VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+7
RipVanArkie
vanny
Twinpilot001
donivan65
HandiVanMan
savage
SportVan
11 posters

I need to upgrade the rear end of my 1965 Chevy Deluxe Sportvan Help

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

I need to upgrade the rear end of my 1965 Chevy Deluxe Sportvan Help - Page 2 Empty Re: I need to upgrade the rear end of my 1965 Chevy Deluxe Sportvan Help

Post by donivan65 Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:35 am

Here you go,,,,,,take over,,,,,,log in and start it going,,,,,,,picture uploading is WAY EASIER than in the forum

http://vintage-vans.smugmug.com/Vans/SportVans-1965-Chevy-SportVan/30092496_BCnWxc
    SportVan
    SportVan

Number of posts : 44
    Registration date : 2013-06-13

I need to upgrade the rear end of my 1965 Chevy Deluxe Sportvan Help - Page 2 Empty Re: I need to upgrade the rear end of my 1965 Chevy Deluxe Sportvan Help

Post by SportVan Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:44 am

Thank You donivan65!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:21 am

I know stuff about I-44 in Springfield, Missouri,,,,,,,I met Larry at his HotRod shop at exit 129 in 2007,,,,I stay at the rest stop on my way back from Chicago,,,,,,,,,,on May 20 the rain and wind was so bad that I thought someone was running into to me while sleeping there,,,,,and then later on in Oklahoma City,,,,things really got worst,,,,,,,

I need to upgrade the rear end of my 1965 Chevy Deluxe Sportvan Help - Page 2 Larrys10

I need to upgrade the rear end of my 1965 Chevy Deluxe Sportvan Help - Page 2 Vacat133
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:41 pm

So RIP,,,,,,,,,how wide is a 2nd Gen perch,,,,,,,,my 1st Gen is 2 1/16",,,,,,but it dont really matter,,,,,perches have nothing to do with the rear U bolts or springs anyways......

I need to upgrade the rear end of my 1965 Chevy Deluxe Sportvan Help - Page 2 Repair55
    SportVan
    SportVan

Post by SportVan Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:49 pm

Thanks To Donivan65 for fixing my Photo Gallery for me.  It's not very pretty right now, but it has potential. I like the original interior. I plan to clean it up nice after the mechanical stuff is done and she's painted. Right now I know fersure the rear end needs replaced/rebuilt and the automatic transmission probably needs overhauled. It's leaking pretty bad and Kchunks when it slows down to 5mph. It has it's quirks, but has potential. Thanks to my new friends for caring! You can vist my Sportvans 1965 Chevy Sportvan Deluxe Gallery. Cya!

http://vintage-vans.smugmug.com/Vans/SportVans-1965-Chevy-SportVan/30092496_BCnWxc#!i=2589488796&k=zqvg8WG
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:20 pm

You got some rare parts on that van,,,,,,can you see the road when you lift up the front floor mat?
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Post by HandiVanMan Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:21 pm

Great looking little van! Love the interior! Most definitely a lot of Rare Parts on it! Get all of the mechanical issues fixed & paint it & you will be on your way.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:36 pm

PowerGlides,,,,,,,,,,they sure leak,,,,,,,but check where,,,,,you can fix most of it,,,,,check the dipstick tube, selector shaft, rear seal,,,,pan gasket and modulator,,,,,if it is coming out of the bellhousing it is the front pump o ring and input shaft seal,,,,,,check the kick down linkage and its adjustment to get the trans to downshift better......

I need to upgrade the rear end of my 1965 Chevy Deluxe Sportvan Help - Page 2 Nodoor34
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:03 am

SportVan, I can see why you fell in love with it! Interior is Superior! Undercarriage looks solid. Once the panels have been replaced and it's running smooth, that's gonna be one Really Sharp looking ride. Congrats and welcome. There is a great knowledge base here that is more than willing to assist with advice!

