VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+19
m1dadio
Scott
hywaychild
64chevy
mo_1040
xjamesx
billski
VANagain
G-Man
joyrde
BILLS66
Nightmoves
gotavan
Kakster
BvrWally
DanTheVanMan
Digz
PolarBear2
donivan65
23 posters

Auto transmission swap

Auto transmission swap Empty Auto transmission swap

Post by Guest Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:28 pm

When I use the search function to look for information on a transmission swap its all on the three speed. My van has an automatic. Does that mean that I dont have to change anything around to swap out the powerglide?

I want to put a 700R4 in it. What kinda things do I need to do if anything?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Auto transmission swap Empty Re: Auto transmission swap

Post by donivan65 Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:45 pm

You need to build a trans mount for it and get the driveshaft shortened for starters,,,,,,,,

Post by Guest Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:49 pm

I knew it would need to be shortend. I wasnt sure about the mount though. Thought that maybe since it had an auto it wouldnt need to be modified for another.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:55 pm

The original Van transmissions hang from the floor crossmember,,,,,,then they made a hanger that bolted onto the TH350 trans,,,,,,but the 700 and the 200 overdrive transmissions have the mount on the bottom so you need to build a hanger for it. Also,,,you will need a different driveshaft front yoke,,,,,PG has different number of splines than a 700r4,,,,,,,

Auto transmission swap Polar_10

Auto transmission swap Chevy_14

Post by Guest Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:12 pm

Alright. I get the mount part then.

Can you explain the front yoke thing more? Thats something I would have to do if I use the vans driveshaft, right? What if I used a shortend driveshaft that came with the 700r4, is that possible?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:05 pm

The front slip joint from a 700r4 driveshaft would work, but the Vans use really short driveshafts, like 21" long,,,,,,The PowerGlide trans has 16 teeth splines, while the 700r4 has 27. So you need a driveshaft that will slip into the 700, the P/G won't, then it needs to be shortened,,,,and I think they are charging like $200 to cut a driveshaft down and install new u joints in it. You also have to set up carburetor linkage for the Throttle Valve cable, as well as lock up solenoid wiring for the 700 to work and maybe change the speedometer gear too....
    PolarBear2
    PolarBear2

Number of posts : 183
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Post by PolarBear2 Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:32 am

The TH350 & 700R4 yolks are the same if that helps.

Don's 1st picture is of the TH350 and "support system" that was in my Van when I bought it.

The 2nd picture is of the 700R4 and 8" drop crossmember that's in it now. Well not right now, it's all been pulled back out so to paint & undercoat the underside of the Van.

Post by Guest Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:24 am

Would you be able to make another one of those? I would pay you of course.

I dont know many folks with shops in there garage that could help me with this. Plus you obviously already have it done right.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:44 am

I have seen about 10 different variations of the rear mount on a 700r4. And if I ever wanted to cross over to the Automatic side,,,,,it would probably be using a 3rd generation crossmember that I have showing here

Auto transmission swap 700r4a10

Post by Guest Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:17 am

Well ok then. I will look into that.

Also I just thought of this. When you (donivan65) where talking about how short the driveshaft would be, is that for a 90" van? Cause mine is the 108". I would guess that would make it easier?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:18 pm

That is for a 90 inch WB 1st Gen for a 700R4. AND,,,,we do get 3 choices of Factory driveshafts, 1st Gen, 2nd Gen 90, 2nd Gen 108 WB. And maybe more depending on the trans installed. It would be nice to find one of those that would fit right in when you add a 700R4. So the question now is HOW BIG IS YOUR DRIVE SHAFT,,,,,,lets measure from center to center of the u joints ON THE DRIVE SHAFT and see what sizes we come up with. Then we will know what choices we have when we add a different trans and maybe not have to buy or have one cut down,,,,, My 65 with a 3 speed is 23",,,,,,

Post by Guest Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:27 pm

Good topic!

I have 3 speed auto in my van with a strait 6 250..

I have been thinking about changing the tranny for one with longer gears for better highway rpm.. right now it screams down the highway top keep up with traffic, so i just drive slow and get there when i get there kinnda thing.

Now that I know its this big of a deal, how about this idea...

I have been toying with the idea of just changing the gears in the rear end and lowering all the gear..

The motor has enough power so It would work great!

What do ya think?

