VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+7
RipVanArkie
vanny
Twinpilot001
donivan65
HandiVanMan
savage
SportVan
11 posters

I need to upgrade the rear end of my 1965 Chevy Deluxe Sportvan Help

SportVan
    SportVan

Number of posts : 44
    Registration date : 2013-06-13

I need to upgrade the rear end of my 1965 Chevy Deluxe Sportvan Help Empty I need to upgrade the rear end of my 1965 Chevy Deluxe Sportvan Help

Post by SportVan Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:09 am

Hello, I just bought a 65 Chevy Sportvan Deluxe and found water in the rear end, gouged axles, ruined outer bearings, pitted ring and pinion gears, rusted carrier bolts, assumed inner bearings need replaced and normal spider gear wear. Surprise! Naturally, I want to fixerup and save her. Even though she has rust all around her, and the original 230 - 2 speed powerglide both leak, the engine starts every time and runs good for 131K miles AND I want to keep her. The interchange bible says only a 65/66 rear end will swap out, bolt for bolt.

Now, I know that is relative to hoses and things that can be overcome with a few modifications. I have found a another "65" rear end for $957 delivered, but damn, there's gotta be a cheaper way to swap out and upgrade. That is where I need your help! Any ideas? I currently have the 10 bolt, 8.2, 3.36, but the guy that inspected it forgot to count axel and pinion splines although he said the pinion measured 16". That and brake drum dustcover to dustcover is 57 3/4"; inside leaf spring to other inside leaf spring is 48 1/4"; front of housing where it meets with yoke to the rear of transmission is 28 5/8", rear cover plate to front of housing where it meets with yoke holding u-joints is 11 1/4" is about all I know. Sorry I don't have flange to flange measurements. I don't know whether to try and find new guts or upgrade with a more modern rear end. Strictly for car shows and ocassional highway use for camping/vacations. No heavy loads so 3.08 or 3.36 works for me. I wouldn't object to changing the entire drive line to V8 if that solves my problem. What would you do?

That of course is relative to money. Now here's where you probably think I'm crazy! I spent $3500 to purchase it. I have an quote to repair sheet metal and single stage urathan paint job and buff for $1700 and have another $1000 set aside for Crager SSs and Michelins and probably another $1500 for the rear end and installation. That's $8K and counting. Yet, that's really not that much when you consider how few Deluxe Sportvans with good headliner, side panels, chrome steering wheel ring, visors, passener side seat, chrome bumpers, chrome hub caps and nothing missing and everything works, is it?

I love my van and don't mind investing in my lil classic, but I'm lost regarding the critical aspect of the rear end. I could probably bandaid it with new outer bearings and axle extenders, but would rather have a more permanent fix. HELP, What would you do and am I crazy to invest this much in the ole girl? Thank You so very much. I need guidance and your assistance, please and Thank You!
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

I need to upgrade the rear end of my 1965 Chevy Deluxe Sportvan Help Empty Re: I need to upgrade the rear end of my 1965 Chevy Deluxe Sportvan Help

Post by savage Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:36 am

SV, You should post some pic of your van. I don't think your Crazy. Got 7 early Chevys so far:shock:  Not sure what I got in them, on the 3rd re build.  You'll probably never get what you put in it back ,but (like my Dad said)if you enjoy it it doesn't matter (I'm a single guy)  Which Sprigfield (OR,CA,IN,OH,MI) are you near
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

I need to upgrade the rear end of my 1965 Chevy Deluxe Sportvan Help Empty Re: I need to upgrade the rear end of my 1965 Chevy Deluxe Sportvan Help

Post by HandiVanMan Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:49 am

Be careful of buying one that you can not inspect! Thats like buying a pig in a poke. It will pay to wait for one close to you that you can check out in person. Check out this post & you can see what buying one sight unseen can get you.......
    https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t34540-shipping-a-rear-end
    SportVan
    SportVan

Post by SportVan Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:54 am

I haven't posted photos because I almost sold it yesterday. Been very frustrated over this dilema. I'm in Springfield, MO (sorry bout that) Thanks for the link, will check it out. I had a 66 Chevy Sportvan in the 80s and LOVED it. Want to keep this one, just frustrated at the moment. Will work on photos. Was also waiting to show before and after. Can I add the after photos if I post some now. I hate being clueless, sorry!
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Post by HandiVanMan Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:02 am

Yes you can start a gallery and add pics to it anytime. Don't get frustrated & give up if you enjoy van then it's worth fixing it.
    SportVan
    SportVan

Post by SportVan Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:11 am

Thank You HandiVanMan!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:29 am

Once upon a time,,,,,,,,I put  a 1st Gen rear end  (1964 to 1966) and a 2nd Gen,   (1967 to 70) next to each other and they sure look the same to me,,,,,,2nd Gens might have a little wider spring perch, but that dont matter,,,,,,,the only difference seems to be what ratio is in those rear ends,,,,,they come with 3:36,  3:73  or 4:11 and can be positraction ......

