VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+28
cole63
savage
whalemstr
jrdunn96
RodStRace
WYO George
westcoastvanner
DennisStuy
wideload
Riconine
292fan
canudigit
Bruce67Econoline
samsvan
econopoor
edfields
Seth G
Deluxxx
Magic Bus
Abitibi
Big W
donivan65
dix
sarge1947
vanny
uante
back2thewoods
Tice84
32 posters

Thijs and Robin's USA adventure trip

Tice84
    Tice84

Number of posts : 124
    Registration date : 2015-10-10

Thijs and Robin's USA adventure trip Empty Thijs and Robin's USA adventure trip

Post by Tice84 Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:46 am

Hey guys,

The last few years I've been visiting this site as I really love the early Econoline vans. So now I decided it might be a good thing to join Vintage Vans myself!

My name is Thijs (pronounced as Tice in English), a 30 year old guy living in Utrecht, The Netherlands. That's right, in Europe! We don't have much of these early vans driving around here, and I don't own myself yet. But that will change, and that is also why I joined. I'll tell you something about my plans.

For years now I've been thinking of buying my own early E-van. I've been an American Classis Car enthusiast for since I was about 16 years old, visiting meetings in The Netherlands, Belgium, France, Germany, the UK and Sweden over the years. I'm quite into early hot rods and custom cars, but I also think some cars are great as they are.

So now I've been living in some Dutch city's (The Hague, Amsterdam and now Utrecht) for some years, and the streets and parking space isn't really made for these big American classics here. So I decided to a classis that was a bit smaller in size, but still had a great classic feel. I bought myself a 1972 Volvo 142 Deluxe. It also helps these cars are quite affordable and parts are good to come by overhere. I've been driving that car for some time, had a lot of fun but also had to repair a lot. After a while I decided it was getting to rusty and it needed to get restored. I'm now in the proces of restoring it. It needs a lot of body work done, but replacement sheet metal is available for most rusty parts. At this moment, I'm getting the body totally striped down to get it to a company which will sandblast it to get all rust gone. After I will start replacing the bad parts.

So, back to my plans of buying an early Econoline. As I said I've been thinking of buying one for years now. Here in Europe, these cars are really hard to find, and if you find one, it is a fully restored one selling for 10k minimum. No option for me, plus I don't like a car that is "finished". That's where the plan came up to buy a van in the USA, as that is where the cars are from. So I started searching the internet, and found this site. Great to see people are posting all these vans for sale! Now I could find nice looking vans, but I think it is hard to tell a car is a good car on only pictures and words. You have to be able to inspect it yourself. Now I started thinking that if I wanted to buy a van in the US, it would be good to go there myself, inspect the van and then buy it.

While talking to my girlfriend about this, showing here pictures of Econoline vans, she also started to be exicited about getting such a van. She used to go camping in a van with her parents when she was young, and also did some surfingtrips in vans, so she could totaly see herself driving in this van. While talking about it, plans started to get more serious, but why travel all the way to just buy a van. It would make more sence to make it a holiday. And if it is a holiday, and buying a van we intend to go camping with, wouldn't it be awesome to buy a van and go camping with it?! It would need some extra planning, arranging things and money, but it sounds like an adventure!

So here we are, planning our trip. We have started saving for this trip almost a year ago. Rough plans where there already, but getting finetuned now. We intend to go in May 2016 for a 3 month trip, taking full advantage of our tourist visum. I'm thinking of starting a topic on this trip, with details on our preparations of this trip.

