VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+12
m1dadio
Monkeykongking
kookykrispy
Leftcoast65
BILLS66
ScottyJones
sandyvan
vanner68
BvrWally
mbasaraba
donivan65
ditdater
16 posters

1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED

ditdater
    ditdater

Number of posts : 590
    Registration date : 2010-11-06

1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE  CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED Empty 1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED

Post by ditdater Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:18 pm

NOT BEING A MECHANIC ,AM SERIUOSLY STARTING TO LOOK FOR A EARLY VAN OWNER IN LOUISVILLE , CINCY, INDY AREA (I AM IN LOU. KY.) TO DO A DUEL MASTER CYLINDER CONVER. TO MY ORIG.(NOT CHOPPED UP)65 G10 .AGAIN NOT A MECH BUT CAN HELP THROW SOME WRENCHES AROUND . WOULD RATHER PAY SOMEONE THAT ACTUALLY KNOWS THESE VANS AND THE PROCEDURE, THAN JUST ANY MECH. ,. AM WILLING TO DRIVE UP TO AREA LISTED ABOVE ON A WEEKEND OR MAYBE POSS. WEEKDAY. ANYONE INTERESTED HOLLER ANYTIME , DANNY 502 432 3684

---------------------------------------Now there was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews. This man came to Jesus by night and said to him, “Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher come from God, for no one can do these signs that you do unless God is with him.” Jesus answered him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.” Nicodemus said to him, “How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born?” Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. JOHN 3;15

-----------------------------------------------------------[
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE  CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED Empty Re: 1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED

Post by donivan65 Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:53 pm

The whole plan is that you don't want to be driving with 45 year old metal brake lines and the 1 line master cylinder,so you buy new ones,,,,and while you are at it, use a 2nd Gen 2 line master cylinder,,,and instead of hooking the rear brake line to the right front wheel cylinder, hook it up to that other port on the master cylinder,,,,,,

1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE  CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED Brake_15
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Number of posts : 823
    Registration date : 2009-01-08

1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE  CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED Empty Re: 1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED

Post by mbasaraba Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:54 am

I am in Northern Alabama but that might be too far for you, its like a 6 or 7 hour drive. Really it shouldnt be that hard and need a "Mechanic" to do it. The only real custom part is cutting out the piece behind the original master and though it make take some time it can be done with a side grinder or hacksaw.

Don, what proportion valve needs to be used with this or is that only when doing disc in the front and drum remaining in the back?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:00 am

Since Disk calipers and drum wheel cylinders run on different pressures,you need a proportioning valve to send the correct pressure to each system if you got both type of systems on so the brakes all stop at the same time,,,,,,so you add an adjustable one in the rear line to slow down the rear drums so that the front disks can catch up,,,,,,,if you have all drums,,,,or all disks,,,,,,you don't need one,,,,,,
    BvrWally
    BvrWally

Number of posts : 946
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by BvrWally Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:03 am

The "Scored" area is what needs to be cut out!
    1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE  CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED Bracketthatneedsremoved
    Being that my image is too large, here is a direct link to the pic:
    https://2img.net/h/i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd191/BvrWally2/Front%20Disc%20Brakes/Bracketthatneedsremoved.jpg
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:11 am

donivan65 wrote:Since Disk calipers and drum wheel cylinders run on different pressures,you need a proportioning valve to send the correct pressure to each system if you got both type of systems on so the brakes all stop at the same time,,,,,,so you add an adjustable one in the rear line to slow down the rear drums so that the front disks can catch up,,,,,,,if you have all drums,,,,or all disks,,,,,,you don't need one,,,,,,

Is there a certain year/model that I should ask about? Or are they generic? Again, something I think should be on the disc brake conversion parts list.
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:14 am

Maybe when I cut mine out and I can just send you the piece so you can draw it on your own bracket and cut that chunk out? The rest should be cake.
    BvrWally
    BvrWally

Number of posts : 946
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by BvrWally Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:17 am

I used a '68 Vette M/C Disc/Disc...being I have them all around!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:29 am

There is not much to cutting out the back end to make the longer 2 line master cylinder fit,,,,,just take the round one out and cut enough so the longer one slides in from the rear