I need to upgrade the rear end of my 1965 Chevy Deluxe Sportvan Help Repair52

I need to upgrade the rear end of my 1965 Chevy Deluxe Sportvan Help Repair53

I need to upgrade the rear end of my 1965 Chevy Deluxe Sportvan Help Repair54
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:46 pm

for those of us that do not know???? if you will look closely @ the above picx posted= you will se some ID info thats usually always stamped on the top passenger side  rear end tubes!!cheers    yet that will not give you the actual gear ratios!! you must look & count the teeth on ring & pinion gear sets! You can also  get close on ratios by turning the  pinion geAR & COUNTING THE REVEOLUTIONS THE ACTUAL AXLE IS MAKING IN 1 TURN OF THE PINION.  be sure  to mark both!!
    SportVan
    SportVan

Post by SportVan Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:28 pm

WOW Donivan, What an extremely helpful post! Unless someone knows any reason not to use a 2nd Gen rear end, you may have answered my dilema! Thank You so very much!
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:34 pm

Welcome aboard SportVan! Thanks for saving another Gem! As you've already seen, people on this site live for this stuff! We all share the same disease to draws us to these gems. You've come to the right place for lots of helpful advice, pictures and comradery! Pics are always helpful when describing issues, etc, so that people can see what you're dealing with.

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    SportVan
    SportVan

Post by SportVan Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:46 pm

Thanks to my Ford Cousin Vanny! She's looking purty ugly right about now verses purty.
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:00 pm

Nothing a little time and money can't take care of! LOL Actually, that van in my avatar is my ride I had in the 80's and sold in the 90's. Now I'm squirrelling money to buy another. Seems like once you've owned one, you never forget that feeling of these vintage vans! I've got a soft spot for the Fords cause that was my baby but since I've been on this site, I've been eyeballing the Dodges and Chevys as well. Leaning towards the window vans.  SportVan, Falcon or Sportsman? Tough decision! Time will tell!

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    SportVan
    SportVan

Post by SportVan Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:09 pm

Good Luck in your search Vanny. My shadetree mechanic friend told me about a 66 Chevy panel van just this evening. It was parked behind his trailer, expired plates and junk stored in it.  I left my name and number. Maybe I'll get lucky!!!  I also ran across two corvair panel vans that look pretty decent, at least from a distance. I also know of an older dodge van that has been sitting in the same field that I know of for three years and more than likely 10 plus more. Don't know much about it, but it's only a phone call to my friend if interested? The 66 Chevy looks to be mostly there, with cracked windshield and thick, cracked bondo on the right rear qtr, but I'm eyeballing it for the rear end and a few odds and ends I need. Again, maybe I'll get lucky! Wish me luck!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:17 pm

The only thing that counts in my book is the number of bolts on the rear end cover,,,,,if it is 10, the ratio is 3:36,,,,,,if it is 12,,,,,,don't bother counting anymore,,,,,they are the low geared 3:73 and 4:11 ratios,,,,,,,,
    SportVan
    SportVan

Post by SportVan Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:42 pm

Thanks Donivan65!
    SportVan
    SportVan

Post by SportVan Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:45 pm

MAJOR BUMMER! I jinxed myself talking about that 66 Chevy Sportvan. I just talked with the guy and he doesn't wanna sell it! Boo Hoo - My 65 is still looking for a rear end.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:19 pm

1st thing,,,,,you will probably get more peoples attention on van parts if you go up to PROFILE and put down your location,,,,,,,,
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Post by HandiVanMan Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:36 am

Yes Donivan65 is right that you should change your location. There maybe a fellow Vanner in the town that you live in or near by that has a rear end they would sell you. There are a lot of Springfields in the USA.
    SportVan
    SportVan

Post by SportVan Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:07 am

OkeeDokee, DONE! Silly me, I was thinking people would respond to my need based on request verses where I live. Here's hoping you guys are right. Either way it is done and is a good manner of introduction. Thanks! Now if anyone can help me, I have a full tank of gas and time to come visit ya! Now if I can only get logged in to post photos. Tried loggin in  - vintage-vans - imamember - even said "Open Sesame" and it still wouldn't open. Stay tuned....
    SportVan
    SportVan

Post by SportVan Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:55 am

Rather than worryin about someone replacing a rear end with the wrong pitch/angle -I'm told by QP Racing (Ebay Seller) that I can have a New GM 8.2" Posi Unit - 28 Spline - Eaton-Style (clutch) Posi Unit - Fits 3.08 & Numerically Higher Gear Ratios - Nodular Iron Casing - Heavy Duty Composite Clutches & Forged 4130 Internals that includes Ring & Pinion and Master Bearing Installation Kit for $605 (shipping included) and new 28 spline axles for $250 delivered. A bit pricy, but at least I'll have everything brand new. Apart from the price, anyone see anything wrong with this approach to resolve my problem?
    RipVanArkie
    RipVanArkie

Number of posts : 987
    Registration date : 2008-05-13

Post by RipVanArkie Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:13 am

SportVan, I have two rearends (2nd gen) sitting at my shop.  I'll check the ratios and get back to you, unless it doesnt matter to you.  The ring gears have the tooth count for ring and pinion stamped in them, you can remove your cover and rotate the wheel till you see the numbers.  Divide the smaller into the larger number and you have your ratio.

Later,
    Rip
    SportVan
    SportVan

Post by SportVan Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:02 am

NICE! Thanks RipVanArkie - DoniVan65 thinks the 2nd Gen should bolt right in, with slight perch adjustment. What do you think? I currently have a 3.36 in mine. I need the axles too. You can message me phone number if you want. Has the rear end been overhauled or what condition is it in? Thanks!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:09 am

Here is what the 10 bolt 3:36 ratio looks like,11-37,,,,,them others say 11-41 and 9-37

I need to upgrade the rear end of my 1965 Chevy Deluxe Sportvan Help 336_ri11
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:14 am

I will start  an album up in the Gallery with your name on it if if want,,,,,,,
    SportVan
    SportVan

Post by SportVan Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:27 am

I would like that because I sure wasn't successful gettin it to work. Thanks Donivan65

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:57 am