VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Newbie with a few questions

CBODYTRUCKER
    CBODYTRUCKER

Number of posts : 31
    Registration date : 2013-03-28

Newbie with a few questions Empty Newbie with a few questions

Post by CBODYTRUCKER Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:54 pm

Well my A108 van arrived safe and sound from Seattle and i'm going through it bit by bit and have a few questions if you guys can help?

Does any one have a picture/measurement of wiper springs as both mine are missing?

I need to have front glass made, if I cant get the old screens out without breaking them could someone draw round one they have out and send me the paper as a pattern??.....just an idea

Front park brake cable section, again mine isn't there, how long is it and what does it look like?? I can get one made but i'm not sure what it looks like??

Hope you can help
    Many thanks Kevin UK
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8731
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Newbie with a few questions Empty Re: Newbie with a few questions

Post by dix Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:59 pm

yes i can make you a paper templete but need a mailing address. not sure about the cable till i climd under it tomarrow. what you need to do is start watching the manuals on e-bay for your same year van. lots of usfull info there ($35.00) is a fair price.

Post by CBODYTRUCKER Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:38 am

dix wrote:yes i can make you a paper templete but need a mailing address. not sure about the cable till i climd under it tomarrow. what you need to do is start watching the manuals on e-bay for your same year van. lots of usfull info there ($35.00) is a fair price.

Hi Dix, great you can make a template for me for the screens - please can you mark 'front' 'up' maybe an arrow or something and which side it is - thanks

The front cable I think has a nipple of some sort at the rachet end and hell knows what at the other?? the routing of the cable passed the exhaust/starter etc looks tricky....gonna have to get some string out and see if im missing any brackets?? could you take a photo any chance?

If you can trace that screen id be most grateful, you can invoice me by paypal for the postage if you want my email address is

kevinpl@hotmail.com

My postal address
    Kevin Plant
    15 Harvard Road,
    Solihull,
    West Midlands
    B92 8ET
    UK

Appreciate your help mate!
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:16 am

Welcome to VV!
    England increases the difficulty, but it can be done!

Does any one have a picture/measurement of wiper springs as both mine are missing?Unaware of springs in/on the linkage, are you talking about the blades themselves?

I need to have front glass made, if I cant get the old screens out without breaking them could someone draw round one they have out and send me the paper as a pattern??.....just an idea
    I'd suggest getting a new rubber gasket and locking strips first. Then carefully cut out the old glass by slicing through the old rubber. Each side is the same, so you only need one for a good pattern. I don't know what is required over there for windshield glass to pass inspection, but they should be able to get it sorted for you.

Front park brake cable section, again mine isn't there, how long is it and what does it look like?? I can get one made but i'm not sure what it looks like??
    Since the front cable passes through the section that is different on 100s and 108s, that is important. It's a rather small cable in comparison to the rear cables, even without the sheath.
    You can find used or new (limited, hard to find and expensive). Best bet is to to either get one from a member here or get a manual as suggested so you have a reference to have one made.
    Do you have the lever underneath too?

Here is an online copy of one of the manuals. It should get you started.
    https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t13582-service-manual-download
    CBODYTRUCKER
    CBODYTRUCKER

Post by CBODYTRUCKER Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:22 pm

RodStRace wrote:Welcome to VV!
    England increases the difficulty, but it can be done!

Does any one have a picture/measurement of wiper springs as both mine are missing?Unaware of springs in/on the linkage, are you talking about the blades themselves?

I'd suggest getting a new rubber gasket and locking strips first. Then carefully cut out the old glass by slicing through the old rubber. Each side is the same, so you only need one for a good pattern. I don't know what is required over there for windshield glass to pass inspection, but they should be able to get it sorted for you.

Since the front cable passes through the section that is different on 100s and 108s, that is important. It's a rather small cable in comparison to the rear cables, even without the sheath.
    You can find used or new (limited, hard to find and expensive). Best bet is to to either get one from a member here or get a manual as suggested so you have a reference to have one made.
    Do you have the lever underneath too?