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:31 am

Very nice van, interior almost new looking
    SportVan
    SportVan

Post by SportVan Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:32 am

Hey DonniVan65, Thak You for the compliments. Aside from exterior rust you see and some minor holes behind each wheelwell (mostly driver rear by fuel tube) there's limited rust andno holes anywhere else. I appreciate your assistance on the powerglide. I see you have a couple powerglides, NICE! I have a friend in Baraboo, WI that sold his 64 Malibu and has 2 powerglides he's gonna GIVE me. I understand they are quite popular/sought after with/by Racers.
    SportVan
    SportVan

Post by SportVan Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:47 am

Hey HandivanMan, Thanks for the Compliments. As far as the rust and paint. I have a bid from "Fine Rides" for $1625 to fix dents in side doors, cut out rust and weld new metal (guy has a sheet metal bender), body work, mask and prep, prime and single stage gray or silver Urathan paint. Although repaining it original would be nice, I think Gray/Silver will match interior and will "POP" better. I still have time to make that decision. I'll probably pay another $125 to spray door jams and buff. Nice price huh? What does anyone think about medium gray or silver?
    SportVan
    SportVan

Post by SportVan Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:51 am

Hey G-Man and Vanny. Thanks for the compliments and aside from it's issues I DO LOVE THIS VAN! I also love that I can get been there, done that, good, reliable info from my new Friends. Thanks, you're appreciated!
    SportVan
    SportVan

Post by SportVan Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:57 am

I posted a photo in my Gallery of what I'd like it to look like when I'm Finished. It will more than likely have Crager SSs and Michelins
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:32 am

If you use a CAR Powerglide, you will need to build a crossmember for it since VAN transmissions hang from the floor.......and other transmissions fit our vans,,,,,,,,

I need to upgrade the rear end of my 1965 Chevy Deluxe Sportvan Help - Page 2 Transf10
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Post by HandiVanMan Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:46 am

With the dash being kinda a light gold color I would think that maybe it was maybe that color from the factory. I think that someone repainted it the blue & white combo.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:54 am

If you want to see van colors,,,,,,go back to page 3 to the old General posts and more to see the different colors our vans are,,,,,,,here is the Blue ones,,,,,,there are more colors,,,,,

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t25915-show-us-your-blue-early
    SportVan
    SportVan

Post by SportVan Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:19 am

Donivan65, I sure appreciate your knowledge/insight and photos. I ASSumed one powerglide fit all. Thanks for the color info too. Yer appreciated buddy!
    SportVan
    SportVan

Post by SportVan Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:26 am

Thanks HandiVanMan, Good Insight and Correct! Got to looking at it, and saw overspray on the chrome and on the rubber around the door hinges. I guess someone wanted it to look like the van on a factory brochure. The paint on the front is pretty thin and looks almost a rust color. Took a razor blade and romoved some paint, but couldn't find anything other than a rust/red color. If you looked at my "Gallery" photos, I'm sure I'll paint it gray like photo 13. Someone described the interior as a "Fawn" color sorta tan, but yet it goes well with gray too. To be decided....
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Post by Joe Van Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:37 pm

HEY Sportsvan that Van in photo #13 is SUPER SHARP and is one of my favorite Van's. I think Your VAN would look AWESOME that Grey/Silver and would match the interior also.Smile.....
    SportVan
    SportVan

Post by SportVan Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:54 pm

Thanks Joe Van, that's what Ima Thinkin too. Your's looks pretty sharp! Nice Lookin Ride. Do you see many of those where you live?
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by Joe Van Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:21 am

THANKS Sportsvan There is only 6 Earleys in my area Including mine 2- A100 pickups 1- A100 van 1-64 GMC panel my 66 GMC panel and a 65 Chevy sports van that a local Air Brusher owns and he is in the process of getting it on the road.There also is 2-2nd GEN Chevys also but are for sale so I did not count them I have also seen a 60's Ford van twice at some of the bigger car shows that is set up as a gasser.but never got to talk to the owner..cheers...JOE...
    SportVan
    SportVan

Post by SportVan Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:13 am

Wow, that's alot of em. Except for the Names, I'm guessing a 66 GMC HandiVan is basically identical to a 66 Chevy SortVan, right? Do you (OR ANYONE ELSE) know if you can tow an automatic in neutral, or do you have to disconnect the drive shaft to keep from screwing stuff up?
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by Joe Van Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:10 am

THE bodys are the same one is a panel van and one is a window van and one is Chevy and the other GMC. Just to be safe I would take the driveshaft out unless you are only towing it down the street.
    SportVan
    SportVan

Post by SportVan Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:37 am

Figured that was the answer on both counts,  Just wanted to make sure. Thanks!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 11:51 am