VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
vanny
johnnyvee
6 posters

johnnyvee
    johnnyvee

Number of posts : 30
    Registration date : 2015-11-06

New Member Empty New Member

Post by johnnyvee Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:40 am

Hi, an introduction first, I am John Vinzani from Somerset, Pa. I am 60 years young. I once had a '62 Ford Econoline pickup back in the '70's man. It was a 5 window. My dad and I built a log cabin on the back of it. I used it as a daily driver, along with my Camaro and my Kawasaki triples. It was a scene of wildness. Told my wife that before I leave this earth, I would own another one. She replyed, "you will never grow up will you?" I said "Thank you". Anyway, I recently purchaced a 3 window '63 project. It has a tired 144 that the clutch slips and has motor problems. The body is solid, so it's a keeper, and will be fixed up a little at a time. I found a '65 Mustang 200 motor that we are going to put in. What issues should I expect? From what I read, it should be a pretty good swap. Any help or tips will be greatly appreciated. I hope the bell housing and flywheel all swap. Aer you guys running 10" clutch plates? I will need more advice and help along the way with my project, like options for seats, windshield and door moldings. BTW, what rear gears are you guys running in these? This one seems like it needs changed. It has no top end.
    Thanks............johnnyvee
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

New Member Empty Re: New Member

Post by vanny Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:57 am

Welcome to VV Johnny. You're gonna love this site. Lots of helpful folks here. If you click on the search tab at the top of the page, then type swap and hit the Go button, you will find many threads on the subject
    Like this one: https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t48817-200-inline-6-swap-help?highlight=swap

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:09 am

Hi Johnnyvee. Welcome. The 200 is a great swap. It basically bolts right in. Unfortunately using the ten inch clutch won't work. 61-64 Econolines don't have the trans hump for the bell housing that 65-67's have. The 8.5 inch clutch will work ok. I had one friend that used the 10 inch on his but he had to move the engine forward to make room for it. The ten inch bell housing is also deeper than the 8.5 so a longer input shaft is required as well. That means a new transmission. The ten inch clutch was used on factory 200's in Econolines but all of those were 1966 models that had the trans hump so the bell housing had clearance. They used the big six trans with the longer input. They also required a special trans mount and a shorter drive shaft. They were very rare and only three are known to exist. Finding parts to do that would be next to impossible.

Depending on which carb you may have a problem with the linkage. The easy fix is to convert to a 65-67 big six cable linkage. You'll need the pedal, mousetrap, and cable. Vic in Socal on here as oldskool sells them or maybe you can find one on someone's parts truck.

Duane
    johnnyvee
    johnnyvee

Post by johnnyvee Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:28 pm

Thanks guys for the warm welcome and the input. Duane, I checked rock-auto for a clutch kit. They have one, but it is a 10" clutch plate, not a 8.5". I will measure the one I have in the 144 and replace it with what is in there. I hope to get the 200 motor next week. We will look to see what it needs first before putting it in. Thanks...............johnnyvee
    uante
    uante

Number of posts : 1466
    Registration date : 2014-01-26

Post by uante Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:34 pm

Welcome Johnnyvee! Looking forward to seeing how your project goes!
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Post by econopoor Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:03 am

Johnnyvee, Rock Auto quit listing 8.5 clutches for Econolines for some reason. They still have them for Falcons and Mustangs. You can buy one of those. I've noticed that sources for 8.5 clutches are drying up. Hard to believe but 64 1/2-68 Mustangs are no longer daily drivers and the demand has finally fallen. Better start keeping those cores so you can get them rebuilt when you need to. We have a rebuilder in Memphis. That may become our only source for a clutch.

Duane
    johnnyvee
    johnnyvee

Post by johnnyvee Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:44 am

Duane,
    I see Rock-auto sells an 8.5 clutch kit for Mustangs from the 60's. If mine is an 8.5' plate, will the 'stang plate fit?
    Thanks.............johnnyvee
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:22 pm

Welcome to VV Johnnyvee. Post up a pic of your project, weed love to see it. And YES!!! you have come to the right place. Great people in here with ton of knowledge.
    johnnyvee
    johnnyvee

Post by johnnyvee Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:22 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome guys and the tips. I will try to post some pics. I will have my wife help me...............johnnyvee
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Post by econopoor Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:04 pm

johnnyvee wrote:Duane,
       I see Rock-auto sells an 8.5 clutch kit for Mustangs from the 60's. If mine is an 8.5' plate, will the 'stang plate fit?
    Thanks.............johnnyvee

I haven't bought one myself but I've been told be my expert that they are indeed the same clutch. We were just talking about this very subject a couple of weeks ago. My expert is Jay Long over at econosrus Yahoo group. He's been messing with Econolines since they were new. He's taught me everything I know about our trucks.

Duane
    Casimier
    Casimier

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-07-26

Post by Casimier Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:13 am

Hey JohnnyVee

Welcome to the site.
    One thing I've learned about this site is to ask before you do anything to your Econoline.
    I mean anything.
    It will save you so much time and money.

Like Duane said just put your question in the search and wallah!  You get your answer 90% of the time.
    The guys on this site are great.

You live in western PA and can get to some fine shows come June.
    Bakers in Milford. MI, All Fords in Carlisle, PA and Northeast Van Show in Millstone,NJ which is in July.  Meet the local guys , share the stories and get the knowledge.

For example;  four years ago I was in Carlisle and I notice that Doug Shinn from Canada had a pop out window on his 5 window truck.  Doug shared the glass template, Fred Carello shared the hinges he had gotten out of an '85 astro and now I have a pop out window.  Man does it let the air thru! Thanks again guys.  

Just stuff like that.

Jim aka Casimier
    surfcasimier@yahoo.com
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Post by econopoor Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:50 am

New Member DSC09144-vi

Doug Shin's pop out rear window.