VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Upgrades to original van for Daily Driving

gunther911

Number of posts : 21
    Registration date : 2018-11-20

Upgrades to original van for Daily Driving Empty Upgrades to original van for Daily Driving

Post by gunther911 Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:21 pm

New owner of a 1967 Falcon Club Wagon with original 240 engine and C4 automatic transmission.  Solid rust free body & frame and only 63K original miles.  

I'm looking to drive this Van much more frequently than it has been driven these past 50 plus years.

It's my first 1960's vehicle since 1988 and I've got great intentions, just not a lot of hands on knowledge.  I've read tons of posts trying to learn as much as I can.

So, my mechanic will give it a once over to make sure it is mechanically safe and sound, but I want to provide to him a laundry list of improvements to do.

On my list are front disc brakes, electronic ignition, converting oil bath filter to paper, and upgrading/replacing suspension springs, shocks and bushings.

Any recommendations on product brands, product sources and installation order (since budget isn't unlimited).  And is there anything else I really should consider that I am overlooking?

I really appreciate everyone's opinions!  Thanks so much.
    jrdunn96
    jrdunn96

Number of posts : 690
    Registration date : 2016-01-01

Upgrades to original van for Daily Driving Empty Re: Upgrades to original van for Daily Driving

Post by jrdunn96 Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:16 pm

Congratulations on the new wheels and welcome to VV!!!
    jdlaugh
    jdlaugh

Number of posts : 298
    Registration date : 2013-03-18

Upgrades to original van for Daily Driving Empty Re: Upgrades to original van for Daily Driving

Post by jdlaugh Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:57 pm

If everything is working like it should, there's really no particular order to upgrading. Electronic ignition is relatively inexpensive and a good upgrade. I'd start there. The oil bath cleaner works fine but converting it to a filter element just takes your time. The only real cost is that of the element itself.

If you're happy with the ride height, then the springs are probably okay. Shocks are a routine maintenance item and not expensive. Basic chain-store shocks are fine for a daily driver.

Macs carries a good assortment of hard to find parts. Dennis Carpenter Ford parts and C&G Ford Parts also carry an assortment of parts for the Econoline.

D&D Disc Brakes is the most commonly used conversion kit. I've done the conversion, but I thought the drum brakes worked fine when they're in good repair.

Good luck! And Post pictures!

vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:50 pm

King pin replacement if needed is something to look into for good handling. Welcome aboard, I think you’re going about it the right way. Make sure it’s mechanically sound first and go from there. Since it’s a 67, you already have a dual master cylinder which is a good safety feature and a jump start for the front disc conversion. Lots of people here who are very helpful and share the same passion. Look forward to seeing some pictures of your ride!

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 4:57 am