VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+57
uante
m1dadio
SteelyVan
uncle ron
Bear
AzDon
Zuffen
Van crazy
mattimuss
OutofSight
whalemstr
jrdunn96
pan58head
LiveWire64
richie61
JackeFriend
Russell
ditdater
the_surfing_guy
Rick's 66 Chevy Van
Marcosis
Tice84
vern01
Vanish
Seth G
66_Barracuda
deepott71
Digz
kookykrispy
samsvan
Vantastic
BvrWally
GMman
Vantasia
drc
savage
kaz
64chevy
NipRing
61econoline
Sy Hollinshead
Big W
scarlin
JAX
66mnecotruck
G-Man
SDEconoTruck
Nightmoves
Twinpilot001
Joe Van
wideload
Admin
VANagain
Space Truckin
vanny
dix
donivan65
61 posters

Dons day,,,,,,,

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Dons day,,,,,,, - Page 5 Empty Re: Dons day,,,,,,,

Post by donivan65 Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:27 am

So,,,,,,1/2 price day at Pik A Part,,,,,,,and when you go in there you got to pass the FORDS to get to the good stuff,,,,,,and what do I see,,,,a 1995 Taurus,,,,,,you know,,,the car fan that M1Dadio and Old Skool Vic cant stop talking about,,,,,,,so I undo 2 bolts, cut the wires and get me one,,,,,,(I better not be wasting my $14.99 on it),,,,,,so I get my other stuff and take it home to run some tests on it,,,,,,it is set up to PULL air through the radiator,,,,,I tested it as a PUSHER and it barely moves air,,,,,so it is set up to go behind the radiator but we surely don't have the room for it and you would need to set up a sensor to turn it on around 200 and off at 180 degrees,,,,so here is the test set up,,,,a jumper battery,,,,an ammeter to check the draw,,,,,a push button to run the fan....

Dons day,,,,,,, - Page 5 Dscn5023

Dons day,,,,,,, - Page 5 Dscn5021
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by Sy Hollinshead Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:36 am

How big a current can your ammeter measure....? Some only go up to 10 amps. That fan is probably way more than that and you might blow the ammeter...
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:44 am

here is the test,,,,,,TornadoFan,,,,,,the movie......

Dons day,,,,,,, - Page 5 Th_tornadofan_zpsea1a28e2
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Post by Sy Hollinshead Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:02 pm

Didn't realise that was a video. 15 amps isn't very much for a big fan, to me that would suggest that the motors on these aren't that powerful. The fans i had on my mustang with a 460 big block were pulling nearly 60 amps...!!!

So are people using these as puller fans then, instead of the mechanical fan...?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:28 pm

Hey Sy,,,,,,good to hear from the Motherland across the pond,,,,,so,,,,you want to talk amps,,,,,well you come to right guy,,,,because,,,,if anything,,,I am an Electrician,,,,,I have a digital ammeter that plugs into the fusebox and reads the current in the circuit,,,its rated at 30 amps with a 20 amp fuse in it for protection,,,,and we will verify the accuracy with a mechanical gauge,,,,so it is as I said,,,,like 15 amps at high speed,,,,8 amps at low,,,,,,to me, this fan is kind of useless as a puller behind the radiator,,,,,unless you modify the doghouse,,,,,however,,,I think I might modify it to fit on my bellypan to pull the air up to my radiator and replace my HamburgerFan.....this is a video...

Dons day,,,,,,, - Page 5 Th_TornadoFanAmps_zps8766c1f9
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Post by Sy Hollinshead Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:08 pm

Haha, i'm also an electrician...  Very Happy 

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:12 pm

Alive Current or Dead Current?
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Post by Sy Hollinshead Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:14 pm

I'm ACDC
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:31 pm

I only mess with 240 volts when I have to,,,,,,and my favorite Angus Young song would be " For those about to Rock. we salute you"   FIRE!

Dons day,,,,,,, - Page 5 House_10
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:44 pm

This is probably a silly question Don...But the taurus you grabbed this from...did it have a 3.8L engine with A/C? And did it have the 50 amp fuse/breaker plugged into the top of the fan. The one I have that seems to work quite well had that item from a taurus wagon with A/C 3.8L, but for the life of me I can't remember the year. I think it's from the late 80's, maybe even a 90 or 91. Just curious cus there are smaller taurus fans and I have one of those as well that doesn't draw the same air as my bigger one that i am using.

Sy....I'm using it as a puller fan just the way it came off the wagon behind a NEW 3 core radiator. The mechanical fan from the V8 has been removed.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:30 pm

There was something electrical bolted to the top of the shroud,,,,,I don't know what engine was in there,,,but it was a 1995 Taurus,,,,,this thing is a 15".....it pulls air really well, which means it has a lot of exhaust pressure,,,,,and that is what we use in my World,,,,,,,we force air up to the radiator to cool it, and the doghouse, down and force out the fumes,,,,,its just a helper fan to help out the waterpump fan,,,,,,and that does a good job on our Chevys,,,,,,
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:46 am

,,,,so you are saying not all Taurus fans are the same????
    Big W
    Big W

Post by Big W Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:08 am

Yes it appears there are different size fans through the years. What I have learned about them is through this site. I haven't really researched it too much. What I'm pretty sure of is that the best fans from Taurus have the 3.8L engines with A/C. And the best fan is from the lincoln, not sure what years though for getting the right size. Mine has the breaker/fuse or what ever it's called which is either 30 amp or 50 amp...I would have to go outside and look to be sure.Dons day,,,,,,, - Page 5 Taurus10
    This is one of the smaller ones.Dons day,,,,,,, - Page 5 Taurus11
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:25 am

One thing I see is number of blades,,,,mine has 8,,,,,,but with the low 15 amp draw and big airflow,,,,,,this seems like a good one rather than those Alleged 50 amp ones that need a 130 amp alternator to run it,,,,,,Is that a circuit breaker on the big fan,,,,,,mine dont have that,,,,,,looks like 3 of the mounting tabs are in different places.......

