VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+12
m1dadio
Monkeykongking
kookykrispy
Leftcoast65
BILLS66
ScottyJones
sandyvan
vanner68
BvrWally
mbasaraba
donivan65
ditdater
16 posters

1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE  CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED - Page 2 Empty Re: 1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED

Post by donivan65 Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:37 am

How much of the work are you able or wanting to do yourself? It is not hard but the work needs to be checked correctly to see if it was done right,,,,,you can buy the parts,,,,install them and have it towed to a shop and let them check it out,,,,,,and look at my brake line,,,,that is basically all it is,,,,,,take the old brake line off each wheel and screw a new one on,,,,I can tell you step by step what to do and when to do it,,,,the hardest part is unscrewing the old brake lines,,,they may be rusted in,,,,,and the whole plan is to get rid of ALL the old lines and put a 2nd Gen master cylinder on it that really is 2 master cylinders in one, one for the front brakes, one for the rear brakes,,, to make your van safer,,,,,and there are also 3 rubber hoses that should be changed while you are at it,,,,Why don't you go buy the brake line, Napa # 813-1189 and see if you can or want to install it,,,,,if you do install that brake line on your van,,,,you will need to bleed the wheel cylinder with the bleeder valve that is next to the brake line.......

1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE  CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED - Page 2 Repair23
    Leftcoast65
    Leftcoast65

Number of posts : 77
    Registration date : 2011-08-27

1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE  CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED - Page 2 Empty Re: 1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED

Post by Leftcoast65 Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:23 pm

Hey Don how long does it take to do a project like this. And what tools would be needed?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:46 pm

You need a hacksaw,,,,a 9/16 and 5/16 box wrench and a 3/8 tubing wrench,,,,I would say we would just put the new system together,,,,tape it to the old brake lines,,,,then just connect all the lines to each wheel cylinder and to the new master cylinder,,,,,so maybe the van is down for 2 hours once you do all the prep work.....to make it simple, I can show you how to mock up the new system then just screw it when you are ready,,,,,,there are a few steps that need to be explained and understood,,,,but once you see all lines taped in place, it will be clear what needs to be done,,,,,telling a stranger to convert your single line master cylinder to a dual, ain't going to happen,,,,however if we screw the lines in finger tight,, and tell them tighten up all the lines and bleed the brakes, then you stand a chance of a shop doing the job right,,,,,
    ditdater
    ditdater

Number of posts : 590
    Registration date : 2010-11-06

1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE  CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED - Page 2 Empty hey don,

Post by ditdater Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:48 pm

all the info that you have listed is going to be helpful whenever i do have this done , and i do thank you for the encouragment, but as important as brakes are , i know i have no bussiness heading that job . and i/m positive this info will help a ton .
    there was one more part info maybe needed, as far as getting all parts and having everything there when ready , could i go to any parts store and readily buy the best master cylinder that works for this 4 drum /single master change over to 4 drum /duel m/cylinder ,(which i think was a 68 corvette ? power brakes type ?) what master c to ask for .

Colossians 3:16

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:41 pm

The basic plan is to put a T fitting by each axle,,,put a brake line from the T to each wheel cylinder,,,(so 2 brake lines coming out of each T going to the 2 wheels on that axle,,,,) Put a 2 port master cylinder on the van,,,,connect each port to a T,,,,thats it.
    So the idea is,,,,you put a 2 port master cylinder on your van, you run a brake line from a port to a T on the axle,,,,(one T is on the front axle, one T is on the rear) then from that T, run brake lines to each wheel ...
    We are just copying a 1967-70 2nd Gen system,,,This is a list of the parts needed,,,,mostly Napa parts,,,,I think the rebuilt master cylinder is like $18,,,,The brake lines are wire wound,,,so you can bend them by hand,,,,,we can talk about how to install each T, brake line and the master cylinder when you get to that point,,,,,any questions just ask,,,,,you are asking for trouble running around with a single line master cylinder and 45 year old rusty brake lines and hoses,,,,

1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE  CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED - Page 2 Brake_11

kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:04 pm

I say do it yourself. You'll increase your mechanical ability and knowledge and have the satisfaction of working on your own van. The old saying 'if you want it done right, do it yourself' definitely applies to classic cars.

