but not quite to my taste.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 4:23 pm