VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
Russell
jrdunn96
ramian09
7 posters

Major upgrades

Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Major upgrades - Page 3 Empty Re: Major upgrades

Post by Seth G Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:27 pm

Yeah that would take some getting used to!!! LOL I'm glad it's going to be fine.
    ramian09
    ramian09

Number of posts : 167
    Registration date : 2010-01-26

Post by ramian09 Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:08 pm

Got the clutch and the brake pedals in. Had to modify the clutch pedal to go around the new pitman arm. We'll see how many years I get out of it before I imagine that pivot point will need some love. The pics on here always get cut off weird so hopefully you can see what I did. We are now working on the plenum for the intake manifold should have it done tomorrow then on to the next step.
    ramian09
    ramian09

Post by ramian09 Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:10 pm

Major upgrades - Page 3 Img_2017
    Major upgrades - Page 3 Img_2019
    Major upgrades - Page 3 Img_2018
    Major upgrades - Page 3 Img_2020

ramian09
    ramian09

Post by ramian09 Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:56 pm

Hey guys got the intake all welded up and the
    Ordering the stainless for the header tomorrow. Anybody on here know how or have any ideas on how to convert our distributor over with a sensor in it for fuel injection? I need a cam signal. I know it can be done just not sure how. It currently has a pertronix ignitor in it. Thanks Major upgrades - Page 3 Img_2021
    Major upgrades - Page 3 Img_2022
    Seth G
    Seth G

Post by Seth G Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:14 pm

Get a distributor for an EFI 300 F150 like '92

The intake looks great!
    Seth G
    Seth G

Post by Seth G Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:54 pm

Are you going to have room to get an elbow on that throttle body before the radiator? I thought you come out top center with the throttle body, but with mpi I guess it matters not.
    ramian09
    ramian09

Post by ramian09 Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:06 pm

The I moved the radiator up front under the floor behind the grill where it should of been in the first place in my opinion. The turbo will be mounted right where the radiator was. I'm hoping there is just enough room for all the piping. It won't be an elbow issue it will be if there is enough room for a turbo with an intake pipe and exhaust pipe that have to go by it in front of the motor. If there isn't then we will have to pinch some piping. Evil or Very Mad Mad
    jdlaugh
    jdlaugh

Number of posts : 298
    Registration date : 2013-03-18

Post by jdlaugh Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:17 am

I'm running MegaSquirt using the late 80s/early 90s distributor from a F150 with the 4.9 engine. It's a direct drop-in for the 240 and has a hall effect sensor that provides a good signal for EFI systems.
    ramian09
    ramian09

Post by ramian09 Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:55 am

Nice thanks for the info. That is definitely the option I am going to go with. Do you know any one with the mega squirt maps for one of these motors that's been turbod?
    jdlaugh
    jdlaugh

Post by jdlaugh Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:59 am

ramian09 wrote:Nice thanks for the info. That is definitely the option I am going to go with. Do you know any one with the mega squirt maps for one of these motors that's been turbod?

No, but the latest version of the MS software includes a base map that will get you up and running. You can tune from there. I'm using a Chevy TBI on a custom log manifold, but like the looks of your manifold and MPI setup. I'll be interested to see how it performs.
    Seth G
    Seth G

Post by Seth G Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:13 am

ramian09 wrote:The I moved the radiator up front under the floor behind the grill where it should of been in the first place in my opinion. Evil or Very Mad Mad

I forgot you moved the radiator.
    ramian09
    ramian09

Post by ramian09 Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:02 pm

I just ordered the intercooler, the stainless for the header, and the distributor. Hopefully I will be working on the hard mount to the motor for the turbo tomorrow. If not i will definitely be getting close to finishing up all the holes in the floor so I can take them back out for powder coat.
    ramian09
    ramian09

Post by ramian09 Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:21 pm

Mega squirt has a base map for turbod 300 Six's? Is there's one of the sled learning ones?
    jdlaugh
    jdlaugh

Post by jdlaugh Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:57 pm

ramian09 wrote:Mega squirt has a base map for turbod 300 Six's? Is there's one of the sled learning ones?

The MS base map works on any engine. You enter the parameters, like displacement, maximum boost, etc. and it gives you a "safe" conservative fuel and spark map that will get you up and running. You then tune from there. I don't know of anyone with a turbo 4.9/300 six map.

Megasquirt is a major learning experience. You have to be really ready to devote some time and brain power to use it. It's definitely NOT plug and play.... Shocked
    ramian09
    ramian09

Post by ramian09 Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:55 am

Yeah I can't decide which one to go with the holley HP EFI, or the megasquirt? I'm talking to some guys on fordsix.com there has definitely been some turbod 300s on there lol.
    ramian09
    ramian09

Post by ramian09 Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:40 pm

Got the turbo mounted. Also got a rough cut out with a plasma cutter of the header flange that will bolt to the head. Should be milling the flange to make it match my old headers exactly tomorrow. Also am going to pull the floors out and the harmonic balancer off tomorrow. I think I have decided that I am going with rhino line on the floors instead of powder coat. The balancer is going to a special balancer shop to have 60 teeth cut into it for the crank signal. If all goes well tomorrow we might actually cut some tubes tomorrow for the header too!!!Major upgrades - Page 3 Img_2023
    Major upgrades - Page 3 Img_2024
    Major upgrades - Page 3 Img_2025
    ramian09
    ramian09

Post by ramian09 Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:45 pm

It's been awhile since I've posted, intern we have actually gotten some stuff done. We got 90% of the header done and are just waiting on an order of some more 2 inch stainless tubes, and some V band clamps. That should be here this week. Then we will be finishing it up to the turbo.
    Major upgrades - Page 3 Img_2029
    Major upgrades - Page 3 Img_2030
    We started cutting up some brand new intercoolers so we can make them one. We are cutting off the ends of both of them and connecting the tanks. This will give us the inlets and outlets on the same side.
    Major upgrades - Page 3 Img_2031
    Major upgrades - Page 3 Img_2032
    I had the new floor boards rhino lined where they wouldn't be welded. I have welded in the floors, sealed all the seams, and have almost finished sanding everything for a final coat of rhino lining on the welded parts and some parts of the floor that didn't get replaced.
    Major upgrades - Page 3 Img_2033
    I wouldn't wish this process on my worst enemies. There are so many nokes and crannies on the front of these old vans. I'm trying really hard to take my time and do a good job. Once the floors are finished we will be mounting the radiator and intercooler. Then just on to the wiring and sensors. There might actually be a light at the end of the tunnel. Oh yeah still have to finish the steering aka reinforce the frame and floor around the steering box before we rhino line, and install the new gas tank, intake gas pump and all the fuel lines lol.... Almost done.... NOT!!!
    ramian09
    ramian09

Post by ramian09 Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:04 pm

Major upgrades - Page 3 Img_2034
    How do you make this thing show the whole picture?
    jdlaugh
    jdlaugh

Post by jdlaugh Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:34 am

Glad to see you're making progress!

To make the picture fit, when you select the "host an image" button, you have to also select 640 pix width for websites. That's in a dropdown box. The default is 800 pix width (for forums) but that is actually too wide and the picture gets cut off.

Here's one of your pictures set to 640 width:

Major upgrades - Page 3 Two_in10

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 3:09 am