BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

Thijs and Robin's USA adventure trip

vanny

Number of posts : 8322
Registration date : 2012-09-22

Re: Thijs and Robin's USA adventure trip

Post by vanny on Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:58 pm

@ Ed Fields and Tice84: You know the saying here, "If there's no pictures, it never really happened" ... just kidding but yes, we'd all LOVE to see some pics if you get a chance.

@ Tice84: By the way, I spoke with my insurance person and she talked with the owner and said that the main problem with insuring in a foreign country is that you need a residential address to insure. They said that insurance laws can vary quite a bit state by state also.

They said that they actually have a client that is going to be doing some work in Costa Rica and needs to get vehicle insurance there. They are working on it for him. So, they said that either you find an insurance company in the Netherlands that can get it set up for you or look further into the specialty insurances like Grundy and ask them if they have some type of special insurance that would cover your situation.

Evidently, this situation doesn't seem to happen very often at least in their world. Please let us know how it turns out because who knows, maybe someone else might end up in the same situation someday and need some assistance.

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2015-10-10

Post by Tice84 on Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:52 am

Well, I didn't really find the van, all credits go to Duane Econopoor. After my post in the wanted section, he contacted me because he knew about a van for sale. He got me in touch with the owner, and has been a great help to me from there on.

It is a 1966 Supervan, original Californian van, great shape, only some surface rust. Duane and his friend put some new parts in it, so it drives well. It already had newer seat upholstery, which also very welcome Very Happy The guys are currently doing some more work on the car to get it in even better shape, so it will be in top condition for our trip. As you understand, we are very thankfull for all the help we get! I'm at work now, I'll get to posting pics later, hope I can get some time for it tonight.

At work it is all getting to a climax now, I'm managing a project that has to be finished just before we leave. Funny thing is all I can think about is driving the van in the USA, haha.

Thanks for checking the insurance issue with your friend, vanny. I've been digging in some more info on it, and have read more stories of more people from the Netherlands who have been trying to do the same. It all comes to the adress you need, like you said. I've read some people even managed to get in insurance using a hotel adress.... Don't think that would be very handy, but there should be possibilities.
vanny

Post by vanny on Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:46 am

Congrats Tice, I'm glad that Duane was able to get you hooked up with a nice van! I hope to one day be able to meet him in person because he's a Great asset to this site as well as many others who go out of their way to assist vanners who share the same passion for these gems!!!

At-A-Boy Duane and Friends! cheers cheers cheers Got any pics you could share? Hint, hint, hint lol!

Number of posts : 1112
Registration date : 2014-01-26

Post by uante on Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:46 am

That's great Tice! Especially the way it's gone down with Duane being able to tighten it up a bit before you get here. Looking forward to the Pics!
econopoor
Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1741
Registration date : 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor on Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:50 am

This is the Van. It was a Pac Bell van. It's in very solid condition. No rust. It had a wrap on it and was being used for advertising. 170, three speed with a factory 9 inch. Runs good. New clutch, alt, radiator, and I'm not sure what else. My friend Jim bought it to fix up but changed his mind and bought a 66 pickup instead. I'm going through some things trying to make sure it's roadworthy. Not much can go wrong with these. They are pretty simple. We'll put together a road package for Tice as well. Some SAE wrenches and things he doesn't have. And a list of people across this country incase he has trouble. I'm sure there are enough of us to help him along if need be.

Duane.
uante

Number of posts : 1112
Registration date : 2014-01-26

Post by uante on Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:27 am

Looks pretty straight...good deal! Tice if you want to park it in Phoenix and take a rental car to Death Valley like you mentioned, you can park it at my house.
Bruce67Econoline

Number of posts : 809
Registration date : 2014-01-25

Post by Bruce67Econoline on Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:07 am

I might have a bunch of old Sae wrenches and some sockets I can add to it if you need it.Would love to help with an old American welcome.

Last edited by Bruce67Econoline on Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total
vanny

Post by vanny on Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:17 am

That's looks like just what Tice was looking for. He's got to be thrilled that you were able to get him hooked up and went the extra mile to get it roadworthy!!! Congrats to all!

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2015-04-19

Post by edfields on Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:32 am

Wow, so nice of you guys to help put that together for him!
Tice, that what we call some "good 'ol boys" !!