Sorry to jack the thread, but im guessing these are some of peoples problems as well???
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:44 pm

Seems to me that would be a big help. when you consider alot of these vans were running 3.36 3.73s and 4.11s, dropping to a 3.08 or something like that especially running an automatic would make sense.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:37 pm

Transmissions are not going to help,,,,whether they are a 2, 3, 5, or 27 speed, high gear is always 1 to 1, the only exception is if you get an overdrive one, which will drop it down in high gear to about .70 to 1. The real solution is the rear end, which there are at least 4 choices. The 3:08 and 3:36 let the engine turn slower for any given speed. And rule #4 is a guy needs to drain his differential, check his axles and see what gear ratio he has so he knows what he got. As a matter of fact, I unloaded the TreeVan differential today to see what I got and if it will be better than what is in my van right now,,,,,,,,,

Auto transmission swap Nodoor49
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:11 pm

Oh yeah, this is all starting to sound very familiar.....

Auto transmission swap 12210811

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Auto transmission swap Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    PolarBear2
    PolarBear2

Post by PolarBear2 Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:44 am

donivan65 wrote:I have seen about 10 different variations of the rear mount on a 700r4. And if I ever wanted to cross over to the Automatic side,,,,,it would probably be using a 3rd generation crossmember that I have showing here

Hey Don- Isn't that a TH350 pictured? With a 700R4 that crossmember would have to be installed a different way due to the added lenght.

Last edited by PolarBear2 on Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:33 am; edited 1 time in total

Post by Guest Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:26 am

donivan65 wrote:Transmissions are not going to help,,,,whether they are a 2, 3, 5, or 27 speed, high gear is always 1 to 1, the only exception is if you get an overdrive one, which will drop it down in high gear to about .70 to 1.
    Thats why I want a 700R4. Although I am not opposed to changing the rear end as well.

I want to be able to cruise on the highway with decent mileage, for a brick, and without turning a ton of RPM. Also the 700R4 goes with my engine choice...
    PolarBear2
    PolarBear2

Post by PolarBear2 Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:30 am

JC wrote:Would you be able to make another one of those? I would pay you of course.

I dont know many folks with shops in there garage that could help me with this. Plus you obviously already have it done right.

JC- That would be tough without the Van. The frame additions have to be done first then the crossmember needs to be built in the Van with the trans on a trans jack bolted to the engine to get all the angles correct.

Post by Guest Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:49 am

Thats ok. I figured I should take donivan65's suggestion anyways. Thats something I could get done since I do know people with welding equipment.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:52 am

That picture of the 3rd Gen crossmember is FAKE,,,,,,,actually it is just hanging there under my van, which is a 65, and that trans is a 3 speed out of a 69,,,,,which is real,,,,,,As for a TH350 trans,,,,,,They came in those vans around 1968,,,,,and they made this ring mount to just bolt onto the trans rear housing and there you were,,,,,,,This picture shows that mount next to a PowerGlide, which has that hanging type mount built onto the trans.

Auto transmission swap Repair28

Auto transmission swap Repair29
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:59 am

YOU WANT TO TALK TRANSMISSIONS!!!! I bet you won't this kind of information anywhere else,,,,,, now lets see,,,,,which trans do I want to run in my 65 Chevy Van this week ???????

Auto transmission swap Transf10
    BvrWally
    BvrWally

Number of posts : 946
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by BvrWally Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:31 am

Geez Don...You're just like a girl with her selection of shoes!!! lol JK Smile

Post by Guest Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:02 am

Ok now you have confused me with the fake trans mount deal...

Is it still a better Idea to use an actual trans crossmember than to have something made up like Polarbear2's set up?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:17 am

It's fake in that the mount has nothing to do with the 3 speed trans in there. But that is a 3rd Gen trans mount. PolarBears is from scratch. You got a lot of choices,,,,,,Check out VanAgains van,,,,,
    He is working on building a hanging mount for his 700r4. And the thing is, the 700 is longer so you need an offset mount to reach back to catch the upper crossmember. Or go under the tailshaft....

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/member-s-showcase-f2/back-tovanagains-newest-65-chevy-sportvan-deluxe-t1038-30.htm
    PolarBear2
    PolarBear2

Post by PolarBear2 Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:06 pm

PolarBear2 wrote:
    donivan65 wrote:I have seen about 10 different variations of the rear mount on a 700r4. And if I ever wanted to cross over to the Automatic side,,,,,it would probably be using a 3rd generation crossmember that I have showing here

Hey Don- Isn't that a TH350 pictured? With a 700R4 that crossmember would have to be installed a different way due to the added lenght.

Well that's right, you'd use the hoop if it were a TH350, Duh Mark. I looked into using the 3rd Gen unit, but with the added length of the 700R4 No Building what we did was the way to go.

Anyway, I'm glad I've crossed the trans crossmember bridge and you soon will also. Now it's on to, dare I say it,.................the suspension bridge. lol!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 10:27 am