VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+6
dix
dodge man
Twinpilot001
donivan65
Digz
millwright71
10 posters

Brake pressure problem

Brake pressure problem Empty Brake pressure problem

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:19 pm

This question is actually for my father in law. He has a '64 A100 pick up three window with a 273/3 on the tree. He recently did the scarebird front disc upgrade. Once he put everything back together he cannot get the brake system to hold the pressure. Once he bleeds the system he has to pump the pedal to get pressure but if he lets it sit and presses the pedal it goes straight to the floor. He's tried three different master cylinders which bench bleed fine. He also has a proportioning valve as well. We cannot figure out what the problem is. Anyone have any ideas at all? Anything? We are stuck. Thanks.

Chad
    millwright71
    millwright71

Number of posts : 531
    Registration date : 2012-05-28

Brake pressure problem Empty Re: Brake pressure problem

Post by millwright71 Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:27 pm

Sounds like a bleed problem, I know from experience these things are difficult to bleed to say the least. I bought a V12 pressure bleed tool to get the job done on mine.

Tom
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:38 pm

Sorry I havent followed Scarebird thread all the way. Are you guys running residual valves in the dodge set up? Something else to check on your FILs truck, make sure the calipers are moving freely in the brackets and your not fighting a spring action causing it to take alot to engage and making it return to far. Just an idea.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:38 pm

One thing I notice is that you run into bleeding problems with a 2 line system,,,,,if you completely bleed one line, it will stop you from getting the air out of the 2nd one because the 1st one stops the piston from pushing out all the air in the 2nd line,,,,,try just to bleed a little air out of one and go over to the other one on the same pedal pump,,,,,try it a couple of times so that both lines catch up to each other,,,,,or you just got a real bad luck with those master cylinders,,,,,
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:40 pm

some calipers -in the way they mount will sometimes need to be removed from the mounts & bled. This is due to placement of the bleeder screw being below the "TOP" of the brake fluid area, allowing some air never to be able to be bled out. Take a look at this area & if ness = remove the caliper -& bleed -one at a time making sure the blead screw is at the "TOP:" of the small resivious area on the caliper. Might also look at any lines having a "High Point" area-that could be retaining air ??pressure bleading is the best way to go alos.

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:44 pm

Thanks for the advice. I remember he did have an issue with the calipers at first but he fixed that. He bought some kind of pressure bleeder but I don't know if he's gotten to use it yet. I don't understand about the two line bleeding. He's using a double master cylinder. Does this make a difference?

Chad
    dodge man
    dodge man

Number of posts : 2036
    Registration date : 2012-08-08

Post by dodge man Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:32 pm

he may need a check valve, thats a one way valve that lets brake fluid flow only one way, with the master cylinder mounted lower than the lines the fluid flows back into the MC and then you have to pump the pedal to reload the brake pressure, summit sells them
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:24 pm

Not a check valve.. a residual valve,, that bleeds off to 2lbs for the disc stuff

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:08 pm

Doesn't the proportioning valve take the place of the residual valve? Maybe I'm mistaken. Where in the system would the residual valve go? There's so much to learn.

Chad
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8731
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:09 pm

did he try gravity bleed ?? fill the system up fit a tight hose to the bleeder remove the caliper and hang it so the bleeder is the highest point of the caliper and crack the line over night make sure there is fluid in the hose above the bleeder and what mc did he use.???

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:26 pm

I do believe he did gravity bleed but I do not remember the outcome of that. But based on the fact that he still has no brakes I'd venture to say that it did not work......at least like it's supposed to.

Someone before him changed the master cylinder to a dual. He used that one first since it worked. I think one came with the kit and he used that one. And he also bought another one because he thought that he ruined the first two.
    I'm pretty sure that two out of the three still bench bleed and hold pressure. I think he did damage one.

I have helped him bleed the brakes on two occasions. We did it just like you would do any other system. I didn't think that a vehicle could be "difficult" to bleed. I was under the impression that once air stopped coming out at one wheel the rest of the air would come out elsewhere. I didn't think that it could "hide" in the system.

I'm hoping to do this upgrade to my van in the near future so I am hoping to find what the issue is. Thanks again to everyone helping out.

