VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+12
m1dadio
Monkeykongking
kookykrispy
Leftcoast65
BILLS66
ScottyJones
sandyvan
vanner68
BvrWally
mbasaraba
donivan65
ditdater
16 posters

1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED

m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE  CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED - Page 3 Empty Re: 1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED

Post by m1dadio Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:42 pm

Dons recommendations are spot on for re-lining and converting to a duel circuit drum/drum system.

I totally support any person NOT doing something they know is outside of their ability, That is a higher level of professionalism respected and honored in the work I do.

The instructions I provide are for converting the FRONT AXLE to disc brakes. All the other information on my instructions is just "help full information" that is "general" and covers all G vans from 64 to 70. Since there is a million and a half differences, "depending on what you plan to do with your van". I do not plan for anybody else, the installer is responsible o know what they are embarking onto for the rest of whatever it is they are planning for their brakes.
    Figuring out which master cylinder and valves you need is the ("you have to do some research on and know what your getting into") part. If you have specific questions about which master cylinder or which valves to use for what you are building you can always email me and I will help you out.

Also said "there is no out of the box bolt on kit" .

My instructions do not talk about or quote anything on brake lines or fittings. I figure that to be so extremely simple it is four notches lower then basic, if one can't deal with connecting up brake lines on their own; then modifying and customizing their brake system is something they need to hire experienced help with.

Residual vales are best connected right off the master cylinder ports before all else.

Which line the front or rear circuit connects to on your master cylinder is something you need to figure out. There is definitly a correct way to connect them and master cylinders are not all the same. If you don't know you have a 50% chance of getting it wrong.

When it comes to line fitting sizes you can get lines with different size nuts on them or you can get step up and step down adapters that are actually quite common and come with new or rebuilt master cylinders other then the cheapest master cylinders.They are common because several different cars might use the same master but some use one size while others use another size line nut. You can see those addapters used here (two different ones on the same master). No i don't remember the part number but any parts guy older the 19 should be able to get it for you if you tell him what sizes you need to adapt. They have an inverted flare cut into one end so they thread directly to the master cylinder.

1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE  CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED - Page 3 00210
    1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE  CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED - Page 3 Dscn0910
    I am very curios Matt, what master cylinder and proportioning valve did you buy?

M1D
    ditdater
    ditdater

Number of posts : 590
    Registration date : 2010-11-06

1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE  CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED - Page 3 Empty still looking

Post by ditdater Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:12 pm

am not in a hurry, but anyone thats done this ,interested in pricing this job ,somewhere close to lou. ky. , in nashville ,cincy , indy area , where i could drive van to you on a fri-sat,o r sun -mon, and help throw wrenches , give me a holler. danny 502 432 3684
    sandyvan
    sandyvan

Number of posts : 526
    Registration date : 2011-03-13

1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE  CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED - Page 3 Empty Re: 1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED

Post by sandyvan Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:45 am

I hear you Ditdater. This needs to be my next project but I am wary of doing it by myself. I can take everything apart, and probably install the new dual MC, and put the lines in place, but will need help making sure everything went together correctly, is sealed etc. And it's been decades since a friend showed me how to bleed brake lines. Also, I have a sway bar so I will need help with fabricating the spacers for that. I'm building more confidence with each project I complete but like Don says, brakes are pretty significant.
    ditdater
    ditdater

Number of posts : 590
    Registration date : 2010-11-06

1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE  CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED - Page 3 Empty yep,

Post by ditdater Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:06 pm

God has blessed me some gifts , and the mr goodwrench gift arent one i believe,but again , i can throw a 1/2 inch wrench on demand when asked !

Philippians 1;6
    being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

Leftcoast65
    Leftcoast65

Number of posts : 77
    Registration date : 2011-08-27

1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE  CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED - Page 3 Empty Brakes

Post by Leftcoast65 Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:44 pm

sandyvan wrote:I hear you Ditdater. This needs to be my next project but I am wary of doing it by myself. I can take everything apart, and probably install the new dual MC, and put the lines in place, but will need help making sure everything went together correctly, is sealed etc. And it's been decades since a friend showed me how to bleed brake lines. Also, I have a sway bar so I will need help with fabricating the spacers for that. I'm building more confidence with each project I complete but like Don says, brakes are pretty significant.

sandyvan: Let me know when you want to do them and I will help you out!

Wish you were closer Ditdater . . . Someone here or over @ VCVC.Org will help out.
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE  CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED - Page 3 Empty Duel master conversion

Post by Joe Van Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:25 am

Awesome pictures and info I am getting ready to do the conversion too I have the master out cutting the bracket is no problem but I see a big problem with my sway bar. I cant move the bar forward because its too close to the radiator and making the a drop down spacer it is still in the way the only way I see it working is put the sway bar behind the radiator? instead of in front OR do away with it all together since the plan is making a gasser with the 4 inch re arched springs and the front sitting so high you almost need a sway bar I don't want to leave the bar off but I also don't want to use the single master either.Any info or pictures of a modified sway bar bracket left side would be highly appreciated since I am in the middle of this project. ...........THANKS....JOE VAN.........
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:32 am

Joe , I made up 2" spacers out of aluminum blocks. cleared everything ok? I got a hold of some longer SB links no problem . I shot for a 2 over arch is all tho. What are you running into that spacers won't clear OK?
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE  CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED - Page 3 Empty SWAY BAR ISSUE?

