VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+28
cole63
savage
whalemstr
jrdunn96
RodStRace
WYO George
westcoastvanner
DennisStuy
wideload
Riconine
292fan
canudigit
Bruce67Econoline
samsvan
econopoor
edfields
Seth G
Deluxxx
Magic Bus
Abitibi
Big W
donivan65
dix
sarge1947
vanny
uante
back2thewoods
Tice84
32 posters

Thijs and Robin's USA adventure trip

jrdunn96
    jrdunn96

Number of posts : 690
    Registration date : 2016-01-01

Thijs and Robin's USA adventure trip - Page 6 Empty Re: Thijs and Robin's USA adventure trip

Post by jrdunn96 Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:36 pm

If you need help while you are here in central OK, let me know.  I am supposed to work tomorrow morning but should be around tomorrow evening, Saturday & Sunday.  PM me if need help or something.  Welcome!
    Jim
    uante
    uante

Number of posts : 1466
    Registration date : 2014-01-26

Thijs and Robin's USA adventure trip - Page 6 Empty Re: Thijs and Robin's USA adventure trip

Post by uante Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:40 am

While on our trip, Amy and I were lucky enough to be able to meet Tice and Robin since we probably wouldn't be in Arizona when they pass through. Although we only had a short visit before getting back on the road, it was Great to see their new van and how they cleverly fixed it up for their Camping Adventure!

Thijs and Robin's USA adventure trip - Page 6 Vv_tic10

It was nice to meet you Tice and Robin, Hope you have safe and memorable travels! Maybe catch you in Arizona if you hang out there long enough!
    Tice84
    Tice84

Number of posts : 124
    Registration date : 2015-10-10

Post by Tice84 Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:04 am

So we had to wait a few days for the radiator, they messed up shipping so it did take longer then we hoped.  But now the new radiator is installed it is a lot more fun to drive!

I got a Champion 6065LD aluminum one, it fits perfect, but it is a bit of a challenge to get it in with the doghouse being more narrow at the top. And I had to bend a bracket a little to get it past the connection rod that goes to the carb.

We met Brent and Amy in Red Rock Canyon, which is a beautiful place close to the I-40, also close to the Route 66. Here's a nice pic of the van at Lucilles Service Station

Thijs and Robin's USA adventure trip - Page 6 Img_2013
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:59 am

Sounds like you're having fun now. Thanks for the pics and I hope the rest of the trip goes smoothly for you.

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:02 pm

I had the great pleasure to meet and spend some time with Thijs and Robin today. They regaled me with tales of their great adventure and I bored them with the histories of some of the vans in the backyard. I wish them well on the journey. The Econoline was up to the task of traversing the area despite the heat (100 F or 37.8 C) and elevation (4600' or 1400 meters).
    What a great pair of vanners and what fun they are having.

Thijs and Robin's USA adventure trip - Page 6 Tumblr_lqneazBtE71r1w241o1_500
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:54 pm

Great news Rod! They are getting to do what a Lot of us here would love to do. Getting to meet some great people from this site and tour around in a Vintage Van! You always have the best clips. If Tommy gives them the thumbs up, they must be good people! cheers lol!

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    whalemstr
    whalemstr

Number of posts : 248
    Registration date : 2012-06-27

Post by whalemstr Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:06 am

i'm in northern california if you make it up this way...
    dan
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:51 pm

vanny wrote: You always have the best clips. If Tommy gives them the thumbs up, they must be good people! cheers lol!

Thijs and Robin's USA adventure trip - Page 6 18532-dexter-dexter-laughing
    Tice84
    Tice84

Post by Tice84 Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:13 pm

It's been a while since my last post. Rod posted something about our visit in nothern Arizona. It's was great to meet him and see the Dodges, really had a good time.

From the point we put the radiator in, we could really pick up the pace on our travels. Although we still do max about 60mph ofcourse, haha. We got to see Arizona in the Tucson area including the WW2 planes collection of the Pima Air & Space museum, had a quick stop at the Heard museum in Phoenix and then went north to see Rod. Camped in the Sedona area, went to see the Grand Canyon from different spots, which was breathtaking. Spent a night at Lake Powel and went to see Antilope Canyon, which is spectacular.

From there we set of to Colorado. First stop was Mesa Verde where we had a tour at Balcony House. Then we got up the mountains near Durango, swimming in lakes and hot springs. Dragged the van over a 10900ft pass to Ouray. Although it isn't going fast uphill, the van is doing great in the mountains. Went in the direction of Aspen and hiked on different sides of the Maroon Bells. And saw some bears! I do really like the mountains, it's so beautiful!

From Aspen we spent some days crossing over to California, making stops at the Colorado River and Great Basin NP. We spent a day visiting Yosemite, which was very crowded but very beautiful. The last weekend we spend with a friend in San Francisco, because it is a great city to visit, but also because everybody told us getting a campspot would be hard around 4th of July.

