VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+10
mikeysly
vanner68
Digz
donivan65
Big W
ScottyJones
dix
HandiVanMan
RodStRace
sandyvan
14 posters

Taking A Breather

sandyvan
    sandyvan

Number of posts : 526
    Registration date : 2011-03-13

Taking A Breather Empty Taking A Breather

Post by sandyvan Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:50 am

I've had my van for a month now, and with Donivan65's help I fixed the Gen Light On issues (new alt, corrected wiring mistakes), and determined I have a seriously messed up harmonic balancer situation. Don gave me a spare that could provide a short/medium term solution but requires some tricky welding to correct the messed up keyway on the crankshaft. I got started on removing the radiator and fan so my mobile mechanic buddy could work on it. But I soon learned I would need to put the van up on ramps or jackstands, and remove the sway bar to drop the radiator out through the bottom of the van. It was looking like too much of a tear down job for the driveway if things got complicated, the neighbors would probably start grumbling. So I put the hoses back on, tightened up the radiator and put the semi-functioing balancer back on. At least I can start it up and move it around. I need to do some serious garage clean out and re-arranging so I can get the van inside for this type of work. I can't get to that for a bit so it gives me some time to think about what I really want to do long term. The crankshaft keyway situation may or not be worth messing with, I really need a new (or good used) motor. And brake upgrade. And someday new wiring. And bench seats. Etc. Etc. I'll admit I'm experiencing a bit of new (old) van owner shock and a bit overwhelmed with all that needs to be done. But I knew going in it would be a long term project for someone with my limited skills. I've been looking on Craigslist for engines, but haven't found anything yet, I guess that may take a while.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Taking A Breather Empty Re: Taking A Breather

Post by RodStRace Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:15 am

Take it easy, it can be overwhelming when you think of all the stuff at once!
    SD is a great place to be working on one. Many JYs, plenty of good shops, and many members to lend a hand.
    You don't mention what engine you are looking for.
    If it's a straight 6, go around to each of the rod shops in town and leave a card asking for any takeouts. Lots of guys still take Chevy pickups and cars from the sixties and take out the 6 for a crate V8. Many also swap out the OE V8s too. A call isn't enough, you gotta go to the place and shake hands.
    sandyvan
    sandyvan

Post by sandyvan Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:53 pm

Oh yeah, looking for a straight six. What is in there is most likely a 250, and I guess those are the more common than 230's. Seen the issues on here about the 292 swap so will probably avoid that. Definitely not ready for a V8 swap unless a bag of money falls out of the sky, but I think I see part of the reason so many people want to do it - they are plentiful. Good tip on the hot rod shops, I'll start looking into that.
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Post by HandiVanMan Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:42 pm

Exto,
    I think that your van has a 230 6cyl in it.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8731
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:00 pm

Wow Rod some good tips there. write all the things you want to do . then start 1 of them keeping a eye on parts needed. Be carefull not to over pay andthe parts will Come around. Ifyou can temp fix the h. balancer that will give you the extra time and cash to keep picking at your list. if you are not in a hurry that engine can be found cheap. But try Rods idea. I realy like that...

Post by sandyvan Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:40 pm

HandiVanMan wrote:Exto,
    I think that your van has a 230 6cyl in it.

Exto is the guy that bought the blue and white Sportvan recently, maybe you meant to be on the other posting?

Anyway, my motor is probably not original, it's blue for one thing, I've read that wasn't done till early 70's. The block numbers indicate a 250 and the air cleaner has some non early van parts to it. But it doesn't really matter, I've yet to see any 230's for sale, only 250's. But even those could be a mistake by the seller, I hear it's hard to tell them apart.
    ScottyJones
    ScottyJones

Number of posts : 361
    Registration date : 2011-08-17

Post by ScottyJones Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:05 pm

I've felt some of the same feelings along the way and gotten a little overwhelmed here and there too, but you gotta just take it one step at a time. Working on these vans (or any project for that matter) is part of the fun and experience. If it was exactly how you wanted it to be from the get go, what would be the fun in that? The more time you spend looking around all the little nooks and crannies, the less intimidated you'll be to unbolt something. Plus, you got this website to help anytime you run into a problem.

I just found me a rebuilt 250 from a guy up in Temecula on Craigslist for $800. I only had to search for about a week to find the right one. There's a lot of them at least within driving distance of us, I know you'll be able to find one.

On that radiator drop, maybe Don will post some pics up, but we were able to cleanly drop mine out the bottom just by jacking up the front of the van. Didn't have to touch the sway bar.
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:17 pm

When you start to feel overwelmed, then just step back, grab a cold one and just take a break from it all. One day at a time and don't try to tackle to much at once. You no you need a motor so get your feelers out there and waite to here from someone. While waiting start getting that garage cleaned up so you can get that van in there. Then take off one tire and start looking at the breaks. If your not sure ask for help in here and even take pics before taking something apart to help you later when you reassemble. Remember you have a lot of help in here. you will find that these vans be it ford, chev, or dodge...are really not that difficult to work on once you start taking stuff apart. Your confidance will get better with the more that you do.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:26 pm

The SandyVan Harmonic balancer is being held on by the fan belt,,,,,the keyway is all rounded out and they have tried to weld the balancer on before,,,,,so the keyway on the crankshaft needs to be repaired and a new key and balancer pounded back on,,,,,,and the radiator needs to come out to get to the crankshaft,,,,,So,,,,if you drain the coolant and remove the bellypan, I would come over and pull the radiator out by dropping it down, jacking the van up and sliding the radiator out under the swaybar,like we just did on Scottys today,,,,so let me know if you catch your breath,,,,,,

Taking A Breather Holy_c10

Taking A Breather Keyway10

Taking A Breather Scotty23
    sandyvan
    sandyvan

Post by sandyvan Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:48 pm

Ahhh... I just read that post where you and Scotty dropped it out without removing the swaybar. Yesterday before I got to work on the van I saw a post of yours saying the swaybar would need to come off too so I freaked out a bit and retreated! I have to say, when I put my old balancer back on with that worn out key, it took me half a dozen attempts because the slot is so worn, the key was moving all over. I'm worried it will be really hard to weld one in accurately enough for the good balancer. We'll see I guess.