Post by Joe Van Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:03 am

The problem I am having is the duel master cly is hitting the sway bar I have seen your pictures I will try to find it and study it better the master looks the same as donivans and his is above the sway bar mounting bolts unless I have a after market sway bar???? but the mounting place should be the same THANKS..........I looked closer at donivans and your right I think the 2 inch spacer will work thanks again back to the garage.........................

Last edited by joe argana on Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:19 am

2" of spacer and 2" longer bolts is the way to go

1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE  CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED - Page 3 11_16_10

1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE  CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED - Page 3 M1d10[img][/img]
    sandyvan
    sandyvan

Post by sandyvan Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:47 pm

Leftcoast65 wrote:

sandyvan: Let me know when you want to do them and I will help you out!

I will take you up on that!
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE  CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED - Page 3 Empty duel master conversion

Post by Joe Van Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:01 pm

THANKS you guys were right I dropped the sway bar down 2 inches and it went right in I guess that spending too much time in the garage will keep you from thinking straight the pictures tell a thousand words...................
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE  CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED - Page 3 Empty Duel brake conversion

Post by Joe Van Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:13 am

This is a fairly easy conversion and well needed for someone who has a single master and some mechanial abitily I own a brake and tire shop here in Florida est in 1987 I have had many people that try to save money witch is understandable but when it comes to your brakes leave it to the someone with experence you can do more harm than good if you have no mechanical ability just like I would not attempt to paint a van becuase I am not a painter. Do not be to proud or afraid to ask a professional the life you save might be your own.I brought my 1975 chevy van STOW-A-WAY to a car show this weekend and won peoples choice chalk one up for vans...my friend has a 61 bel-air wagon that has a single master he told me the fun ride he had when the brakes went to the floor advoided 3 cars and wound up in the bushes my other friend said last week his wife ran in the back of his 47 ford pick up with his 48 ford pickup also with single masters when the pedal went to the floor needless to say saturday I pulled the singel master off.
    Ctjeff
    Ctjeff

Number of posts : 16
    Registration date : 2013-04-10

Post by Ctjeff Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:16 pm

Fantastic post donivan, thanks for taking the time to diagram the plumbing and take pics. You have made it crystal clear. I think I am going to try the copper/ nickel lines and cut and flare to fit.
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Number of posts : 823
    Registration date : 2009-01-08

Post by mbasaraba Sat May 25, 2013 6:23 am

Is there a part number for the rear rubber hose? I called Advanced and they say it shows 2 for the rear, both same part number but they are discontinued. Is this just a generic rubber line?

I also have a broken spring, the bottom one that goes between the 2 shoes. Is there a replacement for these? I am having no luck with any of the parts stores around here.
    SteelyVan
    SteelyVan

Number of posts : 112
    Registration date : 2009-08-14

Post by SteelyVan Sat May 25, 2013 7:43 am

Check out RockAuto. I've had good luck with them.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1371965&cc=1310303

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=304343&cc=1310303

PS You can use their Manufacturer Parts #'s for cross reference @ parts store counter.
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Sat May 25, 2013 9:28 am

Thanks for the part numbers. Got the spring kits but the hose a no go. Will order from link.

Should be noted that with the steel lines listed I needed an adapter. The steel lines are 1/8 males and the hose is a 1/4 female.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sat May 25, 2013 1:26 pm

I am thinking that the 1st Gen Sportvans, or at least the 66's, use a 2nd Gen brake hose at the rear axle and the new 3/8-24 brake line won't screw into it,,,,,so it needs an adapter to to connect it to the 7/16-24 brake hose,,,,,,,

1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE  CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED - Page 3 Rear_b11
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Sat May 25, 2013 2:30 pm

My 66 is a smorgasbord of both gens. Lol
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat May 25, 2013 3:00 pm

There is always something new showing up with these vans,,,,,but we are keeping track of what we find,,,,,,
    sandyvan
    sandyvan

Post by sandyvan Sat May 25, 2013 3:20 pm

donivan65 wrote:I am thinking that the 1st Gen Sportvans, or at least the 66's, use a 2nd Gen brake hose at the rear axle and the new 3/8-24 brake line won't screw into it,,,,,so it needs an adapter to to connect it to the 7/16-24 brake hose,,,,,,,

1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE  CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED - Page 3 Rear_b11

Yes, I got that part at CarQuest, but I'm sure others carry it. My 66 Sportvan (Deluxe!) had a larger line in between the PS Tee and the single rubber line in the rear. No matter what you do, don't mess up or lose the rear Tee!!

This is what mine WAS before the upgrade, now it's all lines from Don's diagram/parts list, except that adapter for the rear brake hose. I got the hoses from O'Reilly, and as far as I could tell, late 50's thru early 60's pickups had the same setup in the rear. O'Reilly has been pretty good at having a correct part when I key in a 66 G10.

1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE  CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED - Page 3 Original66sportvansetup_zps84f63d57
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat May 25, 2013 4:07 pm

I would say #3 T is 7/16-20,,,,,and both hoses are 7/16-20 outlets,,,,,HOWEVER,,,,,,the inlets are different and you use the adapter if you got that 7/16-24 inlet on your hose,,,,,,

1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE  CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED - Page 3 Rbh10

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 3:51 am