VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

duel master cylinder on a budget

dan nachel
    dan nachel

Number of posts : 394
    Registration date : 2012-01-24

duel master cylinder on a budget Empty duel master cylinder on a budget

Post by dan nachel Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:16 pm

I made a bracket for the duel master by using an original single master as part of the bracket. I bought a 6 inch piece of pipe to fit over the end of the master, knotched it out to slide half way over the master and welded it in place. Then I welded a reducer on the end of the pipe with the open end larger to fit over the end of the duel master. Then I welded a mounting plate with two bolt holes to atach the duel master. All that was left to do was lengthen the push rod. ( I forgot to mention that I took the guts out of the original master and drilled the end larger for the push rod to go through.) Now the duel master is mounted directly behind the original, with the push rod going straight through, and the whole thing is mounted in the original holes, with the brake pedal in the original location also. The duel master came from a nissan quest and the remote resivior is under the drivers seat. $14.00 for the used single master cylinder,$14.00 for the duel master, and $6.00 for the pipe. After running new brake lines and bleeding the whole system, I now have a new duel master cylinder brake system for less than $75.00 including lines and fluid.
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

duel master cylinder on a budget Empty Re: duel master cylinder on a budget

Post by EconoUSAparts Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:39 pm

Pics??????
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:37 pm

Yes pics please....Also, just a thought...Aren't the master cyl made from cast? and did you pre-heat it to weld on the pipe. Steel will brake away from cast if not done correctly. But aside from that I would still like to see how it turned out. Not trying to insalt or anything like that...just concerned if you had to pile on the brakes and will it hold when needed.
    dan nachel
    dan nachel

Post by dan nachel Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:25 pm

I have tried to post pics. after clicking on the host it button, I get a window saying "the web page can not be displayed" Hopefuly I will get pics up soon. Yes I did heat the cast iron first, and welded with nickle rod. Its been on for about three weeks now, and working great.
    dan nachel
    dan nachel

Post by dan nachel Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:38 pm

Here are some pics. AOL was the problem. the first two show how I started. The last one shows the whole thing.
    duel master cylinder on a budget Master24duel master cylinder on a budget Master25duel master cylinder on a budget Master26 cheers
    dan nachel
    dan nachel

Post by dan nachel Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:41 pm

After welding, I put epoxy around the seams to seal out dirt and moisture. I was also able to use the original rubber boot.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:10 am