BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

Turn signal and horn repair

bkaspr

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2016-09-15

Turn signal and horn repair

Post by bkaspr on Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:13 pm

I've been searching high and low for a solution to my annihilated turn signal and horn swtich/assembly on my 65 automatic a100. I know there are some NOS bits on ebay, and mopar mall has a repro kit, but I'm not willing to shell out $200+ for a turn signal and horn. Call me crazy. Does anyone have any tips/trick resources to fixing this? Do any of the dorman/H.E.L.P. turn signal switch kits fit the a100? Will the spring loaded GM type of horn brush contact work? I have a contact ring, the auto cancel washer thing, and the metal "base" that holds the signal switch and original horn brush roller contact, and that's it.

Any help or leads would be appreciated.
slowflapper

Number of posts : 933
Registration date : 2010-07-29

Re: Turn signal and horn repair

Post by slowflapper on Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:36 pm

I think some of the early Sweptline dodge trucks used the same cams and internals, you may use that to expand the search a bit.
bkaspr

Post by bkaspr on Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:04 pm

Actually the other day I saw that Easy Street had an assembly for the trucks. The price isn't great, but it certainly beats other prices I've found out there. Looks identical to me, does anyone know if this fits?

Link:
http://easy-streetllc.com/69-71-turn-69-71-turn-signal-assembly-sa6971/
Dan Scully

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2016-07-30

Post by Dan Scully on Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:34 pm

bkaspr wrote:Actually the other day I saw that Easy Street had an assembly for the trucks. The price isn't great, but it certainly beats other prices I've found out there. Looks identical to me, does anyone know if this fits?

Link:
Not the same switch but looks like you might be able to modify it to work?,the A-100 is the same as the early D-100 .I think 61-to 69? I have a used one you can have it might work or good for parts just pay the shipping.It is missing the little wedge that holds the switch to the column and the wires have been cut. Send me a PM.

bkaspr

Post by bkaspr on Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:19 am

Thank you! Sending a message now.
hemicop

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2011-12-18

Post by hemicop on Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:30 am

So does that mean one from a d100 WILL fit? And how do you remove the arm from the switch, anyway? Mine's riveted on & I tried drilling it out but it's still in there---I can't remove the switch unless I can get the arm off. HELP!
bkaspr

Post by bkaspr on Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:40 am

Hey hemicop. The turn signal switch from a mid 60's bronco will work for this. I drilled out the rivets on the switch holder and replaced the entire plastic piece/switch with the new one from scott drake. Just bolted it into the metal switch holder piece. Cost about $25. Only difference is I had to remove one of the horn contacts, and swap out the threaded turn signal arm holder for the dodge one. Also for anyone looking for the turn signal arm, the bronco turn signal arm fits the a100 perfectly.
hemicop

Post by hemicop on Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:20 pm

Thanks! I was beginning to imagine all sorts of problems! Did you have to drill out the rivet holding the arm also?
bkaspr

Post by bkaspr on Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:36 pm

No that piece is not riveted in. It's held simply via a recess in the plastic switch and the metal holder. The clip on the top of the plastic only holds the cancelling cam in place.
hemicop

Post by hemicop on Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:38 pm

So that arm IS removable without drilling???????
bkaspr

Post by bkaspr on Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:42 pm

yes. the arm unscrews from the metal piece inside of the column and that threaded piece is just held in place by the plastic switch. At least this is the case on my 1965, which uses the switch set up like you see pictured further up this thread.
slowflapper

Number of posts : 933
Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper on Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:15 pm

Dan Scully wrote:
bkaspr wrote:Actually the other day I saw that Easy Street had an assembly for the trucks. The price isn't great, but it certainly beats other prices I've found out there. Looks identical to me, does anyone know if this fits?

Link:
Not the same switch but looks like you might be able to modify it to work?,the A-100 is the same as the early D-100 .I think 61-to 69? I have a used one you can have it might work or good for parts just pay the shipping.It is missing the little wedge that holds the switch to the column and the wires have been cut. Send me a PM.

That part looks identical to my stock '65 signal cam setup

hemicop

Post by hemicop on Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:54 pm

slowflapper wrote:
Dan Scully wrote:

Link:

That part looks identical to my stock '65 signal cam setup

The first picture looks like my switch but the arm is attached via the rivet (?) on the left-hand side so I can't remove the switch from the column. A local parts store provided me a an arm from a '67 Bronco that looks like it MAY work IF I can get the switch out of the column. In short, this is getting a bit more complicated than I anticipated Shocked
hemicop

Post by hemicop on Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:53 pm

Well, I've been all over the Web as far as I can figure out Rolling Eyes ..................ANYONE have a turn signal switch they're willing to part with without charging me my first-born? affraid
lws67

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2012-06-20

Post by lws67 on Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:43 pm

The arm threads into the alloy block that the plastic parts are riveted to. The arm "should" have small flats on it so a wrench can be used to remove.
hemicop

Post by hemicop on Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:07 am

lws67 wrote:The arm threads into the alloy block that the plastic parts are riveted to. The arm "should" have small flats on it so a wrench can be used to remove.

Thanks! Slowly but surly I'm getting this sorted-out. Now IF I can just find a switch..... Rolling Eyes
Keith D

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2016-11-25

Post by Keith D on Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:00 pm

hemicop wrote:
lws67 wrote:The arm threads into the alloy block that the plastic parts are riveted to. The arm "should" have small flats on it so a wrench can be used to remove.

Thanks! Slowly but surly I'm getting this sorted-out. Now IF I can just find a switch..... Rolling Eyes

There are no reproductions available... Originals are very hard to find...That is why they go for big bucks on eBay.

Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2016-10-18

Post by 69 on Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:08 am

sweetvan

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2013-12-16

Post by sweetvan on Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:30 am

Hemicop,
What did you wind up doing?
Richard