So now where starting the second leg of our travels, going up North. Really looking forward to it!
    Tice84
    Tice84

Post by Tice84 Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:18 pm

Thijs and Robin's USA adventure trip - Page 6 Img_2013

Thijs and Robin's USA adventure trip - Page 6 Img_2014
    Tice84
    Tice84

Post by Tice84 Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:19 pm

Thijs and Robin's USA adventure trip - Page 6 Img_2016
    uante
    uante

Post by uante Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:48 pm

NICE!!! Good to hear the van is doing well! Makes me wanna road trip mine further than to Safeway for groceries! Razz
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:04 pm

Sounds exciting! Glad to hear all is going smooth for you...Enjoy and Thanks for keeping us posted. Would love to see some pics later when you have time. Wink

Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:24 pm

Glad to hear all is well. Keep those pics coming. cheers
    Tice84
    Tice84

Post by Tice84 Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:59 am

Thijs and Robin's USA adventure trip - Page 6 20160710

Thijs and Robin's USA adventure trip - Page 6 20160610

Thijs and Robin's USA adventure trip - Page 6 20160612

Thijs and Robin's USA adventure trip - Page 6 20160611
    Tice84
    Tice84

Post by Tice84 Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:02 pm

Top to bottom: California Coast; Meeting a Minnasota family who where traveling with 5 in a VW van, somewhere in Utah; Camping at Valecito Lake; The Graaaaaand Canyon!
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:41 pm

Did the deer have any doe? Yah, two bucks!!! Sorry, old 3 Stooges gag...

Beautiful scenery! Very Happy

Tice84
    Tice84

Post by Tice84 Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:40 pm

Since my last post we spend sometime in Nothern California, but is was cold for a few days, so we decided to go more inland when we got to Oregon. But we went to see the Red Woods, which are beautiful when it's a bit rainy. Also, we now know an Econoline while just barely fit through the Drive Thru Tree!

Next up was Crater Lake, cold and beautiful. The color of the water is amazing. We drove up to Portland, where we stayed at family of Robin's, which was nice. Got to see some of Portland and went up the river to see the waterfalls. Pretty big!

Now we went up to Washingon, currently at the San Juan Islands. Although there was no possibility to get campsite reservations, we tried our luck, got the 6.25am ferry and found a campsite later that day. Today we are lucky to, someone decided to leave early and we could take the spot. It's great to hang out on the island, really nice. Although we didn't really see any whales yet.

The van was doing well untill a few days ago. A part of the exhaust manifold gasket came out, so it is making quite some noise now. Next to that, coolant started leaking at the thermostat housing. Aaaaand, the engine is puffing out oil through the filler cap. Duane helpt me figure out it might be the pcv valve, so I replaced it. But it seems now it doesn't help. This morning I had the engine running for only a minute, and directly the hot oilsmoke came up at the filler cap. Anyone has a clue what might be the problem? Maybe broken piston rings?
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:24 pm

Thijs and Robin's USA adventure trip - Page 6 Tumblr_ma2r85OViG1qbdycho1_
    you might be?
    How about instead, try
    Thijs and Robin's USA adventure trip - Page 6 Youvegotmailtomhanks
    Thijs and Robin's USA adventure trip - Page 6 You've%20got%20mail%20gif
    uante
    uante

Post by uante Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:54 pm

While Tice and Robin work on their van's engine, I volunteered to crop and post the picture of the drive through the tree with his message...

"The tree only 'kissed' the roof at one point a little, haha. Quite some experience, but Robin drove it very good through it!"

Thijs and Robin's USA adventure trip - Page 6 Far10

Thijs and Robin's USA adventure trip - Page 6 Close10
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2625
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:25 am

Hope they can find & fix problem soon(& cheeply) Anybody from site close,and have vac gauge?
    Wow that was a tight fit
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:50 am

if you have pressure coming out of the oil filler cap, its compression coming from the piston,,,,,,you could take a compression test to see if there is a hole in a piston,,,,,,
    Tice84
    Tice84

Post by Tice84 Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:54 pm

So I am at Seth G's now in Anacortes. We did a compression test and checked under the valve cover. Valves where all working, we hoped it was a stuck valve or so. All cilinders are over 120 psi, except for number 6: 20 psi so it is dead.

I think the best thing for us to do now is to find a replacement engine, because fixing it up would be to time consuming and too expensive....

If anyone has anything on a reasonable 170 or 200 for sale in the area, please let me know!
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:07 am

We're going to put a scope in the plug hole tomorrow and look for a hole.... Compression is nil on #6
    vanny
    vanny

Post by vanny Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:25 am

It's nice to see the Vanning family pitching in to help out! Hope someone can find an engine for them.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:31 am