If you are deadset on paying someone else to perform this conversion, Get ahold of matchstick at http://www.matchstickcustoms.com/ He is in Louisville and he has a small business working on vintage vans. I'm sure he would do this conversion for you... his email: david@matchstickcustoms.com
    ditdater
    ditdater

Post by ditdater Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:30 pm

i didnt know how much he does w/ vans , thought just body fab stuff . but will call . yeah , w short patience ,add that w/ hard to some hard to replace parts , that dont add up in my favor ,in the past anyway . thanks again to all ,and Merry Christmas !
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:05 pm

Here are some more views of the operation,,,,as the brake line out here continues to grow,,,,

1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE  CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED - Page 2 Pictol12

1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE  CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED - Page 2 Brakel10
    ditdater
    ditdater

1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE  CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED - Page 2 Empty THANKS AGAIN

Post by ditdater Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:02 pm

I/M COLLECTING THIS INFO FOR WHEN I DO FIND SOMEONE INTERESTED , CANT GET A REPLY FROM MATCHSTICK, STILL LOOKING .
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Number of posts : 823
    Registration date : 2009-01-08

Post by mbasaraba Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:10 pm

donivan65 wrote:The whole plan is that you don't want to be driving with 45 year old metal brake lines and the 1 line master cylinder,so you buy new ones,,,,and while you are at it, use a 2nd Gen 2 line master cylinder,,,and instead of hooking the rear brake line to the right front wheel cylinder, hook it up to that other port on the master cylinder,,,,,,

1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE  CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED - Page 2 Brake_15

Don,

I ordered everything on this list. The one thing they didnt know about was the #302. Is that a connector? When they put in 302 it came up as a Champion Spark Plug.

Thanks again for all your help!
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:51 pm

I can't imagine being so scared to work on your own van... No Crying or Very sad

You've got part numbers, pictures and a diagram of exactly how to do this, the project is laid out here exactly how to do it. Its not hard just get out there and wrench... you can do it. cheers

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:50 pm

302x3 is its parts number,,,it is a 3/8" fitting for connecting 2 brake lines,,,,,I think it is an Edelman number,,,,Napa Balkcamp probably calls it something else,,,,,,just tell them you want to connect those 60 inch brake lines together,,,,,
    Monkeykongking
    Monkeykongking

Number of posts : 5
    Registration date : 2013-01-02

Post by Monkeykongking Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:02 pm

donivan65 wrote:Here are some more views of the operation,,,,as the brake line out here continues to grow,,,,

1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE  CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED - Page 2 Pictol12

1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE  CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED - Page 2 Brakel10

This info is very very helpful. Thank you!!!
    ditdater
    ditdater

1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE  CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED - Page 2 Empty still looking

Post by ditdater Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:54 pm

i really apreciate all the info . Again , knowing my limitations i/m bidding my time till i can hook up with someone (experienced w/ these) interested in taking this job on .
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:16 pm

To quote Clint Eastwood,,
    "A mans got to know his limitations"

m1d
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:18 am

I hate that the thread has been kind of hijacked but figure it is more info for Ditdater to use.

I got my lines and started hooking them up to the MC. The 1157 front line will not hook up to my old T. I am not what thread sizes on all this stuff so will just say big and small. The 1157 line attaches to the front of the MC and has a big male other end, my T has 1 small and 2 big females.

Since I did the front brake disc brake conversion I needed to have a proportioning valve and bought one on Ebay. It came with a 2 lbs and a 10 lbs residual valves. I expect I am supposed to hook the prop valve to the end of the 1157, but the inlet is also the small size while the male on the 1157 is big. I also suspect I am supposed to then hook the residual after the prop valve?

