VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

brake problem

brake problem Empty brake problem

Post by Guest Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:24 pm

was wondering what is the correct bore for 1965 g 10 rear wheel cylinders 7/8 or 15/16 ?? auto zone wanted to know what my differential ratio was which i dont know...rear chunk has 10 bolts..i took the wheel cylinder off driver side rear and it is 7/8 delco moraine....auto zone has dorman brand 7/8 for 7.99 but the thing is narrower than the one that came off so i didnt buy...they said it calls for 15/16 bore which has to be ordered and wow its 5 times more $$ 37.00...considering rebuild kits..any help would be appreciated....rebuilt the fronts and they work good.. tnx for your help..jerry
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

brake problem Empty Re: brake problem

Post by Digz Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:41 pm

Heck if you can get the rebuild kits and all the bleeders and lines came out okay, I'd rebuild them.

Post by Guest Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:51 pm

yea your right thats probally what i will do....but when i called auto zone and they said that they had the cylinders for 7.99 i thought why not just replace them for that price....but like i said their dorman cylinder was narrower by about 5/16 so i thought maybe that wouldnt work. was just wondering what is the correct application when it left the factory...tnx for the reply digz.............also the cylinders that i took off are a little pitted inside wonder if that would matter ????we want to be safe and stop well....
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:55 pm

Why do they need to know the gear ratio for brakes??? If you have the 10 bolt just tell them you have 3.36 ratio... which is what all my 1st gen 10 bolts came with. Of course there were other ratios, but that seems to be a very common one for the 10 bolt vans... it really shouldn't matter for brakes?

Post by Guest Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:58 pm

dont know the logic behind that also....
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:44 pm

The 12 bolt rear ends have a different bolt pattern and bigger bore size,,,,,10 bolt rear ends have a 7/8" bore then in late 65, they went to a 13/16" bore in the rear,,,,,
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:18 pm

chillin-n-killen wrote:yea your right thats probally what i will do....but when i called auto zone and they said that they had the cylinders for 7.99 i thought why not just replace them for that price....but like i said their dorman cylinder was narrower by about 5/16 so i thought maybe that wouldnt work. was just wondering what is the correct application when it left the factory...tnx for the reply digz.............also the cylinders that i took off are a little pitted inside wonder if that would matter ????we want to be safe and stop well....
    Get yourself a brake cylinder hone if you dont have one. they usually get out most light pitting, or in a pinch to just clean it up, find a strip of 120 emery cloth and a big cotter key to thread it through. maybe a flap wheel small enough ,,just use a drill. A die grinder would be to fast to X hatch.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:47 pm

These will probably get the job done if you have a 10 bolt,,,,,

brake problem Wheel_10

Post by Guest Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:53 pm

hey donavan auto zone has one for 7.00 but the length was shorter by about 1/4 to 5/16in length..it was a dorman brand.....will it being shorter have any effect on function ????
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:04 pm

Take yours over to Napa,,,,,see how it compares,,,,it's the pistons inside that move,,,,outside dont matter,,,,,see that the bolt holes and brake line holes look like they are in the same place as your old one,,,,,but then,,,,who says your old one is right anyways???? I would trust Napa over Dorman ,,,,,
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Post by HandiVanMan Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:19 pm

I have always rebuilt most of my wheel cylinders but when they are that cheap I just buy new ones.... I would just pull one of them off ofions of your wheels & take it with you when you go to buy them to compare it to to the new one to make sure the ones you are getting is the same as yours...,

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 7:08 pm