1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE  CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED M_cyl_11

1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE  CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED Repai105
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:31 am

1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE  CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED Nodoor97
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:56 pm

1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE  CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED Repai106

1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE  CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED Repai107

1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE  CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED Repai108

1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE  CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED Repai109
    ditdater
    ditdater

Post by ditdater Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:43 pm

Thanks to all , for the informative replies and pics . i still could screw some easy mechanical tasks pretty quickly . and as such an important thing as brakes , as mentioned earlier i can throw fetch some wrenches pretty good ,so i/ll wait around a bit longer (and put the funds away for paying someone to and parts money also) till someone fairly close that i can drive to has the time .
    vanner68
    vanner68

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2008-09-22

Post by vanner68 Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:48 pm

A man's gotta know his limitations....
    sandyvan
    sandyvan

Number of posts : 526
    Registration date : 2011-03-13

Post by sandyvan Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:44 pm

I plan on doing this as soon as I can get to it, and share your apprehension at messing with something as critical as brakes. But I can cut the bracket, remove all the old lines, buy the parts, probably install the new MC, make it easy for a mechanic to install fine tune the rest of it.

So dumb question - with the new dual MC the round access hole in the floor is still large enough work with?
    ScottyJones
    ScottyJones

Number of posts : 361
    Registration date : 2011-08-17

Post by ScottyJones Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:01 pm

It still works, I use a small funnel so Im not spilling brake fluid all over the place.
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:12 am

A couple things that I found made it a bit easier. Instead of pulling the whole bracket with the MC out I cut the back side out with a Saws-all then pulled the single MC out easily. I just slid the blade beside the single MC and cut back as even with the inner edge as I could.

Make sure to use some kind of penetrating oil on the bolts on the MC not just when taking them out but a good dose when putting them in or get new ones. Breaking one off would really suck where it is at.

Use a scotchbright or fine emery to smooth the rod that goes into the MC if it is rough and put a little fluid/oil on the rod to slide it into the new boot.

Just a few things I noted while installing mine that are better to know before than after...
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:56 am

The bracket is part of the body,,,,you would never get it out without destroying the van,,,,you just reach up there after you take the old master cylinder out and open up the hole in back towards the radiator,,,,,,
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:21 am

donivan65 wrote:The bracket is part of the body,,,,you would never get it out without destroying the van,,,,you just reach up there after you take the old master cylinder out and open up the hole in back towards the radiator,,,,,,

I had issues getting it out cuz of the rod from the pedal... I guess that is what I should have said and not the bracket. My bad!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:35 am

You need to remove the pushrod 1st,,,,,and that bolt is an adjusting cam,,,,you need to adjust that rod after you replace the master cylinder....

1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE  CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED Chevy_40

1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE  CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED 1_line10
    sandyvan
    sandyvan

Number of posts : 526
    Registration date : 2011-03-13

Post by sandyvan Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:31 pm

donivan65 wrote:You need to remove the pushrod 1st,,,,,and that bolt is an adjusting cam,,,,you need to adjust that rod after you replace the master cylinder....

1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE  CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED Chevy_40

1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE  CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED 1_line10

Man, you weren't kidding about destroying the van to get the bracket out!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:59 pm

,,,,,,it should of not crashed into me,,,,,,

1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE  CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED Chevy_41

1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE  CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED Chevy_42

1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE  CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED Chevy_43

1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE  CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED Chevy_44
    BILLS66
    BILLS66

Number of posts : 1383
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by BILLS66 Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:56 am

Don,Those pics make me want to cut something up. Sawzalls are cool! Bill
    ditdater
    ditdater

1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE  CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED Empty still looking

Post by ditdater Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:13 pm

dont really want to pay any shop thats not familiar w/ a car more than 10 yrs old,and would rather pay someone who knows these vans ,(but any one fairly close i/m still looking for someone to do my duel master conversion , not disc . just drums. danny 502 432 3684
    ditdater
    ditdater

Post by ditdater Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:45 pm

bump
    ditdater
    ditdater

1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE  CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED Empty still looking ....

Post by ditdater Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:20 am

still interested in finding someone interested in doing the changeover.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 9:51 am