Dons day,,,,,,, - Page 5 Dscn5024
    Big W
    Big W

Post by Big W Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:48 am

My fan has 9 blades and the small one I have has 6. Yours has 8...lol...I think I will fire up the interweb and see just how many fans ford has and see if I can get as much info on them. I think M1 and Old skool will have more info. When the rain stops I will go take a pic of that fuse/breaker thing that came with mine.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:10 am

,,,sounds like a plan,,,,,,,I like information,,,,,,,you cant ever have enough,,,,,,,you never know what you will find out,,,,,,or learn,,,,looks like we got 3 different Taurus fans here,,,,,,,which is best,,,,,,or are there better ones,,,,,,but does anyone add one without major modification of their doghouse,,,,is there enough room to just take off the mechanical fan and put this in its place???
    Big W
    Big W

Post by Big W Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:04 pm

This is where I am at with the 350 with stock fan removed. It may be a little close, but so far so good. Tested under heavy breaking and motor and fan do not make contact. Now I can still lean the rad forward a bit to gain a little more room if needed. I am using the 240 rad recored to a 3 row and in its factory location. mounting this fan was a brease and only required shortening the shroud and making an angle iron support under neath and a flat strip up top to hold it to the rad. Again this is just mocked up and still need to finish the dog house.Dons day,,,,,,, - Page 5 Copy_o12Dons day,,,,,,, - Page 5 Mounti11Dons day,,,,,,, - Page 5 Fan_an11Dons day,,,,,,, - Page 5 Stock_11...Dog house is stock length and only modified for side pockets for more air flow.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:36 pm

but,,,,,,,,,would that fan fit in there with the normal 6 cylinder?
    Big W
    Big W

Post by Big W Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:12 pm

I'm not sure, as I nevered measured the distance between the 240 water pump and rad. If someone in here has the stock setup and is willing to go pick up a fan, and test this, we would know for sure. And putting a pusher on the front of the rad...I don't think that would work well as the space between the front of the rad and dog house is only about 5 inches at the top and 7ish at the bottom. So far for a pusher, your idea of the hamburger fan is the best I've seen. I think putting a fan on front of the rad would be too restrictive only because the fan shroud would block some of the air flow. Unless a tunnel was fabricated.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:52 pm

,,,putting a pusher fan on the front of the radiator is definitely out,,,,,,no room, restricts the air and not very efficient,,,,,,and I doubt a 6 cylinder has enough room between the waterpump and radiator,,,,,but lets see what people say,,,,,,,I still need to be Skooled on those wonderful 130 amp 3G alternators that they say charge even when the engine is not running or something,,,,,,,like, is the whole G1-3 alternator family all internal regulated, where do they pick up the sensing voltage,,,,,,do they come in one V belt pulleys,,,,can a 1 belt pulley turn them,,,,,or are they double belt or serpentine systems,,,,,have you run an amperage test on your two fans to see what they draw????
    Big W
    Big W

Post by Big W Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:18 pm

No amp test yet, as I am not sure how to do that, or what equipment would be needed to do an amp test.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:49 pm

,,you need an Ammeter like the two I used in my video to measure the amount of current that a fan uses while running,,,,,you just put it in a line and it shows what is flowing through it,,,,,Sy says his Ford took almost 60 amps to run it,,,,,and Vic probably says 37 amps,,,,,that is really using up a lot of juice,,,,,,the van might not even start if you left the fan on too long to cool down the radiator.....
    Big W
    Big W

Post by Big W Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:40 pm

I will have to pick up an ammeter next week or borrow one and see what mine is drawing. Can't get your video to run but I get the idea of how you explained it by putting it inline. I presume you put it on the positive wire?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:04 pm

An Ammeter goes in a line,,,,,dont matter which one,,,,,just tells you how much juice is going through that wire,,,,,,,you NEVER want to hook it between Positive and Negative,,,,,,you could have 800 amps going through it if you connect it to a car battery that way,,,,,,bad stuff WILL happen,,,,,,now in my pictures here,,,,I got an old car ammeter,,,,put some wires and alligator clips on it and hook it between a wire,,,or,,,I gots me a fancy digital one,,,,,made to plug into a fuse box to see what is blowing fuses,  and I did the same thing to it,,,,some wires and alligator clips so I can test what is going through a wire  while the equipment is running.......

Dons day,,,,,,, - Page 5 Dscn5025

Dons day,,,,,,, - Page 5 Dscn5026
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:11 pm

Dons day,,,,,,, - Page 5 Dscn5027

Sponsored content