VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
dan nachel
kookykrispy
6 posters

electronic ignition upgrades for ford econoline inline six?

kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

electronic ignition upgrades for ford econoline inline six? Empty electronic ignition upgrades for ford econoline inline six?

Post by kookykrispy Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:26 am

Hey everyone, we have a early van club here in Seattle/Tacoma called Bustin' loose early vans. One of our members has an econoline with the 240 inline six. He was wondering what options are available to upgrade to Electronic ignition? He'd like to get away from points, but I am more of a GM guy, so I was not sure about what direction to suggest. Any suggestions are appreciated!
    dan nachel
    dan nachel

Number of posts : 394
    Registration date : 2012-01-24

electronic ignition upgrades for ford econoline inline six? Empty Re: electronic ignition upgrades for ford econoline inline six?

Post by dan nachel Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:09 am

He can get a newer dist. from a car in the junk yard or he can get a pertronix. The pertronix replaces the points in his curent dist.
    BoneMan
    BoneMan

Number of posts : 169
    Registration date : 2011-06-23

electronic ignition upgrades for ford econoline inline six? Empty Re: electronic ignition upgrades for ford econoline inline six?

Post by BoneMan Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:35 pm

What Dan said - +1 for Pertronix.  Uses stock distibutor. Simple and effective.

1949-74 6 All models (excluding V-6 engine) Autolite 1261 91261
    1963-67 6 All models (excluding V-6 engine) Motorcraft 1266 91266

http://www.amazon.com/PerTronix-91261-Ignitor-Adaptive-Cylinder/dp/B001GQQT4I/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1398021979&sr=1-1&keywords=91261
    Abitibi
    Abitibi
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 479
    Registration date : 2014-06-23

Post by Abitibi Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:55 pm

Hey guys, I'm looking at changing to electronic ignition as well for my '65 Econoline Falcon with the little 170.

What's the difference between the 1261, 91261 or the 91266?

Cheers
    Mr. Ð
    Abitibi
    Abitibi

Post by Abitibi Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:34 am

No one?
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:26 am

I'm guessing they're just the different part numbers because one is an Autolite part and the other is a Motorcraft part.

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Abitibi
    Abitibi

Post by Abitibi Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:52 pm

So I'm I good to get either for my 170? I recall reading something about some not properly around the centre part.

Thanks again!
    Mr. D
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:30 pm

I would call PerTronix and find out from the source which one would be best fit for the 170. Or, if you click on the ad above, usually there is a spot to ask questions about the product. There are many suppliers of these like Performance Parts, etc. If you go to any of these sites, there's usually a contact number you can call for more specific info as well.

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Abitibi
    Abitibi

Post by Abitibi Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:35 pm

Thanks for the feedback!

Cheers
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:18 pm

I connected to the ad above and submitted the question about your 170 motor and this was the response from one of the customers:

Does the distributor have a single vacuum line? I would say yes if so. But the people that answer the phones at pertronix are VERY helpful I'd suggest calling them.

Here's the contact info for Pertronix: http://www.pertronix.com/support/contact/default.aspx

Abitibi
    Abitibi

Post by Abitibi Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:57 pm

That's perfect, thanks a bunch for all your help. Kinda new here but looking forward to keep my van healthy!

Cheers
    Mr. D
    dulcimerbob
    dulcimerbob

Number of posts : 115
    Registration date : 2014-01-31

Post by dulcimerbob Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:37 pm

I di the Pertronix on my 65/240 and it's been great. 71.00 on Ebay delivered. Cool 

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 5:25 pm