Looks like I will need another line or is there some kind of adapter? A lot of this will depend on which side the residual valve goes on the prop valve...
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:00 pm

The 1157 is a short brake line that has 9/16"-18 on one end to go into the inner port of of a dual line master cylinder,,,,the other end is 7/16"-24,,,,,,and on a dual line conversion,, FOR DRUM BRAKES,,,,,it goes to a T that has two ports for the 3/8-24 front brake lines,,,,,,now if you are adding residual and adjustable proportioning valves,,,,you need another plan,,,,,,I do have part numbers for different adapters that you might need ,,,,,,My drawing is not for disk brakes,,,,
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:02 pm

,,,,,and listen to what M1Dadio says,,,,,you BETTER know what you are doing if you mess with brakes,,,,
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:14 pm

I bought this kit because it said... and I quote...

The M1DK10N takes basic mechanical skills and equipment and will feature way less work to install then the other options .

So I know I have BASIC mechanical skills... I was told I need a proportioning valve and so I bought one, dual master cylinder, so I bought one, brake lines, so I bought them...

Thanks Don, was just wanting to make sure I bought the correct lines. I will just figure it out and whatever happens, happens.
    Leftcoast65
    Leftcoast65

Number of posts : 77
    Registration date : 2011-08-27

Post by Leftcoast65 Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:50 pm

mbasaraba wrote:I bought this kit because it said... and I quote...

The M1DK10N takes basic mechanical skills and equipment and will feature way less work to install then the other options .

So I know I have BASIC mechanical skills... I was told I need a proportioning valve and so I bought one, dual master cylinder, so I bought one, brake lines, so I bought them...

Thanks Don, was just wanting to make sure I bought the correct lines. I will just figure it out and whatever happens, happens.

Matt: are possibility confusing DISK BRAKES conversion (m1dadio) parts list

With DRUM BRAKE conversion (donivan65) parts list?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:11 pm

I am just defending Ditdater,,,,it seems like people are trying to force him into doing something he is not comfortable or able to do and jeopardizing him, his family and the rest of the people around him,,,,you don't get a 2nd chance if have a brake problem in an Early Van........so you need to make an important decision on your brakes because those original lines and master cylinders are an accident waiting to happen,,,,,, and I am pretty sure the comments from Vanner 68 and M1Dadio were also directed at Ditdater (or anyone else not confident in their abilities,) supporting his decision,,,, not making fun or disrespecting him.....

Last edited by donivan65 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:47 pm

So,,,,I got a question,,,,,Does M1Dadio list that Napa adapter, 813-1157, that I use, in his Disk Brake Conversion instructions?
    ditdater
    ditdater

1ST GEN DUEL BRAKE  CYLINDER CONVERSION NEEDED - Page 2 Empty No disrespect took ...

Post by ditdater Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:50 pm

i feel great to be hooked up with vintage vans and all vanners in it. and felt good about any replies i/ve gotten on all threads posted. being winter ,i/m not in a monster rush to find someone interested in this duel m/c 4 drum changeover., just feel i will bump thread once in a while , while looking .Again thanks to all info . danny
    mbasaraba
    mbasaraba

Post by mbasaraba Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:28 pm

donivan65 wrote:So,,,,I got a question,,,,,Does M1Dadio list that Napa adapter, 813-1157, that I use, in his Disk Brake Conversion instructions?

I didn't see any instructions on the lines themselves is why I was asking here. I didn't see how there could be a huge difference in just the lines no matter what style brakes I installed.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:25 pm

Lines are a BIG Problem,,,,,,there are at least 4 different thread sizes on brake systems and they are made so you can't alter the system,,,,,so when we INVENT systems, we need to make all the different parts fit,,,,,so you end up trying to make 3/8, 7/16, 1/2 and 9/16 thread sizes fit together,,,,and they do make adapters/reducers to do so,,,,either a special line or a brass fitting,,,,but you need to learn those fittings sizes to get the correct part,,,,I have all the part numbers to make things fit correctly,,,,,but it depends on what 2 things you are trying to connect,,,,and I am here to answer questions, so don't ever be afraid to ask......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 4:05 am