VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
white-lightning
dodge man
6 posters

turn signal

dodge man
    dodge man

Number of posts : 2036
    Registration date : 2012-08-08

turn signal Empty turn signal

Post by dodge man Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:25 pm

i turn the left turn signal on it works great untill i push on the brake pedal, i've checked all the grounds at the light sockets, could it be a flasher unit? the right turn signal works great even whe the brake pedal is pressed, help,
    white-lightning
    white-lightning

Number of posts : 237
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

turn signal Empty Re: turn signal

Post by white-lightning Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:42 pm

The tail lights and turn signals ground through the tail buckets through the body. Any corrosion can cause a bad ground.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:24 pm

The brake light switch just sends a signal to the turn signal switch. The turn signal switch determines what brake lights and what turn signal lights to turn on,,,,,so if the turn signals work and if you step on the brakes and both brake lights come on,,,,,and then if the rear turn signal or brake lights don't work right when you switch the turn signal lever, then the problem is the turn signal switch....,,,,,
    dodge man
    dodge man

Post by dodge man Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:14 am

thanks for your help guys. i'll check closser for grounds at the buckets and the bulbs, yeah the brake lights work, and the turn signals work untill i hit the brakes while the turn signals are on then the left side stays on but dont blink, the right side works fine,
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:38 am

The usual issue is a poor ground, as mentioned. Check all four corners!
    It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the bulbs too, if they are old.
    I like to use a small wire brush to clean the inside of the sockets. They are commonly called a coil tower brush, since they fit into coil and dist. cap towers. You could use a gun brush too, but don't use it on a gun again!
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:34 am

FWIW: Those 40 some year old electrical connections start to corrode, but not enough to stop all electrical current. I removed the gauge cluster, slid the spade clips on top of the fuse block back and forth a bit and the turn signals were fully functional again.
    dodge man
    dodge man

Post by dodge man Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:53 am

yeah when the left signal is on and i press the brake they not only stop flashing they also dim, i'll get on it later today, i hope its just a ground problem i'll never find a switch
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:41 pm

Heres one problem i do run into from time to time on cars & trucks. The bulb is likely a # 1157= it has 1 prong on each side of the brass barrell-those prongs locate the bulb properly in the socket-& the prongs are =OFFSET!. I have seen many changed before & if cocked a little on install?? they will actually install in reverse order of what theyre intended to be installed ( 180 degrees out of where the offset prongs should go)=this will cause the symptom you are describing. remove - re-index the bulb & properly install it -should cure the problem . Also make sure the socket has a spring under where the bulbs prongs meet for proper contact- sometimes the spring will break under the mating area for the contacts - allowing 1 side (contact) not to work. affraid
    dodge man
    dodge man

Post by dodge man Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:59 pm

i'll check for that also twinpilot, i just got done with all the insolation, i'll get to the turn signal problem tomorrow and take some pictures of the insolation,
    dodge man
    dodge man

Post by dodge man Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:26 am

i found my turn signal problem, what a birds nest, someone used a jumper wire from the brake switch to the left signal, i checked the manual and the wire from the brake switch witch is black should go to the white wire from the turn signal harness, i found the white wire and conected the two and all the lights work great, why do people that dont know what there doing screw with wires under a dash, i finally got the birds nest sorted out, i'm also replaceing all the speed nuts behind the parking lights that should help with and grounding problems

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:26 am