VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

AOD transmission swap

AOD transmission swap Empty AOD transmission swap

Post by Guest Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:33 pm

I will be putting a 240 Clifford performance motor with almost 300hp and close to 400 pounds of torque in my 61 Econo pickup and want to put an AOD tranny in it. I have never done this so if any of you have what am I looking at. I was told that I could use the short tail shaft and housing from a C4. Vic if you are reading this will one of you under tranny mounts work for this??? Also thinking of doing the same thing on my 65 with a 200 ci motor
    PDXvanman
    PDXvanman

Number of posts : 37
    Registration date : 2010-02-12

AOD transmission swap Empty Re: AOD transmission swap

Post by PDXvanman Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:55 am

vanishingbreed wrote:I will be putting a 240 Clifford performance motor with almost 300hp and close to 400 pounds of torque in my 61 Econo pickup and want to put an AOD tranny in it...

Mike,

Not to change the subject, but I'm curious where you get those numbers? It's not that I'm skeptical...it's that I have a REALLY hot rodded 300 I6 and I really have no idea what kind of power it's making. What all are you doing to the engine?

More on topic: I want to swap to an automatic, too and will be interested in the responses. I was told (not sure how credible the source was...) that the AODs are a good option, but that they "all need to be rebuilt" and that rebuilds are not cheap. I was also told C4s are cheap to buy and easy to rebuild. I'm a motorcycle mechanic...I don't know squat about automatics, but figured a C4 would be a good introduction. On the other hand, I'd love to raise my rear end ratio (currently 2.84!!) and go with an overdrive.

Ted

Post by Guest Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:18 pm

Rebuilt AOD trannys can be bought for less than $500.00 on ebay with a 30 month warranty. The numbers were given to me by Clifford performance who will rebuild the head to their racing specs and the motor will be rebuilt 60 over using all Clifford internals ,intake,cam, x pipes, Delta Force racing mufflers, headers and either a Weber 38 or an Edelbrock Performer 500 cfm carb.
    PDXvanman
    PDXvanman

Number of posts : 37
    Registration date : 2010-02-12

Post by PDXvanman Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:05 pm

Thanks, Mike. Good to know about the AODs on ebay. Now I have even more info to confuse me drunken

Your engine sounds fun! Mine is a 300 with most of that stuff...smaller carb and single exhaust, though. Holley 390...Clifford Intake...Erkson cam...big valves w/valve job...ported...roller rockers...piston kit...everything balanced "to the moon"...headers...single outlet exhaust...MSD ignition...etc.

If you listen to some people, my set-up should barely be streetable...esp. with the 2.84 rear end. In reality, it is quite easy to drive...putts around town nicely...has PLENTY of torque...etc. It's not the top-end-only race motor that it seems like on paper. (side note: I'm convinced from my experience being a motorcycle mechanic that the smaller 390 cfm carb helps a LOT to keep it streetable.)

With an AOD, it would be even better! I look forward to watching your project!

Ted

Post by Guest Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:57 pm

PDXvanman wrote:Thanks, Mike. Good to know about the AODs on ebay. Now I have even more info to confuse me drunken

Your engine sounds fun! Mine is a 300 with most of that stuff...smaller carb and single exhaust, though. Holley 390...Clifford Intake...Erkson cam...big valves w/valve job...ported...roller rockers...piston kit...everything balanced "to the moon"...headers...single outlet exhaust...MSD ignition...etc.

If you listen to some people, my set-up should barely be streetable...esp. with the 2.84 rear end. In reality, it is quite easy to drive...putts around town nicely...has PLENTY of torque...etc. It's not the top-end-only race motor that it seems like on paper. (side note: I'm convinced from my experience being a motorcycle mechanic that the smaller 390 cfm carb helps a LOT to keep it streetable.)

With an AOD, it would be even better! I look forward to watching your project!

Ted
    A Holley 390 was my first choice for a carb but then Clifford said they have been getting better performance with the Edelbrock 500. The did however say a Weber 38 would blow away a 390 or 500 by four to five lengths if used on the same motor . They even have a dual Weber set up that is even better.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:15 am