VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

window removal?

sonnygable
    sonnygable

Number of posts : 90
    Registration date : 2008-09-03

window removal? Empty window removal?

Post by sonnygable Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:46 am

is there a tutorial here on window removal.want to get the 69 doors and windows out and ready for paint this summer.should i plan on new rubber or can the old ones be saved if done properly?
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

window removal? Empty Re: window removal?

Post by G-Man Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:19 am

I saved all the window seal on my 69 except the windshield , really if they show wear replace (don't want leaky windows)
    gp70
    gp70

Number of posts : 162
    Registration date : 2008-05-22

Post by gp70 Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:45 am

Are we talking about front doors or side doors. If we are talking about front doors, yea, there is a great tutorial on completely dissassembling the front doors. Photos and text. Do I have the link, no, but it is out there, I think it was a vcvc post originally, but may have been in the vcvc2 area. I'm sure someone has the link and will post it, if not, I'll do some digging and see what I can come up with.
    gp70
    gp70

Number of posts : 162
    Registration date : 2008-05-22

Post by gp70 Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:54 am

sonnygable
    sonnygable

Number of posts : 90
    Registration date : 2008-09-03

Post by sonnygable Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:07 am

thanx,that will be helpful as well,but im more interested in the rear doors and windshield

Post by Guest Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:15 am

sonnygable wrote:thanx,that will be helpful as well,but im more interested in the rear doors and windshield

If your rubber isnt crispy you can save it. If its showing cracks anywhere it done. The windows come out from the insidie out. They make special "picks" for window rubber and they are available at harbor freight. I have found its easiest to do with 2 people. Start at the top/center and peel the rubber down and out, working to the outside edges while putting outward preasure on the window. If its in your budget to get new rubber do it, its very easy to crack a window while removing it, REALLY easy if its the origanal glass. Then you just take a razor knife to the rubber to get the window out. My .02
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:51 pm

And if you want to do the stationary glass, JC Whitney has the weatherstripping and its locking spline. You need the tool to install that spline.

window removal? Tool10

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 12:22 pm