Plans changed today so I opened up a big can of whoop ass on the garage, got a ton accomplished. I think I can finish cleaning it up tomorrow and pull the van in. Then we can figure out a time for you to swing by.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:00 pm

Well,,,,,,its just a temporary fix,,,,your balancer is sliding forward awful close to the radiator,,,,even if they just run a bead of welding rod in the slot and form it into somewhat of a key will keep the balancer from turning on the crankshaft,,,,,,
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:07 am

Wow thats going to be a nasty in-vehichle repair. "IF" you could find a piece of carbon that could be shaped the same as the key bottom. Might be able to soft clamp it in place and weld around it to build it back up. The weld wont stick to the carbon and you'd "just" have to grind it down to size. I say "just" because I know it would still be a little difficult. I have done this on pin bosses for spring hangers in trucks, but never anything that small. I think the carbon would be something from a die shop that would have an EDM machine? Good luck on whichever way ya go!
    sandyvan
    sandyvan

Post by sandyvan Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:35 pm

Digz wrote:Wow thats going to be a nasty in-vehichle repair. "IF" you could find a piece of carbon that could be shaped the same as the key bottom. Might be able to soft clamp it in place and weld around it to build it back up. The weld wont stick to the carbon and you'd "just" have to grind it down to size. I say "just" because I know it would still be a little difficult. I have done this on pin bosses for spring hangers in trucks, but never anything that small. I think the carbon would be something from a die shop that would have an EDM machine? Good luck on whichever way ya go!

Unfortunately, I know diddly about welding. Don loaned me a good balancer with a good key, but I am reluctant to mess up either part. The previous "fix" was that they welded the face of the pulley to the crankshaft... Who knows how long that worked, it was OK when I bought the van (of course!) as it was not making that sound at all. I drove it home about 120 miles, a few short local trips, then started it up one morning and instant "what the heck is that?" clunking. It's tempting to just re-do that crappy fix while I look for a new motor - gotta ask Scotty how he scored that great looking rebuilt he got.

Garage is cleaned up, the SandyVan is now off the streets.
    vanner68
    vanner68

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2008-09-22

Post by vanner68 Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:59 pm

Craigslist to the rescue, and in your area!

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/pts/3192552895.html

You'll have the 'integral head' but also HEI. You can always put your head on the engine.

And only $50!!!!
    vanner68
    vanner68

Post by vanner68 Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:07 pm

In fact, I would snatch that up even if it needs a rebuild, because your crank is toast.

Strip that motor down to the short block, send your head out for a rebuild, or at least valve stem seals, put your flywheel on and install a pilot bushing in the crank, Install motor, make swap to HEI and late model alternator (if it's still on the engine) and enjoy your van!
    sandyvan
    sandyvan

Post by sandyvan Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:17 pm

vanner68, I saw that but maybe it's the angle or all the leaves, but that motor looks odd to me, like no other 250 I've seen before.
    vanner68
    vanner68

Post by vanner68 Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:36 pm

It has the integral intake head, and emissions junk

Here's another pic of a 78 Pickup 6 cylinder

Taking A Breather 22832410002_large

Taking A Breather SANY1973

Taking A Breather SANY1971

Compare to C list ad pic...

Taking A Breather 5E55Jb5M53k93Fe3Hfc88c812be8a0ff91765

Pull that smog motor head and cash it in for scrap, and put your head on the short block.
    sandyvan
    sandyvan

Post by sandyvan Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:45 pm

Hmmm... So that motor for sale, it has the valve cover off? I saw some pics like yours on a C10 forum.

Like you said, it's only 50 bucks. I could get a stand and spend some time cleaning and painting it.. Maybe a little over my head, gots to think about this.
    vanner68
    vanner68

Post by vanner68 Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:50 pm

Integral head valve cover looks different, more 'notches'.

It's worth a look at any rate, the bellhousing mount is definitely Chevy!

Remember, it's all nuts and bolts. For my money, $50 is worth it just for the learning experience.
    sandyvan
    sandyvan

Post by sandyvan Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:01 pm

Yeah, I see it now after going back and forth looking at the different pictures. I sent the seller a note we'll see if they call back, no number in the ad.
    sandyvan
    sandyvan

Post by sandyvan Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:04 pm

mikeysly
    mikeysly

Number of posts : 284
    Registration date : 2012-05-29

Post by mikeysly Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:23 am

every integral head i've seen was cracked
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:43 am

yeah, but if it was just a crank for 50 bucks, he would be considering it!
    ScottyJones
    ScottyJones

Number of posts : 361
    Registration date : 2011-08-17

Post by ScottyJones Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:54 am

If there is anything salvageable off my old motor, you're welcome to it. Don took it with him yesterday and is gonna check it out internally.
    sandyvan
    sandyvan

Post by sandyvan Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:36 pm

OK, I just talked to the guy, said it was on a 77' C10 that he got and drove for a bit then it got wrecked. Says it ran fine, but it's been a year since it was last started. Now I just gotta figure out how to haul it home. Oh wait, I have a van! A van that probably shouldn't be driven more than two blocks at a time darn it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 5:15 am