I will probably have questions or need suggestions on my trip and the van I want to buy, so I hope you guys can help me with good advice!
    back2thewoods
    back2thewoods

Number of posts : 842
    Registration date : 2008-05-26

Thijs and Robin's USA adventure trip Empty Re: Thijs and Robin's USA adventure trip

Post by back2thewoods Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:30 am

sounds like a plan,welcome aboard!!
    uante
    uante

Number of posts : 1466
    Registration date : 2014-01-26

Thijs and Robin's USA adventure trip Empty Re: Thijs and Robin's USA adventure trip

Post by uante Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:44 am

Welcome Thijs!
    Quite an adventurous plan...looking forward to seeing your thread about this as it happens. Also it never hurts to have the girlfriend on board with your projects! I'm lucky that way too Smile
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:49 am

Welcome aboard Tice! That sounds like a fantastic adventure. It's great to see so much interest in these classic vans overseas! Please take plenty of pictures and let us know where you will be traveling. There are members scattered all across the country who can be very helpful here.

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    sarge1947
    sarge1947

Number of posts : 10
    Registration date : 2015-10-01

Post by sarge1947 Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:27 am

Welcome. Years ago we visited Utrecht many times. Stayed at a place called Squirrel Forest or Eichhörnchen Wald in German. When you get over here stop by for a visit.

Sarge out
    Tice84
    Tice84

Post by Tice84 Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:25 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! I will for sure let you know where we will be traveling and post pictures. Probably this week I will start a topic on our trip and the preparations we are doing. Guess it will be in the "Camping Trips" section, seems a good place for it.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:47 pm

welcome to vintage vans, i'm sure the ford gang will not steer you wrong.
    depending on where your travels take you , two points of interest could be
    Niagara falls in the buffalo New York area , Next to Canada, also the
    Grand Canyon in Arizona is two nice choices, , Washington is a good place to find a early with
    minimal rust

Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:32 pm

I surely like to follow a story from the beginning,,,,,,,,and if you look in our Members Showcase Section, you can see a lot of them,,,,,,,so,,,,,I can move this topic there and you can continue with whatever you want to say and do,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Tice84
    Tice84

Post by Tice84 Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:00 am

Sure, lets do it!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:36 am

what time is it by you,,,,,,,,I am writing this at 11:35 AM, Monday morning, in California, 1/2 hour after you posted the above,,,,,,
    Tice84
    Tice84

Post by Tice84 Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:44 am

Thanks for moving this topic, I think I have to come up with a proper title now Smile It is 8:40 pm Monday evening here, so 9 hours later. Already after diner, end of the day. Funny to think you still have most of the day ahead of you....
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:54 am

I am just getting up,,,,,,answering van questions,,,,,,,I was thinking of changing your heading to Thijs is Tice,,,,,,,,instead of New to VV,,,,,,see if you you can click EDIT and change it,,,,,,,,
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:00 pm

Welcome to VV. Can't waite to see what you purchase, and to fallow along.
    Abitibi
    Abitibi
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 479
    Registration date : 2014-06-23

Post by Abitibi Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:12 pm

Welcome aboard Thijs!

There will be at least 2 old econoline coming to Europe in the next month or so. I sold mine to Jonas (he's now a member here as well, Joe-a-gogo.) from Belgium and Dennis also from the Netherlands (DennisStuy on this forum) just bought one as well. Both are the Falcon model. So you might be in luck to get in touch with Denis or Jonas and maybe even borrow their rides for a test drive Wink

Make sure to come and visit us in Vancouver BC, gorgeous place!

Happy hunting!

Cheers
    Mr. D
    Tice84
    Tice84

Post by Tice84 Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:07 pm

It's been a few busy weeks since I started this topic, but now I got some more time to get back to this topic on our plans to go to the USA in May.

My girlfriend Robin and I made a list a while ago to see what we have to think about and take care of,  because this won't be a regular holiday trip. This is our list:

1. Where do we fly to, and from where do we fly back home?

2. What is a good time to book tickets?

3. The Van
    3.1 How does it work to get the van on my name (papers/license plates etc.)
    3.2 How can we get an insurance on the van, and where do we get is.
    3.3 What is good place to ship the car from.
    3.4 How do arrange the shipping (do we arrange it ourselfs, get a company to do it, use RORO or container shipping?)
    3.5 What type of Econoline van do we want.