Here is an online copy of one of the manuals. It should get you started.
    https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t13582-service-manual-download

Thanks again for your reply - yeah I have the middle section and the lever for the park brake cables - just need to see the front piece and how it passes the engine etc,

As for the glass - I have a windshield gasket on its way - I might have to try and pick out the filler strips!....has anyone managed this?? they look pretty good!
    Here in the UK the legislation is a croc of you know what when it comes to windshields, you cant have any chips/cracks in the path of the wiper blades yet you can mount a sat nav on the screen anywhere you want?????....go figure!
    I have a workshop manual for a 67 but the section on the park brake cable doesn't describe the path the cable takes when it leaves the rachet passed the pulley and onto the lever conection, as I haven't got one to take off im going to have to use trial and error and figure it out! just looks like a nipple each end right?
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8731
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:37 pm

Rod did bring up a very good point.. new front windows cost me $200. and the window gasket is somewhere around $100. so spend the money on the new rubber gasket. BUT if you still want the pattern juut let me know.....

Number of posts : 42
    Registration date : 2012-09-24

Post by 1040imp Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:36 am

Excellent. Another UK Dodge! Welcome Kevin.

If you won't some tips on registering your van with the DVLA give me a shout. I had a bit of a nightmare but hopefully all sorted now.

I've also built up a bit of a spares collection so let me know if you need anything!

Cheers,

Hugh
    CBODYTRUCKER
    CBODYTRUCKER

Post by CBODYTRUCKER Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:18 pm

1040imp wrote:Excellent. Another UK Dodge! Welcome Kevin.

If you won't some tips on registering your van with the DVLA give me a shout. I had a bit of a nightmare but hopefully all sorted now.

I've also built up a bit of a spares collection so let me know if you need anything!

Cheers,

Hugh
    Hi Hugh nice of you to drop me a line, I think the UK needs more of these vans theyre just too cool not too, make a nice change from the V-dub stuff!
    Its starting to turn into a bit of a nightmare, just found out I have the wrong exhaust manifolds on my 318 today......and broke the gear selector cable.....and.....and....ah well I could be down the pub enjoying a nice cold beer?...hmmmmm!!
    ...As for parts, screens, front doors, heater matrix, Auto gear selector cable, park brake cable!!.....yeah might just go down the pub after all.
    Might have got a lead on a pair of doors today though! ....nice of the American chaps to create a site just for us ;-) ....cheers fellas! i'm sure i'll be bugging you till eternity!....or till I get my van on the road.....probably be eternity then!! i'm off down the pub.
    Kev

Gothboy
    Gothboy

Number of posts : 714
    Registration date : 2012-07-02

Post by Gothboy Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:45 am

Welcome friend! Have a great time with it!!! Smile
    1040imp
    1040imp

Number of posts : 42
    Registration date : 2012-09-24

Post by 1040imp Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:36 am

Hi Kevin,

You're right they are definitely cooler than VW's, they just need a bit more thought and inginuity to restore!

Loads of help and info here - fantastic forum with some really knowledgeable and helpful people.

Hugh
    CBODYTRUCKER
    CBODYTRUCKER

Post by CBODYTRUCKER Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:49 pm

1040imp wrote:Hi Kevin,

You're right they are definitely cooler than VW's, they just need a bit more thought and inginuity to restore!

Loads of help and info here - fantastic forum with some really knowledgeable and helpful people.

Hugh
    Yes Hugh it seems that way, I've gotten introduced to a guy named Rob via Wayne at 'Intergalactic Custom Shop'.....cool name or what! and I've already got my name on a pair of front doors, the shifter cable I need and hopefully some other nick nacks that will be on my shopping list so i'm getting there slowly.....found the reason why my exhaust manifolds were blowing like a brass band, I had early manifolds on late style heads!!....doh!
    got a good pair from Stateside Autos in Atherstone and have spent tonight preparing them for tomorrow, then I gotta create the downpipes from there flanges and weld to the existing Y pipe which is pretty good - so making progress Hugh
    Did you sell your van in the end? I remember you contacted me when I was looking for one on rods n sods?
    CBODYTRUCKER
    CBODYTRUCKER

Post by CBODYTRUCKER Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:51 pm

Gothboy wrote:Welcome friend! Have a great time with it!!! Smile
    Thanks for the welcome Gothboy these A vans are sooooo cool, and soooooo easy to work on

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 8:38 am