VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
donivan65
southern man
6 posters

Couple Stupid Questions!

southern man
    southern man

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-05-21

Couple Stupid Questions! Empty Couple Stupid Questions!

Post by southern man Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:51 pm

I'm in the process of installing my new polished aluminum dash cover from D&D and need to remove the ignition switch, lights and wiper stalks. So, any advice on how to do it? I looked at the backside but it doesn't seem obvious and before I start messing around I thought I'd ask (which is the opposite of my usual approach to things like this!).

Also, I haven't turned the headlights on in quite awhile, and when I tried it tonight the stalk came completely out of the housing. Am I screwed, and need a new assembly, or is this something that can be remedied?

Thanks, in advance.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Couple Stupid Questions! Empty Re: Couple Stupid Questions!

Post by donivan65 Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:14 pm

Some ignition switches need the key cylinder removed first by putting the key in,,,,,putting a paper clip in the hole above it and turning the key counterclockwise to remove it so you can undo the bezel and let the switch come out the back,,,,,,,,the headlight switch shaft is held in place by a small button and a spring on the backside of the headlight switch,,,,,,so that button could be broken or rusted and is not holding the shaft in place,,,,,,

Couple Stupid Questions! Repair16

Couple Stupid Questions! Repair17
    61econoline
    61econoline

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2009-04-16

Post by 61econoline Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:15 pm

yep the econo ignition removal is as stated above turn key toward acc and insert paper clip or similar tool,after the lock cylinder is out push on the housing from behind while turning the front of the housing spring loaded it should pop apart.Light switch has a button on top to release handle and shaft,then housing just screws apart.not spring loaded.sounds like your button might be stuck or maybe broken.I find it easier to access these switches if gauge cluster is removed.
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:00 pm

Disconnect the battery before you mess with the headlight switch which contains the fuse box.

Post by Guest Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:33 pm

southern man wrote:I'm in the process of installing my new polished aluminum dash cover from D&D and need to remove the ignition switch, lights and wiper stalks. So, any advice on how to do it? I looked at the backside but it doesn't seem obvious and before I start messing around I thought I'd ask (which is the opposite of my usual approach to things like this!).

Also, I haven't turned the headlights on in quite awhile, and when I tried it tonight the stalk came completely out of the housing. Am I screwed, and need a new assembly, or is this something that can be remedied?

Thanks, in advance.
    Why do you have to remove anything?? Doesn't the dash cover have holes pre cut that slip right over the bezels?? Mine did.
    Indian640
    Indian640

Number of posts : 256
    Registration date : 2010-06-27

Post by Indian640 Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:32 am

Southern Man, here is a listing for an original 1965 shop manual on EBay # 160481292410, a little over $30.00 with shipping. I just removed my gauge cluster and everything on the dash so I could paint it, I couldn`t have done it without this book. Art
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:54 am

And back to your headlight switch,,,,,,you normally can wear your finger out pressing the button before the knob and shaft slides out so you can remove the bezel and pull the switch out,,,,,,,,,but it should just lock back in if you push it back in,,,,,,,so IF that is the right knob and shaft, I would spray WD40 in the hole and on the button, then hold the button down and slide the knob and shaft back in, then see if it stays in when you let the button up, or try and pull up on the button to get it to stay in...........otherwise its time for another switch........

Couple Stupid Questions! Headli10
    Indian640
    Indian640

Number of posts : 256
    Registration date : 2010-06-27

Post by Indian640 Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:16 am

Southern, Just in case, I listed this on another thread. # 110577825759 on Ebay, headlight switch, less than 30.00 and free shipping.... Art
    southern man
    southern man

Post by southern man Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:21 am

"Why do you have to remove anything?? Doesn't the dash cover have holes pre cut that slip right over the bezels?? Mine did."

DOH!!!! I don't know, I just assumed I had to remove them! Thanks Mike.

And thanks to all the other posted suggestions. I'm not near the van now but will check it all out as soon as I can.
    southern man
    southern man

Post by southern man Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:17 pm

Success! Donivan, your suggestion worked like a charm! I sprayed a little WD-40 down into the hole, inserted the shaft, and pressed the button on the housing. I tried it first without the lube, to no avail. But within a few seconds after using the WD it clicked into place and works fine.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:12 pm

Thats the good thing about this site,,,,,,,lots of people looking at things from different angles,,,,,,lots of different answers,,,,,,usually someone will come up with an answer that will work,,,,,,..........
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Number of posts : 2214
    Registration date : 2008-11-17

Post by Nightmoves Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:23 pm

That and your pics help get a better grasp of whats going on,you got a pic of just about everything.Thanks bud.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 7:11 am