4 Van Interior

4.1 What do we want to have in the van
    4.2 What layout will work for us?
    4.3 What tools do we need to build the interior when we bought the van
    4.4 What materials do we need to build the interior when we bought the van

5. Make a holiday soundtrack

6. Check insurances (Travel / Health / Car / Emergency Roadside Assistance)

7. Get Visa (USA /Canada)

8. Make a sightseeing list

9. Check the climate of the area's we want to go to, make a rough travelplan with this info

10. Rent out our appartment when we are gone

11. Make a packlist

12. Check out possibility to send souvenirs/spare parts/other stuff we like to take back home to, so we can pick it up at the end of our trip an put it in the container with the van.

13. Check possibility to share a container with someone else / other car.

14. Make a budget (fuel / groceries / daybudget)

So this is our guide to planning our trip. Do you guys have suggestions on things you think we forget in this list?

This week I'll be back with a post on some things we found out or have come up with, now it's time to watch a movie and go to bed Smile

By the way, thanks Mr D. for the info, I'll see if I can get in touch with Dennis and Jonas. And it is in our plan to visit Vancouver!

And Don, I can't seem to find the EDIT button. In the FAQ I read something about that it's there for limited amount of time?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:34 pm

so you are here in the members section,,,,,and do you want me to try and change the title of this topic to Thijs is Tice or anything else while I am at it ?
    Tice84
    Tice84

Post by Tice84 Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:54 am

Yes that would be nice, thanks! Make it "Thijs and Robin's USA adventure trip"
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:24 am

Ok,,,,,lets see what happens,,,,,,,I did make a copy of some of your posts,,,,,,in case,,,,,,,things dont turn out exactly right,,,,,,,,
    Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

Post by Magic Bus Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:50 pm

Welcome, good luck and looking forward to your journey.
    Tice84
    Tice84

Post by Tice84 Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:57 am

Thanks Don!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:22 pm

I do a 5000 mile Road Trip every May,,,,,,San Diego to Chicago and all points in between,,,,,,,if you want to see whats out there on the road along Route 66,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Deluxxx
    Deluxxx

Number of posts : 131
    Registration date : 2015-09-24

Post by Deluxxx Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:52 pm

That's one heck of a thorough checklist! If I have any suggestions it is to go to SF for a chilly walk on the wharf and eat steaming clam chowder our of a fresh sourdough bowl! After that you can hit the very scenic HWY 1 South and stay the night in Big Sur. The sights are amazing and the best California has to offer!
    Tice84
    Tice84

Post by Tice84 Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:07 am

Having dinner in SF and take the HWY 1 to Big Sur sounds great. Googled some pictures of Big Sur, looks fantastic. Thanks for the suggestion Deluxxx!

If you are driving from San Diego to Chicago, big chance our roads will cross somewhere in between, Don.

Tice84
    Tice84

Post by Tice84 Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:56 pm

So, we can cross of #1 and #2 off of our list. We bought our tickets!

We will be flying on May 10th from Amsterdam to Los Angeles, with a small stop in Zurich, Switzerland. On August 6th, 88 days later, we will fly back home from Seattle, with a stop in Washington DC.

In exactly half a year we will be in Los Angeles, that's an amazing thing to look forward to. I'm really excited about it!

Apperently, buying tickets now gives a good deal. We found quite cheap tickets, flying with United, with layovers that's only about 2 hours both in Zurich and Washington.

So it will be Los Angeles where we start. We want to travel around in the south western states, that is where I will look for a van. Anywhere between LA and Dallas would be ok, for our plans to travel the southwest to the northwest. Maybe we will need an extra domestical flight, but these aren't to expensive.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:32 pm

so you would be looking to buy an Early Ford Van,,,,,,,1961-67,,,,,,,,,a 3 speed manual or automatic transmission?,,,,,,,a window van or a panel?,,,,,,,,,,a fixer upper,,,,,,or one fully done?,,,,,
    what about a Chevy or Dodge Early?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 2:42 pm