VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Transmission swap options

mechaniman
    mechaniman

Number of posts : 15
    Registration date : 2016-08-31

Transmission swap options Empty Transmission swap options

Post by mechaniman Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:09 pm

Looking to make my 66 supervan a little more of a long distance traveler and wondering what my options are for an overdrive transmission. Right now I'm rocking a 1970's C4 3 speed with a top mounting bracket. I've heard rumors that I might be able to fit an AOD trans in there.
    Anybody out there have experience with that swap, will I need to build a different mount ?
    I'm guessing my driveline will need to be shortened , what else ?
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Transmission swap options Empty Re: Transmission swap options

Post by Seth G Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:28 pm

If you're van has a 240 you can swap in an AOD. You will need to fab a mount and shorten the driveshaft. The C4 yoke *should work in the AOD. You will also need to get a Lokar TV cable kit and come up with a way to properly attach it to the throttle. It's very important that is done right or you can and will burn up the trans very quickly. You will need an AOD 164 tooth flex plate and block plate. You may  need a new starter, is your starter 2 or 3 bolts? You can get the proper flex plate and starter from an early 90's F-150 4.9 ltr(300) w/AOD. The block plates are available from mustang parts suppliers fairly cheap as is the lower dust cover. You will also want to add a secondary trans cooler if you don't already have one. You can also find the block plates dirt cheap at the junk yard, I think I paid $5 for mine, but I couldn't find a dust cover and had to get a new one for like $16 iirc.

Transmission swap options 75c49f2c-3182-4bb1-b437-85e4
    mechaniman
    mechaniman

Number of posts : 15
    Registration date : 2016-08-31

Post by mechaniman Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:11 pm

Awesome, any reason the AOD wouldn't work if I was to upgrade later to a 300ci engine

Seth G wrote:If you're van has a 240 you can swap in an AOD. You will need to fab a mount and shorten the driveshaft. The C4 yoke *should work in the AOD. You will also need to get a Lokar TV cable kit and come up with a way to properly attach it to the throttle. It's very important that is done right or you can and will burn up the trans very quickly. You will need an AOD 164 tooth flex plate and block plate. You may  need a new starter, is your starter 2 or 3 bolts? You can get the proper flex plate and starter from an early 90's F-150 4.9 ltr(300) w/AOD. The block plates are available from mustang parts suppliers fairly cheap as is the lower dust cover. You will also want to add a secondary trans cooler if you don't already have one. You can also find the block plates dirt cheap at the junk yard, I think I paid $5 for mine, but I couldn't find a dust cover and had to get a new one for like $16 iirc.

Transmission swap options 75c49f2c-3182-4bb1-b437-85e4
    Seth G
    Seth G

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:57 pm

No, one thing I thought of later was your rear end ratio, it may need to be shorter. If you've been doing 70 you probably have 3:1 now. You may want to go with a shorter gear with an AOD. Maybe 3.5:1 or better. But it can wait and you can feel it out later
    fordlor 1
    fordlor 1

Number of posts : 2
    Registration date : 2016-07-19

Post by fordlor 1 Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:43 am

flexplate part # pioneer FRA317

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:58 am