Chad

Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:27 pm

No, a proportioning valve controls applied pressure from the M/C. A residual valve will maintain a certain amount of pressure at the caliper or wheel cylinder. I am only familiar with my GM set up so if there is something different about a Dodge , somebody please step in here. On the front disc a 2 lb residual can be used, this keeps the pads out towards the rotors. On the rear a 10 lb valve this keeps the wheel cylinders ready for action. Perhaps a proportioning valve with this stuff built in is available? I don't know. Still to me . the way it is being described it would have to be air in the system or a problem at the calipers. The way Don was saying to do each circuit a little at a time might be a route to go also. a little air in the wrong place can be aggravating.
    All these tips and techniques the guys are tossing out are good.
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:53 pm

You probably have already been thru this but here's the link to the scarebird stuff
    https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t31441p15-scarebird-brakes
    John mentions something about the rotors clearing some bolts. This would cause that springing action I mentioned if there is any contact. Making sure the rotors are flat against the hub is a must also. For that matter if there was any difficulty getting the drums off the hubs, it is very easy to have warped the hubs. It doesnt take much at the hub to make the outer edges of the rotor out of whack.

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:58 pm

I did do a bit of research but I will definitely check this out and pass it along. He did have some issues with the bolts but I believe that he figured that out and corrected it.

Chad
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:59 pm

if you did a disc brake conversion and you are still using the stock type m.c. that is the problem he is not done with the conversion you need to get a m.c. from a 1972/1973 dodge van (b100 or b200) it had disc brakes in the front and brums in the rear. an has a larger reservior. you need to cut out some steel to meke it fit http://www.flickr.com/photos/scottie8door/sets/72157619785381907/.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:00 pm

the m.c. from a 72/73 is set up for the correct preasure already. you should not need any other valves .....

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:06 pm

No, it was not the stock MC. There was already a double on the truck when he bought it. I'll have to check with him but I believe that his conversion kit came with everything or scarebird told him what to buy and he bought that. This is all good info.

Chad
    equium
    equium

Number of posts : 107
    Registration date : 2011-04-25

Post by equium Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:52 am

Here is a very good 2 page article:
    http://www.thebrakeman.com/valvetechi

I'm just starting my disc conversion as well. I learned about residual valves on one of the HorsepowerTv shows.
    Stoopid john
    Stoopid john

Number of posts : 265
    Registration date : 2011-06-03

Post by Stoopid john Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:45 pm

I have the scarebird brakes with the later b van master cylinder. I don't have any other valves at all. It sounds like you have air in the system. Make sure the bleeders are on top of the calipers and all your lines are tight. I've see loose lines hold pressure and still suck air back in.

Are the master cylinders new or rebuilt? The quality of rebuilt stuff is crap any more.
    dodge man
    dodge man

Post by dodge man Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:14 pm

i just finished mine up today and everything works great, he might have the wrong master cylinder,
    dodge man
    dodge man

Post by dodge man Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:34 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280896642857?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
    tell him to get one of these, and he wont need any residual valves or anything else, just did mine and everything works great,

Post by Guest Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:50 pm

Cool. I'm gonna take all of this info to him and we can take it one step at a time. All of the MC's he had were new except for the one that he used that was on the truck. I think he has the wagner one because the clip the holds the lid on looks really familiar.

It's starting to sound like it's just air that he has not gotten out of the system. We will have to check and see if the bleeders are on top. If there's more info keep posting for sure but I think we have a consensus.

Chad
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:10 pm

last night i said to remove the calipers and hang them and gravity bleed. try to get the bleeder as high as you can . it doesn't hurt to turn them back and forth to try to get a air pocket to move.

Post by Guest Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:00 am

I spoke to him this morning. He does have the wagner MC so that should work. He did say that the bleeders are on the bottom of the caliper so he is going to try removing them and turning them up. He also said that he has removed the front brake lines from the proportioning valve and left the back brakes attached and he has full pressure....so the problem appears to be exclusive to the front.

He also told me that he has a vacuum bleeder. He bled the back brakes with the vac bleeder and it worked fine. He tried the front brakes and he cannot get the fluid to come out of the bleeder. Any ideas on that? I think that he was running it through the proportioning valve when he did that.

His next course of action is to take the prop valve out of the equation and see if that's an issue.

Chad
    dodge man
    dodge man

Post by dodge man Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:08 am

once he has the calipers on the right side with the bleeders up, that will fix his problem, cheers

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 11:46 am