That extended body will be nice for an extensive trip as well. It will take some time to get used to driving a panel van (reduced visibility) but it gives you more privacy while camping, and offers more cargo space. I have a similar window setup and it allows for all the walls to become storage...

I'm excited for you. Would love to go for a cruise or camp if you're in the Bay Area.
Tice84

Post by Tice84 on Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:09 am

As you see, these guys are simply amazing! But I must say, most people on this forum are very kind and helpfull. It would have made our trip much more difficult without all the info and help we find here.... so thanks guys!

One of the first things we need to do when arriving in the US is getting a prepaid phone card. That would make it much easier and cheaper to call.

Bruce, it would be very welcome, although I don't know what Duane already has. He didn't tell me about this until now Wink

Brent, thanks for the offer! We'll be in Phoenix for sure, so we'll drop by anyway!

Ed, sounds like a nice plan. We'll probably be in the Bay Area somewhere end of June

And yes, Vanny, I'm very thrilled about all this!
canudigit

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2016-04-15

Post by canudigit on Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:06 am

Been following this thread along and boy what a great team effort! It turned out to be quite a cool van! What kind of wheels are those?? I kinda really like them Laughing !
Tice84

Post by Tice84 on Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:12 am

Actually the wheels are not on the van, it has originals wheels with hubcaps, but I will replace them with smoothies with babymoons
vanny

Post by vanny on Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:04 pm

I think the wheels that were in the pictures look like Keystone mags, just in case canudigit wants to research.

Post by canudigit on Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:07 am

Thanks Vanny! I'll keep an eye out for some.
292fan

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2016-04-07

Post by 292fan on Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:33 am

nice van tice, looks like a really good, solid starting spot. I'm digging this thread, and looking forward to more pictures and tales, once you guys get state side and going on the cross country trip.
Tice84

Post by Tice84 on Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:26 pm

Went to visit Dennis yesterday. He bought a van from a member of this forum some time ago, and is now working on floor in the front. Checked out his van before and it's nice to see an Econoline on this side of the ocean. Next to see his progress with the floor, we also copied his carpet and wall- and door panel on paper, so I have templates to make a floor and panels when we get to putting a basic interior in our van. Hope it saves us a lot of time!

vanny

Post by vanny on Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:42 pm

Nice and Good Idea with copying the panels. Does yours have a dash skirt like Dennis'? I love the skirts cause they hide the wires, etc under the dash!

Governor
Governor

Number of posts : 11297
Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 on Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:54 pm

,,,I will be heading East next week,,,,,these Next Exit books list everything along the roads in America,,,,,,I surely use them to find Rest Stops along the way to spend the night,,,,,,

canudigit

Post by canudigit on Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:23 pm

Wanna camp for free?? Walmart welcomes overnight RV parking. You can go in, buy supplies, use the facilities and then head over to the next stop! There's a walmart in every town!
Tice84

Post by Tice84 on Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:34 pm

Looks like a handy book Don. Maybe I'll get on! See you along the 40 then Wink

I've also heard about overnight parking at wallmart, and that they have free wifi too. Might be handy sometime, but I think we'll be looking for a bit more scenic most of the time Wink
Seth G
Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 1555
Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G on Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:07 pm

If you guy's find yourselves in NW Washington let me know!
Bruce67Econoline

Number of posts : 809
Registration date : 2014-01-25

Post by Bruce67Econoline on Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:10 am

If you make it to historic Charleston, you are more than welcome to use our apartment downstairs. We have tons of parts here as well.
Riconine

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2016-01-03

Post by Riconine on Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:45 am

Hi Thijs & Robin
I've been following the thread. You're off on a Great adventure. & that looks like a sweet E.
If you're using a computer on the road, check out Trip Wizard. Paid subscription but it will really helps with trip planning. Shows Camp grounds, gas, food, sights, even Wallymarts.

http://www.rvtripwizard.com/

Also if you get out to Tacoma, Wa check out the Lemay Auto Museum. Worth the trip.

https://www.americascarmuseum.org/

Enjoy the ride. Cheers - Ric Cool
Tice84

Post by Tice84 on Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:36 am

Thanks guys, appreciate it!

Last night my brother and I where talking interior details. This was the result, haha
vanny

Post by vanny on Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:55 am

Hopefully, you two have a good "grasp" of what this drawing means because let me tell you, I'm just a little bit lost!!! I guess if you stare at it long enough, some of it starts to make sense? scratch

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 23, 2017 3:23 pm