VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Newbie Questions about V8 Conversion

Newbie Questions about V8 Conversion Empty Newbie Questions about V8 Conversion

Post by Guest Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:10 pm

Hello,

I am brand new to the world of early vans. Just bought my first, a 66 G10. The previous owner bought it in 73' and has really done a lot of work to the 292 currently in it, along with the suspension, custom 4 on the tree with an electronic overdrive etc. I'm looking for any advice, tips, horror stories etc. about possibly converting it to a newer Vortec V8 and tranny. I still stay in touch with the previous owner who has had it since he was 17 and he is discouraging me to say the least about changing out what he has in it.

I guess I just want to introduce myself to the group and start getting any and all advice to help me moving forward with this project!

Thanks guys!
    ScottyP
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Newbie Questions about V8 Conversion Empty Re: Newbie Questions about V8 Conversion

Post by savage Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:40 am

Welcome Scotty. Your vans already got some great mods to it. If you put a V8 in ,your going to have to revamp alot of stuff(doghouse, rad,trans mount,linkage,wiring,& maybe gas tank??) Pics are always good Cool
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Newbie Questions about V8 Conversion Empty Re: Newbie Questions about V8 Conversion

Post by m1dadio Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:12 pm

Welcome:

I put a newer (1988) V8 with a 700R4 into my 65. It took a year and half of my spare time. I have lots of mechanical expirience and all the shop tools anybody could want.

Have a look

https://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o122/m1dadio/

go to the bottom of the page and select "view all"

Your van has some very good mods that are coveted by many others. You are not likely to gain any advantage going to an 8, especialy if you math in the work money and emotional stress involved. After installing my V8 I have had re-considerstions. I do have a legitimate oppinion having done this and I would say, Slow down cowboy, There is no hurry to mess up a good thing.

You do need to take your time and get the facts before making any dissisions on that.

When they say you have to change everything. It is not an exageration, you do have to change EVERY THING!!! Dog house, seats, cooling system complete which often means moving the master cylinder, , accelorator pedal system, shifter, wiring, drive shaft, trany mount, gauges, Induction system, exhaust sytem, I'm sure I have forgoten a few others.

My advice, drive your van and enjoy it as it is., Maybe make the odd improvment . But if you want something that different then what you have then sell yours and buy what you want. It will end up alot cheeper and more fun. I have about 8 to 10 thousand CND dollars into my V8 conversion not counting the purchase price. your van is probobly worth more as it is then if it had an 8 in it.

M1D

Post by Guest Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:01 pm

Thanks for the insight M1D! I do appreciate your advice, having already been there. I think I will take that advice for now and just work on the paint and body. Hopefully I will have something presentable by Spring and I can start on the interior and maybe have something fun by Summer.

Again,

Thanks to you and Savage for the advice.

I do appreciate it.
    ScottyP

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 8:44 pm